The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Happy Birthday, garhkal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Happy Birthday, garhkal! Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milli Vanilli were lip-synching to real music that someone else made. Girl you know it's true!

I'm sorry to hear about you guys' horrible experiences growing up. The 80s, like anything, was a mixture of good and bad. It had some music I enjoyed, but most of it I grew out of by 1992 (now I have more 70s in my music library than 80s). It had some great movies (and a whole lotta cheese). It had my first decade of roleplaying which just got better as it went along. It also had my deadbeat dad leaving my mom, brother, and me in worse poverty. But I've since reconciled with my dad and generally made peace with the 80s.

garhkal wrote:
S'funny, i don't FEEL 44.. But man has the years gone by.

This was garhkal's 12,000th post!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
The 80s were not without their high points, to be sure. But I remember it as the decade when I was still stuck in middle school and high school with a bunch of @$$h0le* who would torture and demean me every chance they got and the school staff wouldn't give a s*** about punishing them even when my nose was broken in the middle of class. I finally escaped when I graduated and never looked back.

This. I never got my nose broken, but it sucked being an Asperger's kid during a time when nobody knew what Asperger's was. Screw HS, and the 80's. And most of the 90's, too.

Oh gawds, I TOTALLY sympathize, CRM. I have ADHD and back then only a few psychologists even had any idea what it was. The teachers and principals of the time? Forget it. FFS, I remember one time where the math teacher kept me after class and he asked me why I was doing so poorly and I honestly had no idea. I speculated that maybe I needed a notetaker because I took such poor notes and he opened up my math notebook and randomly opened it up to a page where I personally highlighted the rule/equation for that day (I was a VERY slow writer and I barely got lucky enough to be able to write fast enough to get even THAT rule) and the teacher how it was that I was such a poor notetaker if I could write down the main point of the day's lesson.

It was the only time in my life I ever felt humiliated for doing something right.

Whill wrote:
Milli Vanilli were lip-synching to real music that someone else made. Girl you know it's true!

I'm sorry to hear about you guys' horrible experiences growing up. The 80s, like anything, was a mixture of good and bad. It had some music I enjoyed, but most of it I grew out of by 1992 (now I have more 70s in my music library than 80s). It had some great movies (and a whole lotta cheese). It had my first decade of roleplaying which just got better as it went along. It also had my deadbeat dad leaving my mom, brother, and me in worse poverty. But I've since reconciled with my dad and generally made peace with the 80s.

garhkal wrote:
S'funny, i don't FEEL 44.. But man has the years gone by.

This was garhkal's 12,000th post!

Gratz to garhkal. And I'm glad Whill reconciled with his dad. But screw the 80s anyway. Rolling Eyes
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to echo Whill's comments. The 80's were an extremely tough decade for me personally for some of the reasons already mentioned and others too. But we had some pop culture at the time time that let me escape what was going in RL, and it's material I still enjoy. Well, a lot of it anyway. Tried to watch Airwolf and Knight Rider a few years back and... nope. I get how 10 year old me loved them, but now I just shake my head and change the channel.

Oh, I also forgot GI Joe and comic books.

P.S.: Happy 12k, Garkhal!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, while the 80s DID see me get picked on in school, it was also my start into the life of a gamer..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And forged the pathway to your inevitable fame in the D6 crowds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: