The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Power Routing (for freighters)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Power Routing (for freighters) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Routing (for freighters) Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Power Routing for Space Transports

Pel chimed in, but I thought there would be more discussion about this rule. Everyone on this thread should be able to find some idea(s) they contributed to it.

I lowered the weight of the aux generator because it seemed way to high. Since the premise of the rule is that all space transports have one, the weight would already be factored into what the ship's hauling power, but the weight was still included for the possibility of hauling aux generators as freight, and for the hauling power gained if you remove one (either temporarily due to damage and eventual replacement, or if you just want to go without one and get a little more hauling power). I also added a comment I had forgotten to put in the first place about how foolhardy it would be to try to modify one.

For the power surge rule, CRM had suggested that a second wild die is immediately rolled and a 1 on that second roll would immediately result in overload. I think that works fine too, but I instead just chose to have a second power surge to the same system automatically put it into overload, just to save a die roll. Do what works for you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it overall with one exception:
Whill wrote:
Those foolhardy enough to attempt modifying Auxiliary Power Generators beyond their designed specifications have met with catastrophe. Some ships larger than light freighters may have larger and multiple auxiliary power generators, but no single system may utilize more than 1D of Auxiliary Power at a time.

I appreciate this is a simple, effective, and easy rule for both the players and GM, but it's too restrictive for me. We can modifiy everything else about a "stock" light freighter so why not the power systems? I like the aux generator being figured in with the factory cargo capacity, but what if the player wants more? A silly question because the players always want more stuff, to go faster, and to look good doing it (like Lando).

What if we handle auxiliary power generators like engines, just without the propulsion? Using the weight-to-performance tradeoff along with cost is a good mechanic for freighters so it can apply to this as well. Cribbing from the engines list in GG6 and reducing the weights because it's only generating power:

Stock Aux Power Generator: 1D Power, 2 tons, 3000 credits
Improved Generator: 2D Power, 6 tons, 8000 credits
Extreme Generator: 3D Power, 15 tons, 21,000 credits

I dropped the weight of the stock generator to reflect that it's probably not that big and to make removing it nearly weight-negligible.

Thoughts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it's less about the added power generators than it is about the ship systems themselves. In order to run more power through them, you'd have to upgrade ALL the power wiring in the ship, plus upgrade all of the individual systems in order for them to be able to take that much power flowing into them. Now, I don't think all of the power routing involves simply shunting more power into an existing system - a lot of it (sensors, maneuverability, fire control, etc) is likely just routing emergency power to back-up systems that are normally only brought on-line in case of damage.

And it's not like power routing is a huge part of the plot of Star Wars, anyway. The only reason we know it exists is because of throwaway lines from the films. Too much power routing runs the risk of majorly off-setting gameplay; re-route 2D of power to your Space 6 Freighter's engine and it can suddenly keep up with TIE Fighters (the 2E conversion rules had 1D of Speed Code equal to 2 SUs). Whill's objective here is something for a non-pilot Mech or Tech character to be able to do in a space transport battle, so that as many PCs as possible have some way to contribute once all the Piloting, Gunnery and Shield spots are taken. A flight engineer character who can operate power rerouting and damage control systems allows everyone to contribute.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stated, CRM. Thanks.

Pel, in RAW you can't quite modify everything else. Take a look at the shield generators in GG6. It says it is nearly impossible to modify them and gives no rules for doing so. That's actually what I based the statement on about modifying aux power generators.

How I interpret both statements is that is impossible to do with the repair skill alone, and a high difficulty for someone with an advanced starship engineering skill. So difficult (and perhaps expensive) that it is just impractical (yet not absolutely impossible).

But if you want PCs to be able to modify power generators (and shield generators) in your game, go for it. Please feel free to share your rules here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
How I interpret both statements is that is impossible to do with the repair skill alone, and a high difficulty for someone with an advanced starship engineering skill. So difficult (and perhaps expensive) that it is just impractical.

This reminded me of a couple things...

There's the Damage Control rule that I came up with. It could very easily be tweaked so that it could be run from a station in a ship's cockpit, rerouting power, operating internal damage control remotes and such, much like the rule I came up with for in-flight repair systems on starfighters with Astromechs.

Also, while I haven't come up with rules for it, I have been batting around the idea of moving all the system modification and enhancement rules from Starship Repair to Starship Engineering. It's not too much of a stretch to put Jury-Rigging repairs under it, as well...

Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damage Control sounds like a good optional rule.

As far as moving all system modifications from repair to engineering, I like having at least a little modification available from repair, so capping it at +1D seems better to me. And remember that modifications in RAW are dangerous because of the chance of mishaps happening. I remember the campaign where I implemented mishaps and wouldn't you know, players wisely stopped wanting to modify their ship. I have always recommended replacement with a better system over modification of an existing one. So another possibility is to have both skill options, using repair for modifications with mishaps, or engineering without mishaps.

I think some degree of Jury-Rigging should be allowed suing repair skills because jury-rigging is improper temporary repairs and modifications. Do you have Jury-Rigging rules?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at it more from an incentive for characters to learn the appropriate Engineering skills. Recall how with Medicine, for example, a character with First Aid could still operate a bacta tank, just at much higher Difficulty. I still think there is room for the repair skills to cover basic repair and maintenance of a blaster or a ship, but the Engineering skills would represent a deeper understanding, like the understanding of how, say, the repulsor-coil on the speeder bike the characters are hauling around in the main hold can be swapped out for the particle thrust guide vane on the ship's ion drive, but it has to be mounted very carefully, and absolutely must be replaced the next time we make port.

So, that deeper understanding would increase the chances of successful (mishap-free) modifications, as well as allowing things like jury-rigging and sabotage.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both the damage control and engineering aspects of this thread.

For shield modifications we sometimes used the table outlined for weapons and hull, but generally we just installed a new shield generator. The prices and weights listed are very reasonable for what you get so we just went with a new one most of the time (remember, we were VERY hard on ships).

I'm still approaching aux power with both "let them attempt it" and "systems overload" in mind. Just because you have 2 or 3D of auxiliary power doesn't mean you can cram it all into one system without some consequences, preferably of the spectacular variety. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I'm still approaching aux power with both "let them attempt it" and "systems overload" in mind. Just because you have 2 or 3D of auxiliary power doesn't mean you can cram it all into one system without some consequences, preferably of the spectacular variety. Smile

I mentioned something like that pretty early on, in that some ships would have more than 1D of power available but could only safely shunt 1D of it at a time into individual systems. An auxiliary power generator like what you suggest would certainly be one way of achieving it, and also useful for emergencies, such as getting the Dead in Space or Overloaded Reactor result on Severe Damage.

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm looking at it more from an incentive for characters to learn the appropriate Engineering skills.

In my game a PC would most likely have to start play with the skill because Engineering skills are something that would take years to learn, beyond the scope of most campaigns.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In my game a PC would most likely have to start play with the skill because Engineering skills are something that would take years to learn, beyond the scope of most campaigns.

And based on the official description of Engineering, that would be a reasonable assumption. However, this presents a problem in that, per the RAW, it is possible to learn the basics of Engineering (skill level of 1D) in two weeks. While I think you're correct that the ability to design new ships or devices should take years of study, the RAW for learning and improving Advanced Skills indicates that this would be better represented by having exceptionally high Difficulty Levels (Very Difficult or Heroic minimum) to design something completely new, rather than requiring PCs to invest years of study simply to earn a handful of dice that really don't have any practical use in the game.

Take Medicine, for instance. While the skill immediately makes me think of Doctors and similar advanced medical professionals, the time required to learn just a few dice in Medicine is more reflective of a few months in a nursing program.

In the same vein, based on the amount of CP and training time needed to acquire and improve Engineering skills, the skill is less representative of a College-educated Engineer who has studied for close to a decade, and more representative of a skilled professional, such as an experienced technician with a good grasp of what technical devices and their various parts can and can't do.

As I've said elsewhere, the Engineering skill as it stands has little to no practical application in a game setting; any scenario where a PC designs a ship / vehicle / whatever from the ground up will pretty much have to be specifically tailored for that PC to showcase his talents.

What I'm suggesting is expanding the scope of the Engineering skill, so that a PC with 4D or so of dice can make use of it to jury-rig or sabotage or make an emergency upgrade that only they have the skill to do, and leave the off-screen design stuff to high-level characters with 9D-10D in whatever specific Engineering skill they've specialized in.

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does present a problem with RAW training times. My solution to that problem is to apply some common sense to advanced skill rules and change RAW when appropriate. On Earth, becoming a paramedic usually requires at least a couple years of intensive study. I have a bachelor degree in math and the calculus background needed for engineering, but I would still require more schooling to become an engineer.

Another thing I do with advanced skills is have more prerequisites. My university was known for its nursing and education programs, and I have a little familiarity with their coursework from working for the university as a math tutor for 4 years. Nurses didn't need calculus but their command of high school math needed to be very good and some nurses really struggled with it. I have a Scholar 3D (or base Knowledge) requirement for both Medicine and Engineering to partially represent the education requirement.

I disagree that advanced skills should be required for jury-rigging. Your idea for requiring Engineering for proper modifications makes more sense. According to fluff, Jawas are good at jury-rigging and I don't see very many of them having advanced engineering skills. Jury-rigging is improper modifications so should be normal technical skills, like just doing the bare minimum to keep something up and running long enough to sell it with "no refunds". Should engineering make you better at jury-rigging? Absolutely, and it can stack on top of the base skill to do that. Now designing and/or constructing tech from the ground up, yeah I agree that should be an advanced skill.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling to clarify the dividing line I see between the two, but it many ways, it parallels the split between First Aid and Medicine, in that one covers the basics while the other covers a more advanced, conceptual understanding. There would be a certain degree of overlap, in the same way that First Aid can be used to perform basic medical tasks (operating a bacta tank) at greater Difficulty. Your Jawa example would fit in here, as their high Tech would allow them to tinker with and assemble new pieces of equipment from non-standard parts, but likely with a high rate of failure. A character with dice in Engineering, however would face lower Difficulty levels because of his deeper understanding of the underlying technical and physical principles behind why the device might fail, and how to assemble it in such a way as to counter-act it.

I'm looking at this as part of a larger, more nebulous concept of expanding the field of available Advanced skills as a way to give non-Force Sensitive PCs some areas of specialization that a Jedi wouldn't have access to, such as sabotaging complex systems for Tech-savvy PCs, or my Marksman skill for Dex-oriented PCs

Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3 cents in this subject...

I created my own power routing couple years ago dedicated for starfighters and space transports (but should work for smaller vehicles too). I made following assumptions:

• Vehicle normally powers all it's systems providing their nominal parameters.
  • There's no power reserve (no aux generator), the reserve has to be created by taking power from systems.
  • Power routing is not trivial operation, because...
  • It's kind of abusing ship power distribution system, and because of that...
  • It's inefficient, power transfer is not 1 to 1, systems and ship wiring is not prepared to that, so there are losses in between.
  • Excessive power causes system to heat and eventually overload.
  • It's quite limited due to technological limitations (and to keep game balance).

Below are my rules for that. They are playtested although not in current form (I made few changes, mostly simplifications).

I introduced a new skill machinery operation that can be used for handling stationary machinery (e.g. moisture vaporators), power routing and for shields (as a specialization).

Power Routing
Power from the ship generator is distributed among all starship systems. It may be rerouted by skilled operator (using machinery operation skills) to boost one systems at the cost of other. There are abstract Power Units (PU) used for routing.
Difficulty is Very Easy for one pip, Easy for two and so on, multiple sources and destinations increase difficulty by one level. Identical roll has to be made to restore original power distribution. Boosted system gets +1 mishap modifier per 3 PUs (round up) plus 1 MM for each minute working under load.

Legend:
Max Boost - self explanatory. Currently this column is useless because it always shows +3 PU result.
Power Units - system power consumption during normal use.
Boost by 1 PU - how system react to extra 1 PU.

Code:

System              Max boost              Power Units                Boost by 1 PU
Engines             +30% speed             4 PU (25% of speed each)   +10% speed
Man. Engines        +1D Man.               1 PU/2D Man.               +1 pip Man.
Beam Weapons        +1D damage             1 PU/3D damage             +1 pip damage
Beam Weapons        +60% range             --                         +20% range
Other Weapons       --                     1 PU (usually)             --
Shields             +1D                    1 PU/1D                    +1 pip
Life support        --                     1 PU                       --
Communication       +100% range            1 PU                       33% range
Sensors             +60% range+1D active   1 PU                       20% range, +1 pip (active)
Particle Shields*   --                     2 PU (1D each)             --
Other†              --                     1 PU                       --

* with weakened particle shields ship can't get into atmosphere, can't fly near a star or in an asteroid belt (1D hit up to once per round)
† rest of ship systems like computer, controls, lights, doors etc., lack of power converts the starship into an uncontrollable piece of junk

Example: Rerouting 2 PU from engines and 1 from weapons to shields is Difficult and causes ship to: lose 50% of it’s space move, lose 3D from weapon’s damage and boost shield by +1D.

Table is still not finished exact values are fluctuating, but you see the general idea. In game I found it quite fast in use.

I like Will's idea to delay power routing effects unless good result is rolled, I'll probably steal it and include in my HRs Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
My 3 cents in this subject...

I created my own power routing couple years ago dedicated for starfighters and space transports (but should work for smaller vehicles too). I made following assumptions:

• Vehicle normally powers all it's systems providing their nominal parameters.
  • There's no power reserve (no aux generator), the reserve has to be created by taking power from systems.
  • Power routing is not trivial operation, because...
  • It's kind of abusing ship power distribution system, and because of that...
  • It's inefficient, power transfer is not 1 to 1, systems and ship wiring is not prepared to that, so there are losses in between.
  • Excessive power causes system to heat and eventually overload.
  • It's quite limited due to technological limitations (and to keep game balance).

I obviously went in some different directions, but I find that is a very reasonable and workable set of assumptions.

Tupteq wrote:
Below are my rules for that. They are playtested although not in current form (I made few changes, mostly simplifications).

I introduced a new skill machinery operation that can be used for handling stationary machinery (e.g. moisture vaporators), power routing and for shields (as a specialization).

Power Routing
Power from the ship generator is distributed among all starship systems. It may be rerouted by skilled operator (using machinery operation skills) to boost one systems at the cost of other. There are abstract Power Units (PU) used for routing.
Difficulty is Very Easy for one pip, Easy for two and so on, multiple sources and destinations increase difficulty by one level. Identical roll has to be made to restore original power distribution. Boosted system gets +1 mishap modifier per 3 PUs (round up) plus 1 MM for each minute working under load.

Legend:
Max Boost - self explanatory. Currently this column is useless because it always shows +3 PU result.
Power Units - system power consumption during normal use.
Boost by 1 PU - how system react to extra 1 PU.

Code:

System              Max boost              Power Units                Boost by 1 PU
Engines             +30% speed             4 PU (25% of speed each)   +10% speed
Man. Engines        +1D Man.               1 PU/2D Man.               +1 pip Man.
Beam Weapons        +1D damage             1 PU/3D damage             +1 pip damage
Beam Weapons        +60% range             --                         +20% range
Other Weapons       --                     1 PU (usually)             --
Shields             +1D                    1 PU/1D                    +1 pip
Life support        --                     1 PU                       --
Communication       +100% range            1 PU                       33% range
Sensors             +60% range+1D active   1 PU                       20% range, +1 pip (active)
Particle Shields*   --                     2 PU (1D each)             --
Other†              --                     1 PU                       --

* with weakened particle shields ship can't get into atmosphere, can't fly near a star or in an asteroid belt (1D hit up to once per round)
† rest of ship systems like computer, controls, lights, doors etc., lack of power converts the starship into an uncontrollable piece of junk

Example: Rerouting 2 PU from engines and 1 from weapons to shields is Difficult and causes ship to: lose 50% of it’s space move, lose 3D from weapon’s damage and boost shield by +1D.

Table is still not finished exact values are fluctuating, but you see the general idea. In game I found it quite fast in use.

I can see the appeal of using a simple chart for reference. My system definitely has less quick reference chart and a bit more "rule" to it that may take a power-routing player (or even myself) a bit of play to remember all of. In my next campaign (solo but open to guest PCs), the central player will not be the power router (he'll be the gunner with TEC 2D), so most adventures the power router will be an NPC ran by me.

Tupteq wrote:
I like Will's idea to delay power routing effects unless good result is rolled, I'll probably steal it and include in my HRs Smile

If you are referring to the chart with the points over difficulty determining how long it takes to complete the transfer, I can't take credit for that idea. The system-to-system power routing was inspired by the WEG rule I posted in the OP. I took that and CRM's Aux Power, blended them in my brain with input from others, and came up with the comprehensive rule.

Thank you for sharing your rule here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: