The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

1E, IAG, MiniSix blended into one. Does it exist?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> 1E, IAG, MiniSix blended into one. Does it exist?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: 1E, IAG, MiniSix blended into one. Does it exist? Reply with quote

Combining the best aspects of 1E (baseline), IAG (combat structure/iniatiative) and MiniSix (passive defenses) looks like the dream SW game to me. Has this been done? If not, I'll have to do it myself.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice avatar! Laughing

I haven't seen anything like that mentioned, but maybe some of the old timers have. Did you search the archives? It can take a while, but there are tons of gold if you dig deep enough.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1E, IAG, MiniSix blended into one. Does it exist? Reply with quote

Zulgyan wrote:
Combining the best aspects of 1E (baseline), IAG (combat structure/iniatiative) and MiniSix (passive defenses) looks like the dream SW game to me. Has this been done? If not, I'll have to do it myself.

I think the combat structure/initiative is the worst part of 1e. Replacing it with IAG's would make it a lot better. And passive defenses certainly could make the game go a little faster. I think that sounds like a doable game system. Please feel free to share any development of that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zulgyan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing some more 1E, I have reconsidered my position. You don't really need an initiave system: the 1E one works just fine, when applied with good "old school referee judgment" that can lead to some exceptions if they are more pausible, fun or cool. In case of doubt, always let a PC act first, cause they are the heroes.

An independent iniciative roll is kind of an abstract notion, that makes things more "gamy". Better keep things more cinematic and feeling like the movies.

The way in which Gary Gygax handled initiative in very early D&D is also great mindset: no hard and fast rule, but a GM who can say who goes first acording to reason, genre conventions and a concrete assessment of the situation.

Anyway, most of the time, the standart 1E "highest skill roll goes first" rule would apply.

With regards to passive defenses, player's really like to roll their dodge and strenght rolls. So, keeping the game just as is for now (probably ever).

Plus, it's really convenient not to deviate from the published books so much, so all the information is there, organized and in a beautiful package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: