The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What can be done to improve navicomputers for Hyperspace?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> What can be done to improve navicomputers for Hyperspace?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximum7
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: What can be done to improve navicomputers for Hyperspace? Reply with quote

I’m writing a story about a scientist who is called to investigate the sudden expansion of the supermassive black hole in the center of the galaxy. In the meantime, he is working on a project. I asked John Jackson Miller himself what he could be working on and he said something to do with improving navicomputers. That meshes well on what I’m looking for as I want him to do something related to Hyperspace and navicomputers are used to make Hyperspace jumps. What could the scientist be working on in order to make navicomputers better or more efficient?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read between the lines on the latest iteration of rules for Gravity Well Projectors (see page 18 of Wanted by Cracken), gravity can nudge ships in hyperspace off course, which may be one of the primary reason ships are equipped with gravity-sensitive hyperdrive cut-outs. Your scientist could be attempting to map gravity waves in order to design an algorithm for nav-computers that takes gravity into account for route calculation purposes in order to reduce the minimum distance required to jump into hyperspace.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a network of hyperspace beacons transmitting local and regional gravity and hazard data across the Holonet enabling more accurate and efficient routes in real time.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If you read between the lines on the latest iteration of rules for Gravity Well Projectors (see page 18 of Wanted by Cracken), gravity can nudge ships in hyperspace off course, which may be one of the primary reason ships are equipped with gravity-sensitive hyperdrive cut-outs. Your scientist could be attempting to map gravity waves in order to design an algorithm for nav-computers that takes gravity into account for route calculation purposes in order to reduce the minimum distance required to jump into hyperspace.

I like this suggestion. Perhaps an alternate version of the existing sensors, that allow the ship to detect some 'alteration' in the detected waves, so it may differentiate between real ones, and 'created one's??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Or a network of hyperspace beacons transmitting local and regional gravity and hazard data across the Holonet enabling more accurate and efficient routes in real time.

Or a GPS (Galactic Positioning System) that provides precision astrolocation and astrogation data derived from the carrier signals of the nearest Holo-Comm Relays. Of course, something like this would probably be restricted to military use if it's still in development stages...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: