The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Secret Identities
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Secret Identities Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Secret Identities Reply with quote

Has anyone ever played with a character who had both a public and private identity, as in one that the other PCs knew about, and one that only the GM is informed of?

For instance, say you have a Smuggler character, but what only you and the GM know is that he's a deep cover Sector Ranger.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in Star Wars. Pretty common in superhero games, though.

What would be your motivation for keeping the true identity secret? Seems like it could cause a lot of strife between players.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Not in Star Wars. Pretty common in superhero games, though.

What would be your motivation for keeping the true identity secret? Seems like it could cause a lot of strife between players.

Well, depends on the game, really. I posited one example, but what everybody in the group had their own secret that they were keeping, something known only to the GM? I'm mostly just curious is if anyone has ever done something like this in Star Wars?

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Well, depends on the game, really. I posited one example, but what everybody in the group had their own secret that they were keeping, something known only to the GM? I'm mostly just curious is if anyone has ever done something like this in Star Wars?

Secrets? Yes. I ran a Rebel Spec Ops campaign that started out with a Bounty Hunter, a Pirate, an Outlaw Cyborg Engineer, a Retired Imperial Captain from Alderaan, and three other PCs. The Pirate and Bounty Hunter were both orphans that grew up together on the planet, but the rest of these four characters did not personally know each other. However their backgrounds were tied together in unfortunate ways.

The Outlaw Cyborg Engineer ("Wendell Grossman") had been mild mannered medical droid engineer with a wife and kids. For unknown reasons the Empire hired an assassin to kill the engineer. The attack had killed his family but two advanced prototype medical droids and the group's Force PC had salvaged the engineer's brain and successfully integrated it with a humanoid droid body, thus creating the outlaw cyborg hell bent on revenge against the Empire. The Empire and assassin did not know that Grossman survived. The cyborg considered Wendell Grossman to be deceased with his family and adopted a new identity, "Vendetta-X7". However most of the time he posed as a simple mild mannered droid "V-X7". He kept a blaster in a scanner resistant leg cavity. (The player and I were influenced by Robocop when we created this character.) He rarely talked about his former life to his teammates, but when he did he spoke of Wendell Grossman as a different person. In the Bounty Hunter's background, he had been hired by the Empire to kill Wendell Grossman for reasons he did not know, and after he did the job the Empire never paid him, and they even pretended they hadn't even hired him. The Bounty Hunter eventually figured out that Vendetta was the man he had been hired to kill, but kept the secret that he knew for a while. It eventually came out and drama ensued. The Bounty Hunter PC eventually ended up sacrificing his own life to save the the Cyborg (and the entire team).

The Captain's last assignment before he retired was as part of victory-class SD task force that utterly destroyed the pirate's pirate fleet, leaving the Pirate PC (a gunner) as one of the only survivors. When the Rebel team formed, everyone knew the Retired Captain had been an Imperial Captain and the Captain became the team leader, but the pirate kept a tight lip about his background because he knew the Captain's role in destroying his pirate "family" and held a grudge. So the Pirate player acted like he didn't trust the Captain, questioned his authority, and insulted him at times. The other players were shocked and surprised at this behavior but it never was detrimental to the game. It eventually came out and the PCs made their peace with it.

Yes, it was quite "coincidental" that these PCs ended up joining the Alliance together and forming a team, but it was played as a destiny/will of the Force type of thing.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good examples. I'm also reminded of Lara Notsil in the Wraith Squadron novels, where her secret turned into a major plot point across the whole trilogy. It's definitely something that would fit better with a long-term group where the secret can be teased out over the course of multiple gaming sessions.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, Whill, I think I would have loved to have been in that SpecOps game. It sounded really fun. No shortage of drama (the good kind).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Damn, Whill, I think I would have loved to have been in that SpecOps game. It sounded really fun. No shortage of drama (the good kind).

Thanks. You would have enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an imperial agent who infiltrated one of my groups. He was good at his job and no one caught his acting, however as the campaign progressed his personal alegiances changed.

basically the empire was alway too close for comfort, a target was suddenly too hard to get to etc etc, he never directly went against the group, but he did leave stuff behind etc things that could be tracked.

He sliced a computer, leaving clues to the empire behind and the like, but as things went on he began to be less and less "loyal" to the empire, and when he fianlly truned full rebel non of the others ever suspectd him of anything from the past missions.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
I had an imperial agent who infiltrated one of my groups. He was good at his job and no one caught his acting, however as the campaign progressed his personal alegiances changed.

basically the empire was alway too close for comfort, a target was suddenly too hard to get to etc etc, he never directly went against the group, but he did leave stuff behind etc things that could be tracked.

He sliced a computer, leaving clues to the empire behind and the like, but as things went on he began to be less and less "loyal" to the empire, and when he fianlly truned full rebel non of the others ever suspectd him of anything from the past missions.

Damn, it's like having Kallus in the party without ever realizing it. 8)
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a character whose "mother" had killed her real parents when she was born and then gave her a name. Being force sensitive, she was eventually discovered by a Jedi who trained her under her given name. But eventually, in a force vision, she learned that her "mother" was anything but, and discovered what her true parents had wanted to name her. She adopted the name given by her true father, but officially, her birth/legal records retained her "false" name. After surviving Oeder 66, she resumed her old identity as a civilian.

The GM gave her a unique force power that she herself was not even aware of: whichever identity she chose to assert overrode any knowledge that a person might have of her other identity. In other words, merely by lying about her name, she caused the force to block a person's access to any direct knowledge (or, more often suspicion) they might have about her true (Jedi) identity. Since she didn't know she had this power, she never tried to use it on people who already knew her as one or the other, so it's effects were never tested in such a case.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I’d considered something along those lines whereby a Jedi could conceal their mental identity behind a false persona, to such an extent that the false persona wasn’t even aware of the false identity, even under Imperial interrogation.

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a player in my first campaign 25 years ago who was an Alliance X-wing pilot who got shot down on her first mission. She hid out in the Minos Cluster piloting a freighter for a smuggling crew, searching for a Rebel cell to bring her back to the Alliance.

She was also Force Sensitive, but the game petered out before we could explore it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest i've got, was a spec force guy, who 'acted just like a regular merc', to get into a fringer group who cause of their fringer status, had an easier time getting in and around a local planet's moff.. Lasted all of 8 sessions, before we had the 'big bad end guy' fight, and i died.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. A fair number of PCs had secrets to their backgrounds. Some that other PCs didn't know. Others that the PC themselves didn't know. These are the first few that come to mind.

Young Jedi who didn't know who his father was. His dad had turned to the Dark Side (what a suprise Laughing ). And eventually the PC ran into a clone of his own father.

Bounty Hunter with a secret that he was actually a disgraced Sector Ranger who'd been set up by corrupt coworkers.

Failed Jedi who had Captain Tanda Pryl as an identical cousin. Kind of a surprise when some other PCs ran into Captain Pryl.

PC who was an android (think Guri in Shadows of Empire), but didn't know she was an android nor (at first) did the other PCs.

But for the most part, we tended not to keep those secret from the other players.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Yes. A fair number of PCs had secrets to their backgrounds. Some that other PCs didn't know. Others that the PC themselves didn't know. These are the first few that come to mind.

Young Jedi who didn't know who his father was. His dad had turned to the Dark Side (what a suprise Laughing ). And eventually the PC ran into a clone of his own father.

Bounty Hunter with a secret that he was actually a disgraced Sector Ranger who'd been set up by corrupt coworkers.

Failed Jedi who had Captain Tanda Pryl as an identical cousin. Kind of a surprise when some other PCs ran into Captain Pryl.

PC who was an android (think Guri in Shadows of Empire), but didn't know she was an android nor (at first) did the other PCs.

But for the most part, we tended not to keep those secret from the other players.

Patty Duke reference? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: