The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Video Games/Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Star Wars Video Games/Music Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the soundrack is probably going to be a different kind of process with those games. I wouldn't even begin to speculate on how it would be done.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Getting the soundrack is probably going to be a different kind of process with those games. I wouldn't even begin to speculate on how it would be done.

Maybe not. Typically what happened is the older the game, the less they needed to fiddle with files to keep people from extracting them after the installation process.

Jedi Outcast predates Jedi Academy, in Jedi Outcast, you just have to go into the folder and the soundtrack is there in mp3 format.

In Jedi Academy you had to change the file suffix and search through the .pk3 files to find the soundtrack. My guess is that the older games will be easier, not harder.

As far as which game to choose, I haven't played any of them, so I'd go by their release date. My suggestion would be to pick the newest one, since that one will likely have the cleanest sounding music. If you go too old school, the game's sound will be limited to 8bit or 16bit, which doesn't really do a lot for immersion at the table, or just for listening.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Rebel Assault II is the most recent game of those, so I'll just get the Rebel Assault combo. Unfortunately that was late 1995, so it's still very old. I had a roommate in the 90s who had a Play Station and either owned, rented, or borrowed the first Rebel Assault game - I actually played that a little back then. If I ever do decide to play the games, Rebel Assault had a variety of first person shooter and ship piloting scenarios so there is variety of different things to do, IIRC.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Academy was a great SW game.

I'm interested in the Fallen Order game that is supposed to come out this year. I'm really itching to get some good lightsaber combat with a jedi-focused game. It also sounds to be the closest to a spiritual successor to Jedi Academy.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
Jedi Academy was a great SW game.

I'm interested in the Fallen Order game that is supposed to come out this year. I'm really itching to get some good lightsaber combat with a jedi-focused game. It also sounds to be the closest to a spiritual successor to Jedi Academy.

I just finished replaying Jedi Academy last month. So many opportunities to use Force Grip level 3 and drop enemies down bottomless shafts....
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

I just finished replaying Jedi Academy last month. So many opportunities to use Force Grip level 3 and drop enemies down bottomless shafts....

Oh yes, and the best parts are when you manage to trick a powerful reborn near an edge and drop them with that split second force grip.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That vampire ability was just evil. Great graphic sequence too

GOG also offers Rebellion, which I picked up during the recent sale. Runs great on Windows 10, so aces there. Not a deep music catalog, but ok for setup and intro tunes.

Also, why not just get the John Williams soundtracks? The mp3 versions are reasonably priced and you'll have all the source music at your fingertips.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I split the above 'buying video games' discussion from the Gamemaster/Music thread it was originally posted in.

Pel wrote:
Also, why not just get the John Williams soundtracks? The mp3 versions are reasonably priced and you'll have all the source music at your fingertips.

Indeed. This thread was created from splitting off a discussion in a devoted Music thread. I had the three original trilogy soundtracks on cassette tape when I was a kid and started running this game. In the 90s, a girlfriend's mother bought me the original SW soundtrack at a yard sale for 25 cents which I still have. I later got multiple releases of the original film soundtrack releases on CD. I bought all the PT and ST soundtrack releases by Williams when they came out, including spoiling myself on part of TPM by reading the track title "Qui-Gon's Noble End" before I saw the film. I even bought the recently remastered RotS soundtrack on top of the original.

I have the Rogue One and Solo soundtracks by other composers. I have the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack. I have the TCW and Rebels soundtracks. I have Star Wars disco, Star Wars lounge music, Star Wars heavy metal, and Star Wars string quartet. I love listening to Star Wars music including other versions of it. I also love using soundtracks for the RPG, even non-Star-Wars and non-film-score music sometimes. I'm always on the lookout for more Star Wars music. Raven Redstar shared another way to get Star Wars music, from video games. It was never meant as a suggested alternative to the actual film music. It was just meant to be in addition to the Williams soundtracks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I have Star Wars disco.

This is a thing that should not exist. The words "Star Wars" and "disco" should not be mentioned in the same conversation, never mind the same sentence.

In fact, one should not ever utter the words "Star Wars disco" without also chanting "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

Some things. Just. Aren't. Done.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I have the disco CD too. Haven't tried it with Cthulu chanting yet, but if we could've gotten Christopher Lee to do some voiceover work before his untimely passing, that would've been something.

I'll have to dig around in my old game CDs to see if the music files are severable. Has anyone looked at Battlefront or Battlefront II?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
I have Star Wars disco.

This is a thing that should not exist. The words "Star Wars" and "disco" should not be mentioned in the same conversation, never mind the same sentence.

In fact, one should not ever utter the words "Star Wars disco" without also chanting "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

Some things. Just. Aren't. Done.

I've got news for ya. Star Wars was born in the disco age. Star Wars disco was unavoidable, but as far as I know it never went past TESB. Just be glad that Star Wars outlived disco!

And I don't need Star Wars disco to summon the ancient ones.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Just be glad that Star Wars outlived disco!

Oh, I am. Believe me, I am. Shocked

Whill wrote:
And I don't need Star Wars disco to summon the ancient ones.

I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: