The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Shields
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Shields Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Red 331 wrote:
I think that still leaves things a little open to interpretation if you fail the shields skill roll, in terms of if you still can benefit from the shields in their previous settings, or if the roll failure means that you can no longer utilize the shield benefits in ANY of the arcs until you make a successful roll to raise shields. I think I lean towards the latter, but I think you can argue either way given the opacity of the RAW.

If the last setting remains in effect until realigns them, then it is whatever the current setting in effect when the attacks hits that's is defending your ship, not you roll. The roll is to change the setting, not for any specific attacks. The reaction aspect of it just gives you a chance to change the setting before the attacks hits.

I think your interpretation is definitely one legitimate way to look at it, Whill. But I think there's enough gap in the RAW that you could interpret a failed shields roll as a failure to raise shields at all, resulting in no shields benefit until your next successful shields roll. In other words, by choosing to change the settings, you have to turn the shields "off" from their previous settings before attempting to raise them in their new configuration. That would be my "mean GM" interpretation, vs. your "nice GM" Smile But I reserve the right to change my opinion on that given my previous flip-flops on my interpretation of the rules!

But yes, I agree, once you have shields up, I like the interpretation of RAW that you don't have to bother rolling again to bring shields up unless and until you want to change the settings, and can just leave them in their current configuration, automatically gaining the shields benefit according to that configuration, until a change in settings is declared.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some thought, I think making the Shields skill both an action and a reaction would included simply so there would be a clear path in the RAW for declaring Shield repositioning after the declaration of actions at the beginning of the round.

For instance, if four TIE fighters are attacking a light freighter, they would have to declare their Movement and Attack actions. However, if Shields are a reaction - and are specified by the RAW to be usable as such, the Shield Operator may simply wait until the incoming attacks have been declared before deciding how he wishes to reposition the shields to best defend against the attack.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
After some thought, I think making the Shields skill both an action and a reaction would included simply so there would be a clear path in the RAW for declaring Shield repositioning after the declaration of actions at the beginning of the round.

For instance, if four TIE fighters are attacking a light freighter, they would have to declare their Movement and Attack actions. However, if Shields are a reaction - and are specified by the RAW to be usable as such, the Shield Operator may simply wait until the incoming attacks have been declared before deciding how he wishes to reposition the shields to best defend against the attack.

Exactly.
Registration & Log-In Help
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, I had a thought based on what you said over on the Power Rerouting topic
Whill wrote:
Take a look at the shield generators in GG6. It says it is nearly impossible to modify them and gives no rules for doing so. That's actually what I based the statement on about modifying aux power generators.

Earlier you mentioned 3D Shields in the same arc being more like three 1D shields layered over each other in an effect similar to spaced armor. This got me thinking about a statement somewhere in one of the X-Wing books where Coruscant's planetary shield was composed of two layers, with the outer layer being projected through micro-openings in the inner layer.

This, IMO, is a possible method of capping shield dice and/or explaining why it's so hard to modify them for greater strength. It's not that more power can't be shunted to the outer layers of stacked 2D or 3D value shields; it's that only so much power can be projected through the micro-openings on the inner layers of the shield, and that it is virtually impossible to increase that power level without impairing the integrity of the shields as a whole (i.e. any modifications almost instantly are counteracted by the law of diminishing returns).

At most, a single D of extra dice can be routed to the systems (Auxiliary Power) without running into overload / burnout / integrity issues. And extant ships with very powerful shield generators (the Gamma Assault Shuttle, the Executor, etc) are equipped with very large, power-hungry shield generation systems.

In fact, I was considering downgrading the Shields on the Executor to 4D, and this would give me a valid reason to do so...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill, I had a thought based on what you said over on the Power Rerouting topic
Whill wrote:
Take a look at the shield generators in GG6. It says it is nearly impossible to modify them and gives no rules for doing so. That's actually what I based the statement on about modifying aux power generators.

Earlier you mentioned 3D Shields in the same arc being more like three 1D shields layered over each other in an effect similar to spaced armor. This got me thinking about a statement somewhere in one of the X-Wing books where Coruscant's planetary shield was composed of two layers, with the outer layer being projected through micro-openings in the inner layer.

This, IMO, is a possible method of capping shield dice and/or explaining why it's so hard to modify them for greater strength. It's not that more power can't be shunted to the outer layers of stacked 2D or 3D value shields; it's that only so much power can be projected through the micro-openings on the inner layers of the shield, and that it is virtually impossible to increase that power level without impairing the integrity of the shields as a whole (i.e. any modifications almost instantly are counteracted by the law of diminishing returns).

At most, a single D of extra dice can be routed to the systems (Auxiliary Power) without running into overload / burnout / integrity issues. And extant ships with very powerful shield generators (the Gamma Assault Shuttle, the Executor, etc) are equipped with very large, power-hungry shield generation systems.

In fact, I was considering downgrading the Shields on the Executor to 4D, and this would give me a valid reason to do so...

That sounds quite reasonable to me.
Registration & Log-In Help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: