The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shadowrun 4e-style Hits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Shadowrun 4e-style Hits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Shadowrun 4e-style Hits Reply with quote

Ok, in Shadowrun 4e (and later), you roll Xd6, and you score a "hit" for every 5 or 6 you roll. The more hits, the better you did.

So, and I'm just playing with the concept, what if you used that in d6, instead of the standard "Add to TN"? How would you include Pips?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shadowrun 4e-style Hits Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Ok, in Shadowrun 4e (and later), you roll Xd6, and you score a "hit" for every 5 or 6 you roll. The more hits, the better you did.

So, and I'm just playing with the concept, what if you used that in d6, instead of the standard "Add to TN"? How would you include Pips?

I have no knowledge of Shadowrun, but it sounds like you are describing the D6 Legend system, where certain single die results count as a single success, and the difficulty is a certain number of successes needed. Back on the old official WEG forums we used to call that "D6 for the mathematically challenged." The arithmetic certainly is easier.

I don't feel that would merely be a house rule. Instituting this change to the game would be a fundamental alteration to the game system. For one thing I think you would lose a lot of granularity with the game with doing that. It certainly could work and a group could like it a lot, but I wouldn't do it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about the math a bit more, it would require too much work to be feasible... it works with SR because the dice pools are a lot higher. I like the simplicity, but the numbers don't work out.
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played SR4 a long time and funnily, I had thought about it before. As an advantage I would see the more limited range of possible successes. But to work with this, you would have to convert not only the way you count successes. So you would have to use the whole SR4 system (Maybe KI adepts as Jedi?) and convert the setting.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purzelkater wrote:
I have played SR4 a long time and funnily, I had thought about it before. As an advantage I would see the more limited range of possible successes. But to work with this, you would have to convert not only the way you count successes. So you would have to use the whole SR4 system (Maybe KI adepts as Jedi?) and convert the setting.

At that point it would almost be a different game for this setting. I feel this goes way beyond house rules.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

At that point it would almost be a different game for this setting. I feel this goes way beyond house rules.

I'm agree with this. But if he want to use the SR4 success system that should be necessary, I believe.
But as said, this would be a whole new game and not D6. ^^
Argentsaber
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is close enough, but I have been experimenting with an adaptation of the FFG 'advantage' concept, basically allowing a beneficial secondary effect if the wild die turns up 6, but the DC would have been successful without that die.. perhaps you could do something similar, allowing little plot elements when a related roll turns up a large number of 6s?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: