The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fantasy Monsters in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Fantasy Monsters in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I have on occasion considered allowing the amulet of the Alien Student of the Force to serve as a power focus, providing a +1D bonus to all Force skills if held in the student's hand (or leaf, in the case of the Revwien).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Just had a random thought...

Depending on how you view the Ewok movies, there is precedent for shape-shifting in the SWU. Recall that Charal - the Nightsister in Ewoks 2 - was able to shape-shift into a raven with the help of a "magic ring." There is also precedent in the SWU (Splinter of the Mind's Eye, specifically) for inanimate objects that enhance the wielder's Force power (the Kaiburr Crystal), and the Tales of the Jedi Companion mentions several Sith artifacts that impart special abilities.

I always figured the ring in Ewoks 2 was something along the lines of the Kaiburr crystal, in that it generally enhanced the wielder's Force power. The official story, however, is that the ring had a very narrow focus, and could only turn the user into a raven and back again (and Charal was trapped in raven form when the ring was destroyed).

I'm still on the fence, but if one were really interested in introducing fantasy elements to Star Wars, in many ways, the precedent for shape-shifting is already there...

I can maybe buy that a ring that enhances the Force like a Kaiburr crystal, but I still can't buy that the Force, no matter how enhanced, could turn a normal-sized adult female near-human into a raven and back. Where does the significant difference in mass go to and come from? Some feats of the Force may be mistaken as magic by the uninformed, but magic does not exist in my Star Wars universe. The Force simply can't do everything that "magic" can in a pure fantasy setting.

I always figured that the Ewok live action TV movies and animated series were just largely exaggerated stories told by Ewok years later.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I'm on the fence, and I have difficulty conceptualizing how the Force could be used in this fashion, as well. The closest I get would be something along the lines of forcing a portion of the character's physical mass out of phase with the physical universe, maybe something along the lines of the teleportation abilities of the Aing-Tii monks in the HoT books. It's still there, connected to the character, but is not physically present, so to speak...

Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a Force compendium of sorts a few years back that covers Force abilities other Force-using traditions, like the Baran-Do, use. I listed various Dathomiri and Nightsister abilities in there, and one of them is the shapeshifting ability Charal used. I drew on the Book of Sith for that. Do a search for it, and you should find it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I created a Force compendium of sorts a few years back that covers Force abilities other Force-using traditions, like the Baran-Do, use. I listed various Dathomiri and Nightsister abilities in there, and one of them is the shapeshifting ability Charal used. I drew on the Book of Sith for that. Do a search for it, and you should find it.

Do you still have a copy of the compendium itself? If not, what key words do you suggest for a search?

Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Force Compendium Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=129896#129896
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fantasy Monsters in Star Wars Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Has anyone ever crossed over any of the famous "fantasy monsters," specifically those of D&D fame?

I am late to this discussion but yes. Lizardmen will be first. I am slowly acquiring all the old Ral Partha, Grenadier, and Martian Metals lizardmen sculpts for The Anointed People. In addition to a squad of 10 infantry and a hero on foot, I'll add a squad of 5 Likka mounted cavalry so they can be a combined-arms force. I might try to convert a mounted hero as well.

I still need 6 old school lizardmen then the painting will commence.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fantasy Monsters in Star Wars Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Has anyone ever crossed over any of the famous "fantasy monsters," specifically those of D&D fame?

I am late to this discussion but yes. Lizardmen will be first. I am slowly acquiring all the old Ral Partha, Grenadier, and Martian Metals lizardmen sculpts for The Anointed People. In addition to a squad of 10 infantry and a hero on foot, I'll add a squad of 5 Likka mounted cavalry so they can be a combined-arms force. I might try to convert a mounted hero as well.

Speaking of Lizard Men, I have long toyed with including the Tzen from Robert Aspirin's "The Bug Wars" as a species.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I can maybe buy that a ring that enhances the Force like a Kaiburr crystal, but I still can't buy that the Force, no matter how enhanced, could turn a normal-sized adult female near-human into a raven and back. Where does the significant difference in mass go to and come from? Some feats of the Force may be mistaken as magic by the uninformed, but magic does not exist in my Star Wars universe. The Force simply can't do everything that "magic" can in a pure fantasy setting.

I always figured that the Ewok live action TV movies and animated series were just largely exaggerated stories told by Ewok years later.

Just to be silly, it could have been a really heavy bird. There's no such thing as conservation of volume. Can't fly if you're that dense? No problem, use the force.

I too think the ewok cartoons and movies are stories told about Wicket, by future generations of ewoks, which have only a kernel of truth. A lot of magic would be accepted by ewok audiences as perfectly plausible alongside blasters and other off-world "magic".
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:

Please share an image of your Anointed Ones when they are done! I'd love to see them.

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:

Just to be silly, it could have been a really heavy bird. There's no such thing as conservation of volume. Can't fly if you're that dense? No problem, use the force.

That drastic of a change in volume and density may not be impossible in science but that doesn't mean it would be easy. And another hard part is the transformation into a different life form class (mammal and bird). Yeah, silly.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And another hard part is the transformation into a different life form class (mammal and bird). Yeah, silly.

Yeah. More likely it's a mistranslated passage from an ewok epic poem.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the concept of Star Dragons / Duinuogwuins, but felt that the concept was poorly realized. For one, all of the art for Duinuogwuins looks gangly and goofy. I'd love to see an artist come up with a decent-looking fantasy dragon as adapted for life in a zero-G environment.

If I can find some art to inspire me, I'd like to flesh out the idea by making adult Star Dragons truly awesome opponents, ala D&D dragons, but allow PCs to play dragon hatchlings that are smaller and weaker than their parents, and on par with most PCs. Maybe some sort of open-ended growth as they age, so that truly ancient Star Dragons are the size of small-to-medium capital ships, and far more formidable.

I picture star dragon flight being based more on some form of naturally generated directional impeller field that generates from their "wings" (maybe something along the lines of the flank spines on the Chitauri Leviathans from the first Avengers film), perhaps with some sort of visual distortion that mimics the appearance of wings without the actual substance.

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Yeah. More likely it's a mistranslated passage from an ewok epic poem.

Coatee cha tu yah wah!

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've always liked the concept of Star Dragons / Duinuogwuins, but felt that the concept was poorly realized. For one, all of the art for Duinuogwuins looks gangly and goofy. I'd love to see an artist come up with a decent-looking fantasy dragon as adapted for life in a zero-G environment.

If I can find some art to inspire me, I'd like to flesh out the idea by making adult Star Dragons truly awesome opponents, ala D&D dragons, but allow PCs to play dragon hatchlings that are smaller and weaker than their parents, and on par with most PCs. Maybe some sort of open-ended growth as they age, so that truly ancient Star Dragons are the size of small-to-medium capital ships, and far more formidable.

I picture star dragon flight being based more on some form of naturally generated directional impeller field that generates from their "wings" (maybe something along the lines of the flank spines on the Chitauri Leviathans from the first Avengers film), perhaps with some sort of visual distortion that mimics the appearance of wings without the actual substance.

Intriguing. So you want to allow baby star dragon PCs that can survive in a vacuum and fly though space under a their own natural power?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Intriguing. So you want to allow baby star dragon PCs that can survive in a vacuum and fly through space under a their own natural power?

Obviously there would be offsetting disadvantages of some form. Dragon hatchlings as PCs has precedent in both D&D and Rifts; there may be others I'm unaware of. The basic idea is that, at such a young age, a dragon is roughly on par with a low- to mid-level PC.

TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Please share an image of your Anointed Ones when they are done! I'd love to see them.

It's been very sow going.

Recasts of most of the poses show in the book are available but shipping is a ****. The Martian Metals lizardman is very hard to find, although I finally managed to get one. The Grenadier lizardmen are expensive as recasts and come in a 4 pack which includes one each of the Grenadier poses shown in the book and 2 each of a 3rd, not pictured, pose. I can't decide if I should leave this 3rd pose out of my squad or not.

The Ral Partha ones are the lion's share of the squad in the book. I have found a source for these but they aren't cheap, they come in a box which includes 6 poses I can't use, and shipping's really high. So I've been dragging my heels on that. Someday when I have more money than brains I'll order a box.

I also couldn't find a nice, round, stone thatched hut like the one in the book. So I sculpted a mediocre one, made a sock mold from latex, and cast several plaster of Paris copies so they can have a village.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: