The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on? Reply with quote

Im trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-Synthetic tibanna gas

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

I’m trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren’t until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I’m looking for something that presumably hasn’t been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.
[/img]

Last edited by Maximum7 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know when you decide!

Last edited by Zarn on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck because of the "not believing in the force" thing. I could have bought it before the new movies came out and if it wasn't set in the New Republic era.

Since so much available evidence by that period would point to the force being very, very real, can this character actually be said to subscribe to the scientific method?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is researching a certain frog found on a single Outer Rim world, whose skin exudes a weird substance. Wink
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
He is researching a certain frog found on a single Outer Rim world, whose skin exudes a weird substance. Wink

Lol. I post on multiple forums simply because I don’t get the right ideas. The frog idea got stale and this is the last forum I’m going to post on.
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I'm stuck because of the "not believing in the force" thing. I could have bought it before the new movies came out and if it wasn't set in the New Republic era.

Since so much available evidence by that period would point to the force being very, very real, can this character actually be said to subscribe to the scientific method?

He believes that some people can manipulate an energy field but doesn’t believe that it controls everything or influences fate.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mental interface to fly speeders or starships. Reaction times are much faster but the pilot must always concentrate (and think in Russian Wink).

Short duration personal cloaking device.

Eugenics (to produce a Khan or other "supreme" being). We don't see a lot of this in Star Wars.

Genetic manipulation of animals to endow them with sentience (ala High Evolutionary).

An intersystem communication network outside the Holonet that pulses gravity waves to send near-instantaneous messages.

Biotechnology armor, weapons, and ships. This was nearly unheard of until the Vong arrived.

EDIT: Psycho-Archaeologist or Psycho-Anthrolologist. A person who studies history by invoking past incarnations and seeing the world that was through through the eyes of those who lived before. This would involve some technology or other means to access racial memories or previous iterations of a being's "soul".
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Mental interface to fly speeders or starships. Reaction times are much faster but the pilot must always concentrate (and think in Russian Wink).

Short duration personal cloaking device.

Eugenics (to produce a Khan or other "supreme" being). We don't see a lot of this in Star Wars.

Genetic manipulation of animals to endow them with sentience (ala High Evolutionary).

An intersystem communication network outside the Holonet that pulses gravity waves to send near-instantaneous messages.

Biotechnology armor, weapons, and ships. This was nearly unheard of until the Vong arrived.

EDIT: Psycho-Archaeologist or Psycho-Anthrolologist. A person who studies history by invoking past incarnations and seeing the world that was through through the eyes of those who lived before. This would involve some technology or other means to access racial memories or previous iterations of a being's "soul".

The mental interface intrigued me the most but it would ruin the fun of piloting.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximum7 wrote:

The mental interface intrigued me the most but it would ruin the fun of piloting.

Not if something distracts the pilot. Wink You could modify it so the interface works with weapons, freeing up the pilot's hands to fly, but if it's connected to a turret you'll get some confusion with fire arcs and flight path.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a super soldier like serum?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a scientist working Overtime...so he can have some extra time off come life day
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A longevity or rejuvenation treatment? Lots of clinical trials and plenty of demand if the scientist gets it even halfway right. Of course there are side effects if it doesn't work too.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a lot of the ideas are to have the scientist making things.

There is also science for the purpose of understanding.

Perhaps he could be researching ways to support (or refute) panspermia in the galaxy; that all life in the galaxy originated from one source, or spontaneously generated in many regions of the galaxy if not universe.

He could be collecting DNA samples from thousands (millions?) of species all over the galaxy, or have others doing it for him so that he can study and analyze the results with cutting edge computers to run simulations after plugging in the values he is collecting.
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prospectors, mining corporations, and pirates just to name a few. Knowing the exact orbits of an entire asteroid field is also handy for navigation and hiding a secret Imperial or Rebel base.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: