The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids as a species
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Droids as a species Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, I'd say droids are resistant to water to varying degrees... resistant on a scale we'd usually call impervious, in normal circumstances, but I also doubt most of them can swim. They're too dense. Some, like probe droids, are going to have repulsorlifts that allow them to move through water, but most just sink (which can be deadly on a world ocean like MonCal or Manaan).

While I agree that droids cannot be force sensitive, I don't agree with them not getting force points. The Force is everywhere, and droids can be an instrument of the Force. They can't consciously invoke the force, but I'd also argue that most non-force sensitive mortals can't, either... they are just an instrument of the force when necessary. It's decided by the player, not the character.

But skill debilities? A lot of that is going to depend on model. A protocol droid like 3PO might be able to climb, slowly and poorly (1D Strength, no dice in it), but R2 would never be able to.

Unless they have a specific module built in, the only thing I'd let droids recover from on their own was non-critical ion damage.

On Life Preservation Programming, I have to wonder about that... consider R2 using his electrical probe on the Ewoks. There's some limitations, there.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Generally speaking, I'd say droids are resistant to water to varying degrees... resistant on a scale we'd usually call impervious, in normal circumstances, but I also doubt most of them can swim. They're too dense.

Agreed.

MrNexx wrote:
Some, like probe droids, are going to have repulsorlifts that allow them to move through water, but most just sink (which can be deadly on a world ocean like MonCal or Manaan).

Which could be deadly in any ocean. Earth is technically a "water world" with a 70% hydrosphere (and rising). Just sayin'.

MrNexx wrote:
While I agree that droids cannot be force sensitive, I don't agree with them not getting force points. The Force is everywhere, and droids can be an instrument of the Force. They can't consciously invoke the force, but I'd also argue that most non-force sensitive mortals can't, either... they are just an instrument of the force when necessary. It's decided by the player, not the character.

Don't agree with droids not getting FPs? No one said anything about FPs in this thread so I'm not sure who you are not agreeing with.

MrNexx wrote:
But skill debilities? A lot of that is going to depend on model. A protocol droid like 3PO might be able to climb, slowly and poorly (1D Strength, no dice in it), but R2 would never be able to.

That's a good one. I didn't think about climbing, but yeah that is going to depend on the model so that is probably not something we can make a standard for all droids on. I completely agree that Artoo can't climb with those legs and little grasper arms that comes out of his head.

MrNexx wrote:
Unless they have a specific module built in, the only thing I'd let droids recover from on their own was non-critical ion damage.

I like the idea of droid technology including some degree of self-repair. Perhaps not to the degree of FFG which I think equates it to organic character healing. FFG even has "emergency repair patches" that equate to "stimpacks", which I think are what they call medpacs. I think medpacks for droids is a bit silly. Of course FFG has Droids as PCs so they are trying to equate them to other PC species as much as possible. Even though some D6 GMs allow Droids as PCs, we don't have to do that here. I'm hoping to establish some standards for droid NPCs, and then anyone who allows them as PCs can take that further and try to balance.

MrNexx wrote:
On Life Preservation Programming, I have to wonder about that... consider R2 using his electrical probe on the Ewoks. There's some limitations, there.

Since Artoo used it on Jabba's lizard-monkey and it had no effect but make it jump and make it mad, I don't feel that little electric shock is actually harmful. It seems like a stun with effect, which brings up good question. Does Life Preservation Programming prevent droids from stunning someone where there is no actual harm done?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

MrNexx wrote:

Don't agree with droids not getting FPs? No one said anything about FPs in this thread so I'm not sure who you are not agreeing with.

To avoid double negatives:

I think important droids (PCs and major NPCs... Chopper, R2, C3PO, HK-47, etc.) should have force points, the same as any non-force sensitive character. They do not represent the droid purposefully harnessing the Force, but being an instrument of the Force in a moment. They cannot call upon the Force, they cannot call upon the Dark Side, but they can get the benefit of a force point when it's important.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I think important droids (PCs and major NPCs... Chopper, R2, C3PO, HK-47, etc.) should have force points, the same as any non-force sensitive character. They do not represent the droid purposefully harnessing the Force, but being an instrument of the Force in a moment. They cannot call upon the Force, they cannot call upon the Dark Side, but they can get the benefit of a force point when it's important.

OK so you're just bringing up FPs into the dissuasion, not responding to anyone. Anyway, we both agree with WEG and FFG that droids should never be Force-sensitive. I think most here would also agree that important droid NPCs should at least have CPs. The debate over whether some droids should have FPs or not is totally beside the point of this thread.

I guess I should have asked for us to focus on stock droid stats to be used for droid characters, completely outside the question of CPs and FPs. What abilities of droids are different than organic beings? This question is really regardless of whether a GM allows Droids as PC or if very important droids should have FPs are not. The very basis of any droid character is the stock stats. Important NPC and PCs build on that. I'm really concerned about the very basis.

For example, swimming again. Most droids who are characters have a STR attribute stat. According to RAW, non-advanced skills default to the attribute. Does that mean that all droids should be able to swim using their base STR? By RAW they could, but that doesn't really make sense. I think some details of droid abilities and disabilities not being addressed by the game system was an oversight that we have the opportunity to address now. For alien stats, if something isn't specified as different than it is the same of very close to human abilities. We can't do the same thing for droids. Droid technology is an amazing simulation of life in some respects, but far from an exact duplication.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: