The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Earth in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Earth in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fan made expansion that details some Earth style stuff. I recall leafing through the pdf a decade ago or something like that. I can't seem to find the file now - perhaps others remember what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Earth in Star Wars Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
garhkal wrote:
True, but there are times, i'd love to have a SW game where you only HAD earth based weapons for the rebels to use, against the horde of imperials..

I actually had similar thoughts from time to time.

How would an M1 Abrams do agaist AT's or the like, I wonder what .50BMG would do to stormie armor and the like.
fun fun

Yeah, as Whill and Mamatried both said, this would be a fun mental exercise.

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Whenever I imagined Earth in the Star Wars universe, I always thought that Earth was/is an old colony of Coruscant or something. Basically, it was a combination of the Yuuzhan Vong thing about needing to leave their galaxy (except it was humans fleeing to a new galaxy this time) and the Battlestar Galactica thing about Earth being an old colony planet of humanity rather than its homeworld.

The problem I have with humans not being from Earth is that we are too genetically similar to other life on Earth to not be from Earth. The percentage of DNA humanity shares with the other great apes are in the high 90s.

Yeah, this was specifically pointed out at the end of the reimagined series of Battlestar Galactica. When the Colonials finally got to Earth 100,000 years ago, they specifically noted how the proto-humans they encountered were uncannily genetically compatible with themselves despite the fact that they were from completely different parts of the galaxy, never mind just different planets and handwaved it as "an act of God" and proceeded to get busy with the primitive hominids. (Sorry, but I don't particularly find homo erectus to be all that much of a turn on.) Oh, and teach them language, too since the hominids were apparently "pre-verbal" or "pre-vocal" or whatever.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I like doing is using alternate Earths as a basis for alien planets or sectors. So, I create Tirolian space, which is the Robotech universe as a pocket of the galaxy. One might also use Battlestar Galactica, or Firefly, crafting a corner of the galaxy that's limited by the rules of the one you want to emulate, but still able to interact with the galaxy at large.

As someone once observed, "Space is big."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Earth in Star Wars Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
garhkal wrote:
True, but there are times, i'd love to have a SW game where you only HAD earth based weapons for the rebels to use, against the horde of imperials..

I actually had similar thoughts from time to time.

How would an M1 Abrams do agaist AT's or the like, I wonder what .50BMG would do to stormie armor and the like.
fun fun

Yeah, as Whill and Mamatried both said, this would be a fun mental exercise.

But you don't really need a real-Earth crossover to do that. I don't doubt garhkal would love to put his PCs into that sort of uneven battle; he's garhkal, after all, but you could just as easily co-opt Earth tech and drop it onto a previously undiscovered early-to-mid-information tech stage planet in the Unknown Regions or something.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool ideas here.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Empire Invades the Earth Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
There's a fan made expansion that details some Earth style stuff. I recall leafing through the pdf a decade ago or something like that. I can't seem to find the file now - perhaps others remember what I'm talking about.

Can't seem to locate Empire Invades Earth PDF

I think this is what you are referring to. I believe the EIE document was created by the 10th member of this site and honorary Jedi Volar the Healer. It came up last year and the page above has a link to the original thread for this document. I do remember looking through the document way back but I looked in my files and I can't find it. I tried the old download link for it in the Wayback Machine and unfortunately it doesn't have an archive of it. Too bad because I'd love to add it to the Library.

Does anyone have it? Please upload it somewhere and PM me the link, or email it to forums -at- rancorpit.com. Thanks!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember thinking it wasn't something I wanted to include in my SWU, so I deleted it. Sorry.

Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I remember thinking it wasn't something I wanted to include in my SWU, so I deleted it. Sorry.

I'm sure I felt the same way. But others are interested in it, and it is just sad when things from the past are lost.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

I'm sure I felt the same way. But others are interested in it, and it is just sad when things from the past are lost.

Have you PM'd Volar?

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Have you PM'd Volar?

Yes. But unfortunately he hasn't posted here since 2017, and even PMs generating emails only work if you still use the same email address on your account here. But we shall see.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Earth in Star Wars Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I don't doubt garhkal would love to put his PCs into that sort of uneven battle; he's garhkal, after all, but you could just as easily co-opt Earth tech and drop it onto a previously undiscovered early-to-mid-information tech stage planet in the Unknown Regions or something.

In a way, i've already done so with one of my modules. Earth level planes and guns.. Some Imp ships periodically show up. Their missiles Do well vs unshielded tie fighters/bombers, but wouldn't really (IMO) do much to shielded ships.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slugthrowers are quite common in star wars. Wheeled vehicles as well.
Not so much in the movies, but in all the fluff and stuff we have plenty.

PS! Slugthrowers are effective, Tusken Raiders used that to shoot at Luke's speeder.
Zam Wessel used a slugthrower rifle.

On that note , maked me thk , you can SEE a blaster bolts ergo a jedi can block/dodge it, but you really can not see a "bullet" what does this do for "dodging " and redirecting?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Thu May 02, 2019 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone using the Force is a special case, as they're sensing stuff without necessarily seeing it visually. I have no doubt that it manifests itself in the Jedi's mind in a variety of ways including a Force-built mental picture of what's going on and can function as sight, but it's still different.

As for slugthrower bullets, our group started using them a long time ago to deal with militant Force users. The damage and range are comparable to blasters and they can't reflect a bullet like they can a blaster bolt. Sure, they can vaporize a bullet with their lightsaber, but that's what full auto is for. Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: