The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Ghtroc Empress Super Freighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Ghtroc Empress Super Freighter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purzelkater
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I am shocked at how few folks i have played with/ran for, over the decades, who've opted for a Ghtroc.. MOST go for some form of YT, or the L-19!

My players have started 2 years ago with their group of "some kind of" smugglers and they have totally voted for the pretty elegant and amazing beautiful turtle - the Ghtroc 720. And they love their (slightly pimped) ship.
Hint: Using the airlocks on the way to the rescue pods is a very good option the eliminate uninvited guests and hold them fresh on transport...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It did get me wondering about how electronics mix with damp, moist environments (as prefered by Mon Cals and Quarren). Maybe Mon Cals are the originators of the fluidics control systems described in Han Solo's Revenge...

Artoo fell in the swamp with no visible effects except getting all cruddy and waterlogged. Water conducts electricity very well so it would seem to be a very universal aspect of electronics being waterproof to a large degree. If suddenly being submerged in a swamp doesn't stop Artoo, then the Calamari-preferred moist environments should be no problem for electronics.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artoo is also hardened against the vacuum of space, so he is probably an outlier as to how droids cope with hazardous environments.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Artoo is also hardened against the vacuum of space, so he is probably an outlier as to how droids cope with hazardous environments.

True, but the technology exists to full-submergence waterproof electronics and it as ubiquitous as astromech droids, so it should be cake to have electronics deal with humidity in Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From C-3PO's general grumbling throughout the films I assume droids can withstand most environments quite well, as long as they are maintained regularly. How much they complain varies from droid to droid.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember someone posted a 'random quirks' table years ago, to use with old tramp freighters to compensate for the price as well for fun.
As far as I remember it was quite good, but can't find it with search function.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droids also take oil baths
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
Droids also take oil baths
Except Chopper. Unless you really force him into it.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

True, but the technology exists to full-submergence waterproof electronics and it as ubiquitous as astromech droids, so it should be cake to have electronics deal with humidity in Star Wars.

Don't forget the Mon Cal Aquatic Computer from Fantastic Technology. While it's billed as an unusual example, it's proof their tech can work submerged. I also agree that droids and other expensive devices are probably water and vacuum proof to a point. Either will cause corrosion or other degredation after extended periods but it's silly to think they'd stop working after a brief exposure. Otherwise, nothing would work in hostile environments and we've seen evidence to the contrary.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Either [water and vacuum] will cause corrosion or other degradation after extended periods.

Actually not in the case of vacuum. Quite the opposite, in fact. Vacuum actually helps preserve things. It's the same reason the Golden Record in the Voyager probes are projected to last a billion years or more precisely because there's no erosion in space. There's literally nothing in space that even remotely resembles erosion's effects. Pel might be referring to radiation interfering with electrical systems, which is a fair point; after all, the Golden Records are pieces of gold metal and don't have any electrical systems that radiation could affect. Droids and spaceships or anything else with an electrical system can be affected by radiation in space, unless the technology is sufficiently advanced to be hardened against such things. In Star wars, that level of technology is easy to imagine. Hell, the Voyager probes themselves were protected against radiation with an ad hoc solution: the Voyager team actually had to buy a bunch aluminum foil from the local supermarkets to cover up the probes because they didn't have enough time before the launches to get them protected from radiation any other way. (Shameless Plug Time: go find and watch The Farthest: Voyager in Space. It's an awesome DVD telling the story of the Voyager project from its inception all the way to when Voyager 1 finally left the Heliopause/Solar System in 2012. You won't regret it.)

That being said, we have ample evidence that droids can take alot of punishment with little to no long term consequences. Hell, in TESB alone, we saw Artoo get fully immersed into a swamp river (along with whatever corrosives might be in that fetid water), actually swallowed/eaten by some sort of aquatic creature, then projectile vomited with such force that Artoo was actually airborne with enough force to land at least a good 30 ft. from where he exited the river, landed hard on some pretty thick tree roots, then bounced/rolled among those roots for another few more feet before coming to a rest upside down (and according to the ROTJ novelization, Artoo is programmed to absolutely hate being upside down for some unexplained reason) and, aside from some mud on his casing and oracular sensor, was none the worse for wear after all that.

But that's probably nothing compared to what C-3PO had to go through in TESB. Remember, we also see C-3PO get literally blasted to pieces but only a few scenes later he's repaired sufficiently to be cognizant and operational (if legless) and he's completely right as rain at the last scene of the movie. I doubt even the Energizer Bunny would be able to keep up with R2-D2 and C-3PO and that's saying alot.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes. I was thinking of long term exposure to radiation, extreme temperatures, and micro-asteroids, not the actual vacuum itself.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Oh, yes. I was thinking of long term exposure to radiation, extreme temperatures, and micro-asteroids, not the actual vacuum itself.

Yes, space near stars and other bodies can have more radiation than on planets with atmospheres and magnetic fields which provide some protection that doesn't exist out in deep space. But yeah the Voyagers are flying away form the sun, and even Artoo's exposure to vacuum is short. They could be designed for extended vacuum exposure but we have nothing to support that. (I can see droids existing who patrol the outer surface of space stations as their regular function).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Pel wrote:

Yes, space near stars and other bodies can have more radiation than on planets with atmospheres and magnetic fields which provide some protection that doesn't exist out in deep space. But yeah the Voyagers are flying away from the sun, and even Artoo's exposure to vacuum is short. They could be designed for extended vacuum exposure but we have nothing to support that. (I can see droids existing who patrol the outer surface of space stations as their regular function).

Hell, the Voyager probes are essentially simple robots built with 1970s technology, which can only be considered rudimentary at best by the standards of a 25,000 year old interstellar civilization. If we can build robots that can withstand the most hostile environment known to man, then the people of the Galaxy Far Far Away certainly could, no doubt with alot more protection than we could ever provide.

And while it's only Legends continuity now, Artoo and Threepio spent at least a couple of hours doing a full EVA in one of the early episodes of Droids (the one where he gets "droid hernia" after letting the ship's hyperdrive float off into space). So the two of them certainly have the capacity to function in space without suffering any ill effects (at least in Legends).
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...the Voyagers are flying away form the sun, and even Artoo's exposure to vacuum is short. They could be designed for extended vacuum exposure but we have nothing to support that. (I can see droids existing who patrol the outer surface of space stations as their regular function).

That's true. Even the Hatchling Zero-G Maintenance Droid writeup doesn't mention any special hardening or modifications. Maybe it was to keep it simple, but I'm thinking that droids just work in most environments. Otherwise we wouldn't see so many of them in the background and they are ubiquitous.

The DLC-13 droids from Mustafar also spring to mind. They're carbonite-coated for heat resistance, but I don't recall seeing actual stats on them. That's a pretty extreme environment, so short of somewhere like that, maybe the standard droids can function for a time pretty much anywhere.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I'm thinking that droids just work in most environments. Otherwise we wouldn't see so many of them in the background and they are ubiquitous.

The DLC-13 droids from Mustafar also spring to mind. They're carbonite-coated for heat resistance, but I don't recall seeing actual stats on them.

You can check the RotS GG project files to see if the DLC-13 stats are in there.

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=184198#184198
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: