The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Range: Kilometers or...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Range: Kilometers or...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Range: Kilometers or... Reply with quote

So, something that has occasionally crossed my mind is that, while it's clear that the SWU uses the metric system (thermal exhaust ports will always be 2 meters wide), there is a discrepancy in other uses.

In particular, the only time range-to-target is given a specific numeric value, it doesn't seem to match the actual on-screen distance. Specifically, in ESB, when Veers asks the gunner on his AT-AT the distance to the power generator, the number given is "one seven decimal two eight." One might think the distance was in kilometers, yet it seems far closer on screen, more like 1.728 kilometers, which is well within the range of AT-AT lasers per the WEG rules.

So that got me thinking about the possibility that maybe atmospheric ranges for weapons should be measured in hectometers (100 meters or 1/10th of a kilometer) instead of kilometers.

The neat thing about this is, the WEG weapon ranges in SUs convert directly into hectometers; a laser cannon with a range in SUs of 1-3/12/25 would have the exact same range in hectometers, with no need for conversion.

This would allow stat writers to throw out the multiple range system and simply use SUs with the appropriate modifier applied: SUs for space combat, hectometers for atmospheric combat, and the much rarer myriameter (10,000 meters) for orbital bombardment (assuming it ever comes up).

Or it may be more trouble than it's worth, but I figured I'd post it anyway.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that it fits so neatly, it's possible the WEG creators envisioned exactly that.

So if I'm understanding correctly:
Character-scale measures in meters
Vehicle Atmospheric-scale measures in hectometers
Space-scale measures in kilometers

That could definitely work and help both players and GMs wrap their heads around ranges. I like it.

Last edited by Pel on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Given tbat it fits so neatly, it's possible the WEG creators envisioned exactly that.

So if I'm understanding correctly:
Character-scale measures in meters
Vehicle Atmospheric-scale measures in hectometers
Space-scale measures in kilometers

That could definitely work and help both players and GMs wrap their heads around ranges. I like it.

Two corrections:

Space-scale would remain the non-specific Space Unit value, as assigning fixed values to SWU space combat opens up a Pandora's Box of other issues.

Orbital-scale (for capital ships engaging planetary targets and vice-versa) would be in myriameters; myria- being the obsolete metric prefix for the ten thousands place in the metric system.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that makes sense. As for myriameters (new word!), like you said, if it ever comes up. We always figured that if the ships were in range to bombard the planet, they were also in range of any terrestrial defensive batteries. The one instance I can see this coming into play is a ship flying between the bombarding vessels and the planet. Having an idea of distance would help calculate how many rounds it will take to make the trip.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Range: Kilometers or... Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

So that got me thinking about the possibility that maybe atmospheric ranges for weapons should be measured in hectometers (100 meters or 1/10th of a kilometer) instead of kilometers.

Or it may be more trouble than it's worth, but I figured I'd post it anyway.

Speaking as a person who lives in a metric-using country; only meters and Kilometers are actually used for distance measurement.

Yes, the others exist, but even for scientific purposes I've only ever seen m or km used.

ie something is 3500m away or 3.5 km.

In my opinion, using anything else would be like paying for your groceries using $10,000 bank notes. Sure they are legal tender, but aren't actually seen in public.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the idea was less that you would actually use those numbers than that you would just use the Space Range for all forms of combat, and then, if you really needed to know exactly how far away the target was, you would apply the appropriate modifier (simply, 1 = 100 meters or 1 = 10 kilometers).

Basically, it's less about knowing exactly how far away a target is in meters than it is about a simplified ranging system that uses the same number for everything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: