The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Marvel / MCU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Marvel / MCU Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interests of furthering a D6 discussion, has anyone tried out the D6 Powers system for making superhero characters by D6 rules?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In the interests of furthering a D6 discussion, has anyone tried out the D6 Powers system for making superhero characters by D6 rules?

I haven't played superheroes with it. I haven't looked at it in years and this is a good reminder to get it and refresh myself. I recall there being a little bit of inspiration for Star Wars special abilities. The author has now moved on to a D6 legends inspired success-based D6 multi-genre system (Mythic D6) that includes superheroes (so going back to the WEG DC game in some ways).

As far as superhero gaming itself, in the back-burner of my mind I am brewing a OpenD6 Pulp Adventure/Golden Age Superheroes game set in the 1930s-1940s. I'm not a fan of D6 Legends so this will be D6 proper. D6 Powers will definitely be an aid for getting my game going, but the game is not a priority. In addition to the IP-free default setting, I have a personal superhero multiverse that includes four other universes: a DC-based universe, a Marvel-based universe, a Godsend Agenda-based universe, and another universe matching ours until modern times where super-powered people first appear.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Hey now, Avatar wasn't that bad! Though, I recall reading that some people watching it in the theater had seizures as a result of all the colorful 3D SFX and such.... But that could be an awesome moment in and of itself. ("This movie is so awesome it'll knock you off your feet...literally!")

Not sure those who had the seizures would agree..

Sutehp wrote:

Now that would be a sight to see. And considering that I saw Endgame at the 3D IMAX at the Air and Space Museum (my first time in that museum in years; I need to go back there again soon) yesterday (my second time seeing Endgame after the Uptown in DC), I've seen quite a bit. 8)

I will be seeing it a 2nd time, tomorrow.. Hopefully this time i get a better seat..
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Avatar but I'm definitely not a James Cameron fan in general. I may end up agreeing that Infinity War/Endgame is a better movie than Avatar, but I have only seen Endgame once so I'll have to see it again to better formulate opinions about it and comparisons to other films. It will be in theater for a long time so there's really no rush.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several other sites i am on, i am already seeing folk say "The oscars is borked up, if this doesn't get best director, best film, best actor and such, and only merely gets nominated for best effects/sound track"..
Though some are arguing over who SHOULD have the nod for best actor..
RDJ or Chris evans?
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Several other sites i am on, i am already seeing folk say "The oscars is borked up, if this doesn't get best director, best film, best actor and such, and only merely gets nominated for best effects/sound track"..
RDJ or Chris evans?

RDJ is Iron Man and he's always good. Endgame was Chris Evans' best performance in the MCU since The First Avenger because the Steve Rogers' story arc was actually more pronounced. However I don't think either performance was Oscar worthy. But then again award shows are total BS so, why not?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin Diesel for Best Supporting. That last 'I am Groot' had me in tears. Laughing
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
RDJ or Chris evans?

RDJ is Iron Man and he's always good. Endgame was Chris Evans' best performance in the MCU since The First Avenger because the Steve Rogers' story arc was actually more pronounced. However I don't think either performance was Oscar worthy. But then again award shows are total BS so, why not?

Yeah, like Whill, I've considered the Oscars to be BS for years and haven't bothered to watch them in years. The whole thing is more politics than actual merit, to say nothing about the silliness of trying to objectively judge the art of movies. For years, the Oscars snubbed stuff like sci-fi/fantasy and comics movies on the rationale that such things weren't highbrow or serious art. Nowadays, the newly found recognition of such movies can be chalked up to at least two things (that might not even be mutually exclusive): 1) recognition that such movies do have artistic value and/or 2) acknowledging these types of films with Oscar awards just because they've become incredibly popular/profit-margin expanding.

I dunno. Sure, it would be nice to see Endgame win Best Picture and see either RDJ or Chris Evans win Best Actor (or even see Vin Diesel win Best Supporting Actor; that would be a hoot!). But ultimately, the fact that these awards are decided more by politics than by artistic merit (something that I admit I don't know how could be objectively judged as it's beyond the scope of my knowledge) makes me unable to take the Oscars very seriously.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel's requested "spoiler embargo" for Avengers: Endgame ended Monday but that was only after 10 days of release. I'm still observing spoiler conventions. The link below has massive spoilers for Avengers: Endgame. Don't click unless you've seen it! If you haven't seen it, go see it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudiosSpoilers/comments/bhkdbm/

This is page that has a link to a handy "plot diagram" that helps follow this complex, epic story. Let me know if you have any questions. (Don't forget white font colour spoiler tagging as appropriate).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Yeah, like Whill, I've considered the Oscars to be BS for years and haven't bothered to watch them in years. The whole thing is more politics than actual merit, to say nothing about the silliness of trying to objectively judge the art of movies. For years, the Oscars snubbed stuff like sci-fi/fantasy and comics movies on the rationale that such things weren't highbrow or serious art.

You're not the only one who's peeved that for decades, the oscars (and even other major awards) continually shun sci-fi shows.. That's one reason, the LAST oscars i watched was WAYYYYY back in the late 90s...

Sutehp wrote:

I dunno. Sure, it would be nice to see Endgame win Best Picture and see either RDJ or Chris Evans win Best Actor (or even see Vin Diesel win Best Supporting Actor; that would be a hoot!). But ultimately, the fact that these awards are decided more by politics than by artistic merit (something that I admit I don't know how could be objectively judged as it's beyond the scope of my knowledge) makes me unable to take the Oscars very seriously.

It certainly IMO damn well deserves to win something...
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually explains a lot. I've been puzzled over the ramifications of some events but that chart clears it all up. Thank you!
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: MCU Timeline Reply with quote

This is an MCU timeline. There are many conflicting fan timelines out there because Marvel has been extremely inconsistent with respect to dates in the movies themselves and when referring to events in other movies. Last year Marvel published their first official timeline which included an error (Infinity War's placement) that they have already corrected this year with Endgame.

The official timeline published last year also nonsensically placed Black Panther a year after Civil War. Adopting any timeline is going to involve some of the in-film time references to be incorrect, but Peter Parker's age, school year/events, and New York weather in these films place Homecoming only a few months after Civil War so Civil War can't take place in December with Black Panther in January. Civil War must takes place in the summer of 2016. Black Panther explicitly establishes that it begins one week after T'Challa's father's death, so the film was meant to take place less than a week after the events of Civil War. Since T'Challa is ascending to the throne of Wakanda left vacant by his father's death, it doesn't makes any sense for this to take place a year after his father dies. And his father's recent death is an extremely significant aspect of the film, so the film's timeline placement immediately after Civil War is absolutely intrinsic to the narrative. Since stingers often take place an indistinct amount of time after the film's main narrative, it is likely that Marvel's intention in Black Panther's placement was actually when the stinger with Bucky recovering in Wakanda took place, long after the film's main narrative. And this stinger-dating phenomena in reverse might have been why the official timeline last year erroneously put Infinity War in 2017, because a stinger for Ragnarok happens soon before Infinity War.

Since there is no possible timeline that resolves all time discrepancies, there are going to be some in-film dates and 'X years ago' references in some films that don't jive with this timeline, but I feel this timeline works the best, all things considered. Endgame references have taken precedent over older references because some prior films are very explicitly given setting years in Endgame, and the general practice of retconning.

So this is the suggested viewing order by year of each film's main narrative. This does not include all flashbacks. I have included notes for a few films. Keep in mind that some stingers take place out of order (some even during the film).

1943-1945

Captain America: The First Avenger - And after being frozen for 67 years, Steve wakes up in 2012 before The Avengers.

Captain Marvel

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor

The Avengers

2012-2013

Iron Man 3 - The stinger reveals that the main narrative was a January flashback of events that took place in December.

The Dark World

The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
(The stinger with adolescent Groot takes place years later, closer to Infinity War.)

Age of Ultron
Ant-Man

Civil War
Black Panther - The Bucky stinger possibly takes place in 2017 but probably takes place in 2018.
Spider-Man: Homecoming

2016-2017

Doctor Strange - This film takes place over the course of over a year, starting before Civil War and ending before Ragnarok.

Ragnarok - The stinger takes place in 2018, right before Infinity War.

Ant-Man and the Wasp - The main narrative takes place before Infinity War, but the stinger takes place during Infinity War.
Infinity War

2018-2023

Endgame

EDIT: See this post for updates and more details.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:13 pm; edited 9 times in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, a decent MCU timeline that makes sense (or at least appears to).
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

My goals are as follows:

1. Make sense.
2. Appear to make sense.

Thank you!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

My goals are as follows:

1. Make sense.
2. Appear to make sense.

Thank you!

Good to know that our goals aligned (at least in this one case). Razz

And you're welcome, Whill. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: