The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fantasy Monsters in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Fantasy Monsters in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Intriguing. So you want to allow baby star dragon PCs that can survive in a vacuum and fly through space under a their own natural power?

Obviously there would be offsetting disadvantages of some form. Dragon hatchlings as PCs has precedent in both D&D and Rifts; there may be others I'm unaware of. The basic idea is that, at such a young age, a dragon is roughly on par with a low- to mid-level PC.

But wouldn't you still have the issue of them 'aging up'?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've always liked the concept of Star Dragons / Duinuogwuins, but felt that the concept was poorly realized. For one, all of the art for Duinuogwuins looks gangly and goofy. I'd love to see an artist come up with a decent-looking fantasy dragon as adapted for life in a zero-G environment.

Like, say, Purrgils? Wink

For playable dragons, give me a bit... I have some ideas. They'd be a WEIRD species, but I'll see if I can throw something up that might be fun to play.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
Intriguing. So you want to allow baby star dragon PCs that can survive in a vacuum and fly through space under a their own natural power?

Obviously there would be offsetting disadvantages of some form. Dragon hatchlings as PCs has precedent in both D&D and Rifts; there may be others I'm unaware of. The basic idea is that, at such a young age, a dragon is roughly on par with a low- to mid-level PC.

I love D&D dragons. I'm making a SW species based on the recent edition Dragonborn (humanoid dragon) appearance. No they don't have breath weapons and fantasy abilities, but I just love the look of them. I don't really like the appearance of SW star dragons as a PC species, but I would not be opposed to an NPC.

And remember, I'm the GM who has Hutts as a playable species, just at a younger stage of their long lives (early adulthood) before the extreme bloat and megalomania sets in. Regarding your young star dragon PC race, I am only questioning any PC that has the power to travel hyperspace without a starship. I am thinking that there is no disadvantage that could offset that awesome power.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But wouldn't you still have the issue of them 'aging up'?

Why do you assume a Star Dragon Hatchling would age at a rate that makes this an issue? Stereotypical dragons can live for thousands of years, and a hatchling could easily take hundreds or more to reach that point.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't really like the appearance of SW star dragons as a PC species, but I would not be opposed to an NPC.

My main problem with having the Star Dragons as a species in the SWU is how silly they look. As far as NPCs, an elder dragon might make an interesting mentor for a Force sensitive PC. It's also possible that the Empire has been hunting Star Dragons because of that sensitivity and has driven them into hiding in the Unknown Regions, where the Dragons can navigate via Instinctive Astrogation, while the Empire can't follow.

Quote:
Regarding your young star dragon PC race, I am only questioning any PC that has the power to travel hyperspace without a starship. I am thinking that there is no disadvantage that could offset that awesome power.

Agreed. I see that more as an ability that kicks in as the dragon ages, not something they can all do right away. Maybe good enough for high speed travel around a star system, but unable to perform true interstellar travel until they age a century or more.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Like, say, Purrgils? Wink

No, not like Purrgils, although the larger Star Dragons might hunt Purrgils for food.

TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm making a SW species based on the recent edition Dragonborn (humanoid dragon) appearance. No they don't have breath weapons and fantasy abilities, but I just love the look of them.

Well, if it's just about LOOKS... we're back to the Annointed People. Who are already fully statted out, including advice for turning them into PC's.

As an aside, I suspect the Annointed People's culture is meant to be a parody of the SCA.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.

First time I've ever read through the description of The Annointed People.

This part struck me:
Quote:
The Anointed People had natural weapons in the form of a thagomizer—a spiked tail—and that of big, pointed teeth in their narrow, long heads. They had hard, green skin that provided them with a natural armor against physical and, to a lesser extent, energetic damage.

Which immediately reminded me of this cartoon:

https://atrainsports.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/screen-shot-2018-07-30-at-5-59-29-pm.png?w=986

Which led me to discover that the cartoon actually influenced Paleontologists.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Which immediately reminded me of this cartoon:

https://atrainsports.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/screen-shot-2018-07-30-at-5-59-29-pm.png?w=986

Which led me to discover that the cartoon actually influenced Paleontologists.

That's so cool! I love the Far Side.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:
I'm making a SW species based on the recent edition Dragonborn (humanoid dragon) appearance. No they don't have breath weapons and fantasy abilities, but I just love the look of them.

Well, if it's just about LOOKS... we're back to the Annointed People. Who are already fully statted out, including advice for turning them into PC's.

As an aside, I suspect the Annointed People's culture is meant to be a parody of the SCA.

Nah. Lizard people are not dragon people. Dragons are much cooler looking than lizards. But I like Anointed People and I have ran the Tests of the Godking adventure a couple times.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:

Nah. Lizard people are not dragon people. Dragons are much cooler looking than lizards. But I like Anointed People and I have ran the Tests of the Godking adventure a couple times.

Since you're taking away the fantasy abilities, what differentiates them stat-wise? Whatever you're going to call them or pretend they look like, what's the issue with using Anointed People PC stats?
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Since you're taking away the fantasy abilities, what differentiates them stat-wise? Whatever you're going to call them or pretend they look like, what's the issue with using Anointed People PC stats?

I haven't looked at them in a while, but I wasn't speaking to any issue with the Anointed People stats. IMO, what makes a good PC species is the background fluff and the appearance. Anointed People are primitive and look like generic lizard people. My dragon people (Draconians) have a specific background on a specific desert planet of my own design. They have a military dictatorship and strongly value order. All citizens must serve in the military for a few years at a certain age. They worship a deity like the Babylonian god Marduk. They inhabit the northern polar region of the planet (The poles have the only seas on the planet). The Draconians control the water supply for the northern hemisphere alien colonies. The southern pole is the home of a race of intelligent dragons who value chaos and worship a deity like Tiamat. The Draconians and the dragons are mortal enemies and have battled for centuries. The Draconians are not common out on the galaxy, but they are not as primitive as the Anointed Ones.

Species stats for species I create are whatever stats I deem appropriate for the fluff (and appearance). For existing species, I tend to re-stat everything as I see fit. I do take the published stats into consideration, but if something seems off for the fluff, I'll tweak it. And when I tweak the fluff, that may require further tweaks of the stats. The Anointed One haven't appeared in my game since the early 90s and I don't remember what their stats were. I don't allow primitive PCs in my game, so any Anointed One PC in my game will have to have a background that they left their home years ago and have some galactic experience. And even then, they would probably still only have 2D in Kno and Tec.

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Anointed_People

Looking at their specific stats now, their Ted, Kno, and Mec maxes are too high.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:

I haven't looked at them in a while, but I wasn't speaking to any issue with the Anointed People stats. IMO, what makes a good PC species is the background fluff and the appearance. Anointed People are primitive and look like generic lizard people. My dragon people (Draconians) have a specific background on a specific desert planet of my own design. They have a military dictatorship and strongly value order. All citizens must serve in the military for a few years at a certain age. They worship a deity like the Babylonian god Marduk. They inhabit the northern polar region of the planet (The poles have the only seas on the planet). The Draconians control the water supply for the northern hemisphere alien colonies. The southern pole is the home of a race of intelligent dragons who value chaos and worship a deity like Tiamat. The Draconians and the dragons are mortal enemies and have battled for centuries. The Draconians are not common out on the galaxy, but they are not as primitive as the Anointed Ones.

Species stats for species I create are whatever stats I deem appropriate for the fluff (and appearance). For existing species, I tend to re-stat everything as I see fit. I do take the published stats into consideration, but if something seems off for the fluff, I'll tweak it. And when I tweak the fluff, that may require further tweaks of the stats. The Anointed One haven't appeared in my game since the early 90s and I don't remember what their stats were. I don't allow primitive PCs in my game, so any Anointed One PC in my game will have to have a background that they left their home years ago and have some galactic experience. And even then, they would probably still only have 2D in Kno and Tec.

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Anointed_People

Looking at their specific stats now, their Tec, Kno, and Mec maxes are too high.

I never suggested they be anointed people PC's or that faux-Dragonborn PC's be primitive.
ZepDek
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there is not much to them, there is a race of legit star wars elves the Sephi.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sephi/Legends

Basically humans with pointed ears and long lives. I swear I saw a race of people that were basically dwarves as well but for the life of my I can't recall them.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZepDek wrote:
I swear I saw a race of people that were basically dwarves as well but for the life of my I can't recall them.
Ugnaughts? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: