The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Marvel / MCU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Marvel / MCU Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Loki. (Disney Plus series — starts June 11, 2021)
Black Widow. (Theater+Disney Plus film — July 9, 2021)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. (September 3, 2021)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpxoFcdORI

Disney posted a video today, the first part of which is a retrospective with the spoken words of Stan Lee. The second part of which had some sneak peek footage of the next three films and some future film release dates, which newly reveals some sequel title names.

Quote:
Black Widow - July 9, 2021
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - September 3, 2021
Eternals - November 5, 2021
Spider-Man: No Way Home - December 17, 2021
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - March 25, 2022
Thor: Love and Thunder - May 6, 2022
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - July 8, 2022
The Marvels - November 11, 2022
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - February 17, 2023
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - May 5, 2023
Fantastic Four - TBA

Black Widow and Shang-Chi are hopeful to be action extravaganzas. The Ten Rings is the mysterious villainous organization the terrorists of the first Iron Man film were associated with. According to an MCU comic they are why War Machine was not at the Battle of New York in the first Avengers film - He was in Hong Kong fighting them at the same time. According to lore they are lead by the Mandarin. Two Mandarins appeared in Iron Man 3, an actor playing a fake Mandarin and the supposedly real Mandarin, the lava power guy in charge of the A.I.M. company. But in the Marvel One-Shot "All Hail The King" revealed that the lava guy also wasn't the real Mandarin, and the one in Shang-Chi is supposed to be the real Mandarin and much more comic accurate.

The Eternals are supposedly a race of aliens (Thanos' species?) who secretly live on Earth. I do not know them from the comics. So far I have no expectations for this film and I'm not at all looking forward to it. Maybe a trailer will change my mind.

Still a lot of rumors about the next Spider-Man film. Supposedly it will deal heavily with the real multiverse (as opposed to the last film in which the character from another universe turned out to be a fraud). This one will supposedly cross-over with the two prior Spider-Man film series, with actors from those series playing their original characters or another universe's version of their characters. I'm looking forward to this. Doctor Strange will supposedly be in this which leads into his own sequel.

I noticed that I think I had the preposition wrong in the Doctor Strange sequel's title. This will have Wanda/Scarlet Witch in it and pick up some of the plot from that series. I'm not too excited about this movie.

Natalie Portman is back in Thor: Love and Thunder, a story supposedly about Jane Foster having the power of Thor while fighting cancer. It is directed by the same director as the third Thor film (who is also a Mandalorian director). The last Thor was the best one so I am looking forward to this one.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will supposedly have Shuri take over the mantle of Black Panther in the wake of the death of actor Chadwick Boseman. I'm looking forward to this.

Marvels is the Captain Marvel sequel which will also feature two characters from Disney+ shows: Monica Rambeau from WandaVision and Ms. Marvel from the forthcoming self-titled series. No character was ever called "Captain Marvel" in the first film and Monica actually has the rank of Captain, so generalizing the film name to Marvels is probably less confusing.

The first two Ant-Man films were ok so I'm not too excited for a third one.

I didn't like GGotG 2 and the first one is not one of my fave MCU films, so I am not at all interested in another one or the "holiday special" that is going to be on Disney+.

I'm not at all looking forward to the fourth Fantastic Four film. I'm not a fan of stretchy superheroes so never liked Mr. Fantastic, even as a kid. I never cared for the Thing either. I like Invisible Woman, and the Human Torch was one of my favorite Marvel superheroes when I was a kid but I never collected this series because I only liked two out of the four heroes (I thought Mr. Fantastic and Thing should have been replaced by Daredevil and Spider-Man). Then the first two movies were horrible (the only good part about them was Jessica Alba). I only watched the second one because I reasoned that there is no way it could be as bad as the first, but I was wrong. I had finally learned my lesson and did not even watch the reboot movie.

I like that none of these newly announced sequel film titles are using sequel numbers like Iron Man 2 and 3 did. I'm surprised that the video didn't refer to the Captain America sequel, so maybe it is only "in development" and not officially announced yet. Still no new Avengers movies announced, but you know they are coming. The same with X-Men.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i am burned OUT on superhero films after endgame.. I saw far from home, just cause of the end-game tie in (with the mourning of stark), but that's it for me..
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely a lot less excited about MCU now than before Endgame, but a bit more excited than I was about it in the summer of 2019.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still going, TBH. Even the worst MCU films have been, at worst, okay, while the good ones have been great. Marvel Studios has a fair bit of credit with me, so I'll keep going at least until they exhaust.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a big fan of Marvel (more than DC) since 1976, and I've liked almost all of the films, even the FF ones and X-Men Last Stand.

The MCU has been outstanding, with very few misses.

The DCU has been spotty. I really liked the first WW and Aquaman, but WW84 was abysmal.

I'm very optimistic about the future of the MCU, as they've done a great job with it now for around 13 years and dozens of movies/shows.

As far as role-playing, I have a sporadic campaign that uses the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system, which is a quite different, unconventional RPG (it uses dice pools and is quite narrative). In less than 2 weeks I get a chance to play in an X-Men game using the old, original Marvel rpg (commonly called FASERIP) which I've never played before (I thought the stats like Amazing sounded stupid when I was younger).
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, despite being less excited, my like-to-dislike ratio would have to be a lot worse than it is for to me to stop with the MCU. I'm in for all the D+ shows too. However, I may not see any movies in the theater anymore, so I may be waiting for them to come to Disney+ to see them. It seems somehow fitting that the last film I saw in the theater was TRoS.

People keep bringing DC into comparison with Marvel. Even after WW84 I'm still looking forward to a third WW film. There's just got to be more action and no magical wishes next time - They just won't do that again. The only officially slated forthcoming DC film I am not looking forward to is the next Suicide Squad, but I will watch it once on HBO Max anyway out of deep seated DC brand loyalty going back to 1974.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comprehensive MCU release schedule that is currently up-to-date except that Captain America 4 was also recently announced.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're doing What If but not What The--?! I'm gonna protest. I'm gonna sue. I am going to wage war unending up their ancestors and descendants.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
In less than 2 weeks I get a chance to play in an X-Men game using the old, original Marvel rpg (commonly called FASERIP) which I've never played before (I thought the stats like Amazing sounded stupid when I was younger).

I enjoy the old Marvel RPG. I taught my kids how to play RPGs on it and I still crack it out from time to time. Smile

I'm thinking about running another Avengers game, where the players make non-super-powered Agents of SHIELD. They do their missions, earning points for doing so. The points can be redeemed to 'unlock' the super-powered Avengers to be used by the Players as additional characters for the bigger higher-threat missions.

Part of the game is about resource management. You don't want to waste the points to bring Thor in on a mission when the much cheaper Hawkeye can help you get it done, and risk not having enough to assemble all of the roster to fight the big bad at the end of the campaign!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spider-Ham was in Sony's Spider-Verse movie, which as I understand will eventually show up on Disney+ with a ton of other Sony movies.

We only played the FASERIP Marvel game a handful of times in junior high, making original super heroes for it. I really regret getting rid of that original Marvel Super Heroes box set (the yellow one). The Marvel RPG is just way too expensive on eBay to justify buying it back. If they ever have a POD of it on Drive-Thru RPG, I am jumping all over that (like I did for Star Frontiers).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: D6 Powers Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In the interests of furthering a D6 discussion, has anyone tried out the D6 Powers system for making superhero characters by D6 rules?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/57439/D6-POWERS-Revised-and-Expanded?affiliate_id=43463

D6 Powers R&E is only $1.34 at Drive-Thru. Great deal!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:
In less than 2 weeks I get a chance to play in an X-Men game using the old, original Marvel rpg (commonly called FASERIP) which I've never played before (I thought the stats like Amazing sounded stupid when I was younger).

I enjoy the old Marvel RPG. I taught my kids how to play RPGs on it and I still crack it out from time to time. Smile

I'm thinking about running another Avengers game, where the players make non-super-powered Agents of SHIELD. They do their missions, earning points for doing so. The points can be redeemed to 'unlock' the super-powered Avengers to be used by the Players as additional characters for the bigger higher-threat missions.

Part of the game is about resource management. You don't want to waste the points to bring Thor in on a mission when the much cheaper Hawkeye can help you get it done, and risk not having enough to assemble all of the roster to fight the big bad at the end of the campaign!

That sounds like a fun way to do things!
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Widow is pretty good. Not the best MCU movie, but not bad.

EDIT: I updated the "proper film order" image below with respect to Black Widow.

See also this post for more details.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v- Highlight all the text below this for my full (very minor spoiler) reaction to the Loki finale -v

WandaVision and Loki are the weird oddballs of the MCU. I thought Loki seemed like an overall much better concept than WandaVision, but the final episode of Loki had almost no action and was incredibly boring, all for the sake of a cliffhanger for Loki Season 2 and the supposedly mind-blowing implications for the future of MCU (or should we officially call it the MCM now?). Lame. So we have our "new Thanos." At least WandaVision's final episode was an epic payoff from the slow burn building up to it. And the final episode of Loki still never explained how some people were causing divergent realities to branch off the main timeline without time travel in the first place, the premise of the entire show. It's like they put Endgame into a blender to came up with the basis of the MCM, a new reality where Infinity Stones are only paperweights. I wasn't expecting Fringe quality TV, but it's still disappointing because I really felt like the Loki series was going to be better than it was. Falcon and the Winter Soldier is still my favorite MCU show so far, for it being mostly great with just a few iffy plot contrivances and slow parts. I'm still not very excited with where the franchise is going.

^- Highlight all the text above this for my full (very minor spoiler) reaction to the Loki finale -^
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the first episode of What If? was neat. And the animation style is far superior to Star Wars animation.

Whill wrote:
Black Widow is pretty good. Not the best MCU movie, but not bad.

EDIT: I updated the "proper film order" image with respect to Black Widow.

See also this post for more details.

Disney+ lists the viewing order of the four shows as:

Loki
What If?
WandaVision
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

These are after Endgame of course. I'm not going to bother putting these into my above film viewing order (and it is currently not clear where these shows take place with respect to Far From Home anyway). At this point I consider these shows to just be supplementary material. I really don't feel too interested in watching these whole series again, so once (in original release order) may enough. I'll probably rewatch the final episodes before new movies (or season 2s) they are relevant to.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: