The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

West End Games D6 2e is coming! (Zorro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> West End Games D6 2e is coming! (Zorro) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
They're releasing snippets of the rules in their updates. There is insinuation that this is only one of the settings, and they're planning on future setting books with the D6 2e rules. So, the strong setting may very well be the model they're going with.

Could you please link to these updates? Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Could you please link to these updates? Thanks.

Yup yup yup.

Rules Preview 1:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gallantknightgames/zorrotm-the-roleplaying-game/posts/2397271

Updates:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gallantknightgames/zorrotm-the-roleplaying-game/updates
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Interesting.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Rules Preview 1:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gallantknightgames/zorrotm-the-roleplaying-game/posts/2397271

Interesting part:
Quote:
If the Wild Die comes up with a result of 6, you gain an Advantage.
If the Wild Die comes up with a 1, you suffer a Complication

I wonder if this means new charts/hints of Advantage/Complication for skills/ skill groups and resignation from the old add/subtract dice?

Last edited by Darklighter79 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. It's hard to know at this phase. The Wild Die has been the most dynamic part of the rule set. Almost every version that's been released since the Star Wars 2E has had a slight variation of how to handle the Wild Die. The R&E is just slightly different, but the D6 System standalone book, it looks like a hard-core critical fail. MiniSix says to ignore it. And the D6 Space/Adventure/Fantasy are far harsher than either of the Star Wars editions.

So, a change to the Wild Die wouldn't surprise me.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only issue with the Wild Die is it's well, wild. Every roll has a 16.5% chance of critical failure (a '1') or an extra roll (a '6'). Now that makes life interesting for our characters, but every time you roll, there's a one-in-six chance that you will fail or suffer a complication regardless of how well the rest of the dice perform.

It does keep us from getting bored, but I lost count of the number of 'snapped twigs', 'triggered alarms', 'depleted blaster packs', 'collisions (major & minor)', and other unfortunate events inflicted by that one die over the decades. The sixes are less memorable because it's extrememly rare to roll back to back sixes, but it does occur.

It's not really a problem for me, because I'm used to it, but someone coming in from a D20 system, with a stock 5% chance of critical failure (or success) might balk at our dice odds. We like to live dangerously. 8)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the confirmed variant of the Wild Dice rule: Roll a 6 or a 1 and you have to re-roll it and get a 6 or 1 again. The unconfirmed Wild Dice rule can then be used for things that have a really good chance of screwing up.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
My only issue with the Wild Die is it's well, wild. Every roll has a 16.5% chance of critical failure (a '1') or an extra roll (a '6'). Now that makes life interesting for our characters, but every time you roll, there's a one-in-six chance that you will fail or suffer a complication regardless of how well the rest of the dice perform.

Funny, I wrote an article on this for the D6 Magazine. Most of the rules editions do not make a 1 a critical failure. In fact, in the R&E, a 1 may mean that you succeed AND get a complication.

I think that a 1 in 6 chance of a critical fail would be an awful game to play. I don't run my games that way. I do introduce complications, but not as a critical fail.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right cheshire!

Pel wrote:

This is a common myth. I guess it is my lot in life to debunk this every time it comes up.

On R&E p.74, the author wrote:
For the first role only, if the wild die comes up as a 1, the player must tell the gamemaster. The gamemaster can chose one of three options:
    Add up the dice normally.
    • Total up the skill dice normally to see if the skill roll succeeded, but a "complication" occurs. (See "Complications" below.)
    • Subtract the one and also subtract the highest other die.

According to the Wild Die rules in RAW, it is simply not true that "there's a one-in-six chance that you will fail or suffer a complication regardless of how well the rest of the dice perform." In all three of the GM options above, the result of the role could still succeed - There is no automatic failure. Only one of the GM options involves a complication. The more general Wild Die complaint I always see is, "There is a 16.6% chance of something bad happening" but even that is not true. The result could still be success with the subtraction option, but, and I can't stress this enough, a commonly overlooked option is "Add up the dice normally."

This is under the control of the GM. If a game has something bad happen every time the 1 is rolled on the wild die, then you have an evil GM that is always choosing to subtract rolls if it will make them fail or choosing complications, and ignoring the 'add up dice normally' option. That is an issue with the GM, not the Wild Die rules.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I like the confirmed variant of the Wild Dice rule: Roll a 6 or a 1 and you have to re-roll it and get a 6 or 1 again. The unconfirmed Wild Dice rule can then be used for things that have a really good chance of screwing up.

I think the GM controlling the frequency of bad things happening on 1s, and the rarity of a long string of exploding 6s makes RAW fine as-is, but another option related to your suggestion is to have two wild dice in each roll but both roles have to be 1 or 6 for it to go wild. That way no role another die separately to determine. Of course for rolling 1D then the RAW Wild Die roll would be in effect, or you could roll the extra roll to see as you said.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this reply on Zorro site:
Quote:
Q:
If the Wild Die comes up 1 or 6 do you also add it to the total?
A:
William L. Munn
Yes. All dice rolled are summed up for the total.

And some more about the new D6:

Quote:
WEG D6 2e utilizes mechanics derived from the D6 System's long history, but with contemporary updates.

Classic D6 System features like:

- Lots of D6s!
- Attribute + Skill forming a dice pool
- Rolls that are totaled against a Target Number (TN)
- The Wild Die

All still exist and play important roles (and rolls!) in WEG D6 2e. Updates and changes have been made to streamline the game, with some features such as:

- More Narrative Control
- Fail Forward mechanics
- Hero Points!
- Revisions to the Wild Die
- Streamlined Skill Lists

Our goal is to produce a ruleset that is intimately familiar, but fresh and exciting! WEG D6 2e has been in playtesting for 6 months, and has logged over 300 hours of play already! We're committed to doing this right.

Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gallant Knight Games Team wrote:
Rules Preview - The Wild Die!
As we promised here is a rules update. As before, this is all production that is subject to change during the approval step, as well as not being the full text, but a sampling designed to provide you an idea of how the design goals of D6 2e are being achieved.

Part of the goal with adding and adjusting how the Wild Die was leveraged was to provide new story and narration based mechanics to allow for partial successes and failures, and increase the dramatic and cinematic moments in the story.

The Wild Die also serves as an excellent tool for Hero Point generation!

If you'll recall from our last update:

If the Wild Die comes up with a result of 6, you gain an Advantage.

If the Wild Die comes up with a 1, you suffer a Complication.

Advantage

Advantages are narrative implications that the Player can insert whenever the Wild Die rolls a 6.

When an Advantage occurs, the Player has the following options based on the outcome (these are always chosen by the player.)

If the Action would be successful, and an Advantage Occurred.

First, the player can gain an Exceptional Success and gain one Hero Point.

An Exceptional Success allows the Hero to complete the task in a truly quick, dramatic, fashion. This might include an environmental advantage (like enemies getting tangled in a horse cart during a foot chase), or simply dealing double damage in combat.

Alternatively, the player can instead achieve an Ordinary Success but gain 2 Hero Points.

If the Action would not be successful, and an Advantage occurred.

First, the player may add the result of 6 on the Wild Die, and then roll the Wild Die again. As long as you roll a 6, you keep adding the 6 and you keep rolling. If you roll anything else, you add that number to the total and stop rolling.

Alternatively, the player can gain 1 Hero Point and accept the failure.

Note: Multiple 6s on this result don’t allow for extra Advantages.

Complications

Complications are narrative implications that the Gamemaster can insert whenever the Wild Die rolls a 1.

When a Complication occurs, the Gamemaster has three options:

If the action would be successful, but a Complication Occurred.

The Gamemaster can introduce a complication that makes the success a partial success, rewarding the hero with 1 Hero Point. For example, a leap across a roof ends with the hero tangled in a drying line, or hanging from a roof edge.

Alternatively, the Gamemaster can cause the action to fail but gain 2 Hero Points.

The leap simply fails, tumbling the hero to the street below.

If the action would have failed and a Complication occurred.

The Gamemaster rewards the player with 1 Hero Point, and then introduces a complication that will accentuate the failure. For example: A hero trying to find their way in the desert remains losts and also realizes their canteen has been leaking and now they’re running low on water.

The goal of these new mechanics is to add some non-binary resolution to the D6 System, and provide a little more control on how things play out!

Thanks for joining us on this journey and we're excited to show you more! The next rules preview will contain some of the rules around Hero Points!

- The Gallant Knight Games Team

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds cumbersome. I'd like to know what these Hero Points are.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's next update.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:

I'd bet they're Force Points by another name.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Pel wrote:

I'd bet they're Force Points by another name.

But getting one FP for each 6 on wild die? Wouldn't that be too much? Maybe these are more like CPs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: