The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Random Hit Location
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Random Hit Location Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which hit location table you like most?
Original R&E 1D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
REUP 2D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tupteq's 1D
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Tupteq's 2D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
I'm not using random hit locations
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Random Hit Location Reply with quote

It's been a while since my last posting here, so hello to everyone Smile

I'm working on overhaul of my house rules in Star Wars and one of things I'm working on is random hit location table. My point is to direct most hits to torso, with average chance of hitting limbs and slight (but not improbable) chance of hitting head. I read couple of related topics here and also REUP (which includes result 1 on 2D Razz ) and as usual I came up with my own solution. I have two tables in mind, one simpler (1D), and one more complex (2D).

Table one, slightly modified table from R&E:

Code:

1D   Location
1    Head
2    Arm
3-5  Torso
6    Leg

This one is simple, similar to original one from R&E. It generally goes from top to bottom. 50% hits are in torso which was my point (it's sensible to have armor there, but it doesn't give you 100% warranty).

Pro of this one is simplicity (easy to remember). Cons are quite hight probability to hit the head and requirement to roll once again to determine if left or right limb was hit.

Second table (2D):

Code:

2D   Location
2    Skull
3    Left Arm
4    Left Leg
5-9  Torso
10   Right Leg
11   Right Arm
12   Face

Thank to symmetrical construction probabilities for left and right limbs are equal. Probabilities: 1/18 head, 1/9 arm, 1/6 leg, 2/3 torso. Even more torso-oriented (but still there's a probability to get hit to other body part).

Pros are better probabilities and more details (torso could be divided even further), con is the complexity.

What you think?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Tupteq! While I don't use hit locations in Star Wars, there is already a D6 hit location table ready to go from Battletech. The column used depends on which side of the target the shooter is facing. Hopefully that helps.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the methods shown, I prefer the 1D version, but absent some form of special damage result for taking a hit in the head or limb, there isn't much point to it beyond narrative (GM: "You take hit in your {rolls dice} left leg.") If there were specific penalties for getting hit in specific parts - such as an additional penalty when performing an action requiring the use of the injured limb, or a Move penalty for getting hit in the leg, I'd see it being more useful.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically throw 1d12.

1 = Head
2 = Chest
3 = Left Shoulder/Upper Arm
4 = Right Shoulder/Upper Arm
5 = Left Lower Arm/Hand
6 = Right Lower Arm/Hand
7 = Gut
8 = Groin
9 = Upper Left Leg
10 = Upper Right Leg
11 = Lower Left Leg
12 = Lower Right Leg
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hit location die. It came in handy when the group stole a pair of All Terrain Defense Turrets and they kept getting hit in the ammo bunker (which was the crotch location on the die.).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Of the methods shown, I prefer the 1D version, but absent some form of special damage result for taking a hit in the head or limb, there isn't much point to it beyond narrative (GM: "You take hit in your {rolls dice} left leg.") If there were specific penalties for getting hit in specific parts - such as an additional penalty when performing an action requiring the use of the injured limb, or a Move penalty for getting hit in the leg, I'd see it being more useful.

Agreed.. Should being shot say in the arm, impose a -1d penalty to using that limb? What of being shot in a leg?? IMO we'd really need some more stuff for that, to really justify what effect being hit in a location gives..
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use a random hit location that has the head as a result. Head shots had to be called by the player. GM was never aloud to call head shots, because we had an awful GM who would only call head shots with highly skilled shooters.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of called shots, I incorporated the called shot rules from the RAW into my scale system, so a head or limb shot would be considered a Small target, and would incur a -2D penalty to hit, but would get a +2D bonus to Damage.

As far as specialized Damage results for called shots, a leg shot could incur a Lost Move penalty, like with ships. Maybe a leg shot gets a -1D penalty to all actions and a Lost Move (can't run at All-Out).

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use called shots for characters because I use the damage/would outcome for hits to interpret hit location. If someone wants to specifically shoot the gun out of someone's hand (where the character is not the target), then yes I'll let PCs try that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid long and messy post I'll respond to all without quoting.

Why do I want to use a random hit location table? Because of cinematic realism and to raise a tension during combat. Before creating my tables I read some criminal records and I found out that 60-78% of shots hit torso or head and only 22-40% an extremity. This justifies torso-only armor (or torso+head) as very reasonable solution.

I like the idea of choosing hit location depending on damage, but my players kind of dislike it and it doesn't take into account non full-body armor.

About difficulties and effects of hitting specific location, I found rules in D6 Space (p.82) that are rewritten without change to REUP (p.96). I don't 100% agree with them (only +1D to difficulty and +12 damage seems to be inadequate), but general idea looks OK.

Battletech hit location table - it's nice, but probabilities are dedicated to mech (higher probability of hitting an overgrown hands). As I see it looks very similar to my version of 2D (little more detailed), which convinces me to work more on my 2D table Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what other benefits might one see from using hit locations, besides the obvious (BYPASSING ARMOR!!)..
Shooting a leg, knock down?
Shooting an arm, causes them to possibly drop their weapon..
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So what other benefits might one see from using hit locations, besides the obvious (BYPASSING ARMOR!!)..
Shooting a leg, knock down?
Shooting an arm, causes them to possibly drop their weapon..

REUP describes negative modifiers to skills or attributes related to each location. Besides that dropping weapon (or tumble) makes sense for me too (with stamina/willpower roll to resist).

Today I discussed this subject with my players and they agreed to not use random hit locations and interpret damage result instead. Plus, we'll use special effects for called shots.

This surprised me a little bit, but I like it. Then, I'll keep my tables for future reference and maybe some rare special situations.

Thanks everyone for feedback!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
I like the idea of choosing hit location depending on damage, but my players kind of dislike it and it doesn't take into account non full-body armor.

I can see that a GM just interpreting the rolls and dictating where someone was hit might not be liked by some players if the RAW rule is used about armor being damaged, because it could just seem arbitrary as to whether the armor was damaged or not. However in my game PCs rarely wear armor so it is hardly ever a consideration.

I'm not saying I never use random hit location in any circumstance. I just don't have called shots where you can choose a certain part of a character to hit, to get around armor and do more damage. You don't see that much at all in the films. Combat is pretty chaotic and it seems we mainly just see characters trying to score a hit, and most hits land on the torso. For mooks, I rule that Incapacitated results almost always land in the torso, and Killed results often hit the head. Regardless of whether they are wearing armor or not. And yes, that can damage the armor. If PCs want to use the armor, such as to masquerade as the mooks they are shooting, they will use stun which doesn't leave a blast mark or hole (what I presume Han used on the stormtroopers he called into the Falcon on the Death Star).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One glaringly useful scenario I can think of is, in the rare event that your PC ends up in a fight with Boba Fett, shoot him in the legs. Why? Because the full write-up on Boba Fett's armor states that the armor only protects his torso, head and arms (which is consistent with the films, as there is no visible armor plating on the Boba Fett costume in either TESB or RotJ). So aiming at his legs may be a more difficult target, but it's the difference between hitting a target with a Soak of 6D+2 or 3D+2.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
One glaringly useful scenario I can think of is, in the rare event that your PC ends up in a fight with Boba Fett, shoot him in the legs. Why? Because the full write-up on Boba Fett's armor states that the armor only protects his torso, head and arms (which is consistent with the films, as there is no visible armor plating on the Boba Fett costume in either TESB or RotJ). So aiming at his legs may be a more difficult target, but it's the difference between hitting a target with a Soak of 6D+2 or 3D+2.

The same applies to a lot of other armors.. Especially bounty hunter types, or general army types who just have flak/blast vests and helmets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: