The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Satisfying GM moment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Satisfying GM moment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4452

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Satisfying GM moment Reply with quote

I really felt like I had to share about my group yesterday. My players showed real growth in working together as a team, and letting each other have the limelight when appropriate (something that is sometimes difficult with an inter-generational game).

Yesterday they came up with the idea to break into a BOSS office to steal starship records to track down a salvager. They called it "Heist at the space-DMV."
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5759
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Satisfying GM moment Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I really felt like I had to share about my group yesterday. My players showed real growth in working together as a team, and letting each other have the limelight when appropriate (something that is sometimes difficult with an inter-generational game).

Yesterday they came up with the idea to break into a BOSS office to steal starship records to track down a salvager. They called it "Heist at the space-DMV."

Awesome. Sounds like a satisfying and fun adventure.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 10 May 2006
Posts: 984
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devious and effective. I like it!

Sounds like you're getting a lot of buy-in from your players and that reflects great credit upon you and your game universe.
_________________
Aha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 12480
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have interesting potential consequences if some of the theories about BoSS turn out to be correct. Per Wookieepedia, BoSS is semi-autonomous even under the Empire because of their control over the astrogation route database. Your PCs might find difficulties in the future if they get found out and blacklisted by BoSS. Good luck updating your navigation charts.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ray
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 31 Oct 2003
Posts: 1449
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my group because they know that NPCs are characters in and of themselves, and actually try to find out about them, learn about them, check in on them and what they're doing.

Most recently was last night's Star Wars game where they were sent out to extract CC-2223 (AKA: Commander Cody!) from an Imperial Training Facility that was pretty much an entire moon.

They got him an officer's uniform, a blaster, encouraging words, and, after finding out he had been tagged like some item in a discount store and set off an alarm about "Theft Of Imperial Property", finally had enough and snapped. Ripped the blaster out of a PC's holster, pulled out his own blaster, and demonstrated why you don't let Clone Troopers have two pistols.

The group fully supported him in every way, and had to deal with a hostile exfiltration with Flak Batteries (Starfighter-Scale Turbolaser Towers on the surface as they escaped atmosphere) and a Tie Fighter swarm.

When they found out that Cody's first stop was to brain surgery, they did a total WTF, and demanded to know why, where they learned about the control chips that forced clones to obey the Executive Orders, no matter what.

Honestly, aside from the fact that he is too OP, I think they'd love to have him on the ship as part of the crew. And one of them is an Experimental Battledroid Commando: "I would have loved to have fought beside you."
_________________
"And you, sitting in that turret, doing nothing but pick your nose..." "Just marking my kills." - Fitz and S.C. MacDuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4452

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Devious and effective. I like it!

Sounds like you're getting a lot of buy-in from your players and that reflects great credit upon you and your game universe.


Thanks. I'm trying some new things. I dropped them into a sector that I've entirely made up, with some background notes and sketches for the Moff's MO, I've asked for their backstories and motivations, and created a bit of a tapestry of how their backstories interweave with some of the setting.

Then I sent them into the sector with a dossier from Rebel Intelligence. If there's something that we need to know, they can "look in the dossier." Basically, it means that they have character knowledge of things we're yet establishing.

Then we have a "name it and claim it" attitude toward certain things in the sector. Such as the question last time was, "Is there a Salvager's Guild like there is a Bounty Hunter's Guild?" I'll tell them, "Name it and claim it." Then they say, "Where can we connect with the Salvager's Guild?" And another player will say, "I think I remember that from the dossier!" As long as it's reasonable, I let it stand.

We don't have set adventure points to open and close, and instead favoring some longer-form storytelling. I don't know that it would work for a different group, but I think it's working for this one.
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5759
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Thanks. I'm trying some new things. I dropped them into a sector that I've entirely made up, with some background notes and sketches for the Moff's MO, I've asked for their backstories and motivations, and created a bit of a tapestry of how their backstories interweave with some of the setting.

Then I sent them into the sector with a dossier from Rebel Intelligence. If there's something that we need to know, they can "look in the dossier." Basically, it means that they have character knowledge of things we're yet establishing.

Then we have a "name it and claim it" attitude toward certain things in the sector. Such as the question last time was, "Is there a Salvager's Guild like there is a Bounty Hunter's Guild?" I'll tell them, "Name it and claim it." Then they say, "Where can we connect with the Salvager's Guild?" And another player will say, "I think I remember that from the dossier!" As long as it's reasonable, I let it stand.

We don't have set adventure points to open and close, and instead favoring some longer-form storytelling. I don't know that it would work for a different group, but I think it's working for this one.

I absolutely love this. I have no qualms about player-generated continuity, but it seems like you have taken what I've done even further and are having success with it. You're an inspiration! Please continue sharing about your campaign.
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0