The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Marvel / MCU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Marvel / MCU Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential film viewing list to prepare for Endgame Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And I thought I would mention that Endgame had no stinger scenes. There is a brief backwards-looking audio-only stinger at the end of the credits, but not worth waiting for if you have to pee.

Heh, yeah, when I went to go see Endgame with some friends of mine, we all deliberately waited during the credits expecting to see at least one stinger. About at least half the theater also waited for the stingers as well. When the credits finally finished and no stingers appeared, the entire audience remaining in the theater burst out laughing as if we had been trolled like the way we had been trolled before during the Captain America stinger at the end of Spider-Man: Homecoming. I heard the audio-only "stinger" as well but didn't recognize it for what it was until I read about it later. I don't think revealing it is (that) much of a spoiler but I won't ruin it regardless.

Still, in retrospect, it makes sense that there isn't a stinger in Endgame as it's essentially the end of a chapter in the MCU, as it wouldn't make sense for there to be a "Tune in next time to see..." equivalent at the end of this movie.

Whill wrote:
Endgame has grossed over a billion dollars worldwide in its opening weekend alone, so this movie is going to be huge. If anyone wants to discuss it, don’t forget the white font colour 'spoiler tagging' when applicable. Thanks.

A billion dollars in its opening weekend alone??? Holy crap. Does that make it well on its way to being the highest grossing movie ever?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Whill on his list. We saw Endgame today, and watching Antman and Wasp last night really helped the first act.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Avengers: Endgame Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
No spoilers, but I did fight back tears a couple of times. It never felt like a 3 hour movie. Seeing it again tomorrow.

My son was crying on my shoulder at the end. Iron Man is his favorite Marvel superhero. We'll be watching Captain America: The First Avenger at home, then seeing Captain Marvel again in the theater, and then I'll go see Endgame again in the theater. There is just so much going on at the end it is easy to miss stuff. And for good movies, it seems like I enjoy my second viewing the most.

Pel wrote:
$1.2 billion opening weekend and Marvel/Disney earned every penny. This is the best one yet, folks, and a great ending to the 22 movie arc. If that's not epic, I don't know what is.

Too soon for me to say it the best but it is definitely up there for me. I still think of Infinity War/Endgame as single 5.5 hour film so we'll see where they fall.

garhkal wrote:
It certainly WAS a very worthwhile ending to the cinematic creation of Marvel.. FOR NOW..

Right. There will certainly be more Avengers movies, and a Black Widow movie is in the works. Among other things.

Sutehp wrote:
Heh, yeah, when I went to go see Endgame with some friends of mine, we all deliberately waited during the credits expecting to see at least one stinger. About at least half the theater also waited for the stingers as well. When the credits finally finished and no stingers appeared, the entire audience remaining in the theater burst out laughing as if we had been trolled like the way we had been trolled before during the Captain America stinger at the end of Spider-Man: Homecoming. I heard the audio-only "stinger" as well but didn't recognize it for what it was until I read about it later. I don't think revealing it is (that) much of a spoiler but I won't ruin it regardless.

But it could because it refers to Iron Man and people could wonder, Why is there a tribute to Iron Man in the stinger? Sure it could just be because the original Iron Man film is the film that kicked off this series, but still, no need to give people another possibility to wonder about.

But it is almost impossible to stay spoiler-free for long. There was a NFL player that unapologetically tweeted Endgame spoilers, and an a-hole who shouted spoilers after seeing it to people in line to see it at the theater. Social media and news apps are loaded with articles about the film. If you haven't seen it, go see it!

MrNexx wrote:
I'll second Whill on his list. We saw Endgame today, and watching Antman and Wasp last night really helped the first act.

Cool. Hopefully you also watched Infinity War sometime recently too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
and then I'll go see Endgame again in the theater. There is just so much going on at the end it is easy to miss stuff. And for good movies, it seems like I enjoy my second viewing the most.

You're not the only one!

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
It certainly WAS a very worthwhile ending to the cinematic creation of Marvel.. FOR NOW..

Right. There will certainly be more Avengers movies, and a Black Widow movie is in the works. Among other things.

Yea, we already know at least some of the phase 4 new movies;
Panther 2(some time in 2021)
GotG3 (also some time in 2021)
Black widow (no date given yet)
Dr strange 2 (May 2021)
SPidey 2 (later this year)
Shang Chi (no date given)
Eternals (no date given)

Then on Disney plus (BOOOOOOOO)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
WandaVision
Loki
Hawkeye
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

MrNexx wrote:

No, but we SAW it, which we could not say for AM&W
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

No, but we SAW it, which we could not say for AM&W

I see what you mean. Yes, I'm glad you got to see Ant-Man and the Wasp before Endgame.

Sutehp wrote:
A billion dollars in its opening weekend alone??? Holy crap. Does that make it well on its way to being the highest grossing movie ever?

Um, yeah. Only time will tell, but it is on the way. Endgame is already the 10th highest grossing film of all-time in the world. The current Top 4, the only films that have grossed over $2 billion so far, are (1) Avatar, (2) Titanic, (3) TFA, and (4) Infinity War. It's a safe bet Endgame will make the Top 5. It will likely top IW and TFA isn't far above that. In the grand scheme of things Titanic isn't far above that (relatively). But Avatar is leaps and bounds (a good $600 million) above Titanic, so beating that is longer odds. But it certainly is possible.

Check out Avengers: Endgame on Box Office Mojo. Endgame has already earned the #1 spot in many records:

Worldwide Openings
Foreign Opening Weekends
Opening Day Gross
Single Day Gross
Theater Averages (Wide Releases) - All Time
Theater Averages - Wide Opening Weekends
Opening Weekends
Top 3-Day Grosses
Top 4-Day Grosses
Widest Releases
Widest Opening Releases
Fastest to $100 million
Fastest to $150 million
Fastest to $200 million
Fastest to $250 million
Fastest to $300 million
Fastest to $350 million

And Endgame has already usurped The Force Awakens as the film with the most records. Endgame is not done earning records.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What saddens me is that this could've been Star Wars, if only Disney hadn't decided to rest on Lucas' laurels and phone it in on brand name recognition. Endgame is what Disney could have done with the new trilogy if only they'd applied themselves to it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Disney/Marvel does a great job of telling stories and making their characters relevant to the audience. Disney/Lucas is currently batting .500 on that, at least by my reckoning. It pains me to say it, because Star Wars has always been my first love, but the movie quality isn't what it used to be, but gems like Solo (yes, I think it's a fine film) and Rogue One show us they can make great Star Wars movies. Now Disney/Lucas just needs to do it consistently.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney is going to run Marvel and Star Wars both into the ground sooner or later. The MCU has been fairly consistently good, but they are moving on to their B properties now and the Marvel formula is going to wear thin. I'm not that excited for the future of the MCU.

I really do not want to see them apply the Marvel mentality to Star Wars because that will only hasten the end. I don't want to see consistent $2 billion Star Wars movies unless they are really worth it because they will really just rest on their laurels (the formula that gives them mountains of cash) and really just start dialing it in. Star Wars is already in a very precarious spot. While they had one unsuccessful film which is a good lesson for them that they can't count on success without trying, the bad film was the big hit and the good film was the weak performer. The only hope is that Disney has learned the lesson of market saturation doesn't work for Star Wars like it does for Marvel.

Please Disney, do not Marvelize Star Wars!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Disney is going to run Marvel and Star Wars both into the ground sooner or later. The MCU has been fairly consistently good, but they are moving on to their B properties now and the Marvel formula is going to wear thin. I'm not that excited for the future of the MCU.

I agree.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I was kinda hoping to get my sister and dad into watching Endgame with me. But then I realized it would be problematic not only for the reason that they haven't seen any of the MCU movies (and it would take days, if not weeks, to get them to even see the most relevant MCU movies to understand Endgame), but also for the reason that my sister recently told me that she tried to watch Black Panther some time ago on Netflicks to see if it would live up to her expectations after all the hype....

She turned it off after 30 minutes. She said it was "too slow" for her. (Yes, she actually said that about Black Panther.)

Well, the MCU isn't for everyone.

In any case, I have tickets to go see Endgame again, this time at the 3D IMAX showing at the Air and Space Museum instead of the Uptown. It should be suitable awesome for my second time seeing it.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

There are people walking this Earth who don't like Star Wars. Now that's something I don't get.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

It isn't for everyone, but it is for quite a lot of people. This 2nd weekend of Endgame's release, its worldwide gross has leaped ahead of TFA and has also even sunk the Titanic to become the #2 top grossing film of all-time. Avatar is now in sight, $600000 to go. Endgame could become the first $3 billion movie.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to Avatar, it damn well deserves to be 'top dawg
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

There are people walking this Earth who don't like Star Wars. Now that's something I don't get.

Agreed. Some people you just can't reach. Rolling Eyes

garhkal wrote:
Compared to Avatar, it damn well deserves to be 'top dawg

Hey now, Avatar wasn't that bad! Though, I recall reading that some people watching it in the theater had seizures as a result of all the colorful 3D SFX and such.... But that could be an awesome moment in and of itself. ("This movie is so awesome it'll knock you off your feet...literally!")

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

It isn't for everyone, but it is for quite a lot of people. This 2nd weekend of Endgame's release, its worldwide gross has leaped ahead of TFA and has also even sunk the Titanic to become the #2 top grossing film of all-time. Avatar is now in sight, $600000 to go. Endgame could become the first $3 billion movie.

Now that would be a sight to see. And considering that I saw Endgame at the 3D IMAX at the Air and Space Museum (my first time in that museum in years; I need to go back there again soon) yesterday (my second time seeing Endgame after the Uptown in DC), I've seen quite a bit. 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: