The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gun safes.. E-lock or manual dial?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Gun safes.. E-lock or manual dial?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:22 am    Post subject: Gun safes.. E-lock or manual dial? Reply with quote

For those who are collectors, shooters, hunters etc, IE those who own guns.. When you look for gun safes to store them in, who here prefers those electronic (OR E-locks), vs those who prefer manual dial locks.

For those who prefer manual dial locks, is there any specific reason?
For those who prefer the E-locks, is it because of ease of use??
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

due to the semi-recent debacle in the gun safe world, a lot more people are going with the old school analog locks over the newer electronic locks. for more info youll have to look it up on your own.

But for me I prefer analog locks on my gun safes. Mainly cause I have had bad luck with electronic locks.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic keypad lock with a physical key as a backup.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BIG safe is a manual twirly combo lock on the door.
My bedside safe, entry closet safe, and car safes are all biometric (4 finger pad buttons needing a certain order to open).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
due to the semi-recent debacle in the gun safe world, a lot more people are going with the old school analog locks over the newer electronic locks. for more info youll have to look it up on your own.

But for me I prefer analog locks on my gun safes. Mainly cause I have had bad luck with electronic locks.

What sort of bad luck?

ThrorII wrote:
My BIG safe is a manual twirly combo lock on the door.
My bedside safe, entry closet safe, and car safes are all biometric (4 finger pad buttons needing a certain order to open).

Manual dials, are better from what i hear, for security, while biometric are swifter to access. BUT is there any worry if you say, get a scar on a finger, that it won't be recognized??
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I say get rid of the safes and the guns period. I don't have a gun or a permit to own one. But there's been enough stories out there about a moment of inattention leading to disaster.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Personally, I say get rid of the safes and the guns period. I don't have a gun or a permit to own one. But there's been enough stories out there about a moment of inattention leading to disaster.

Gun safes are being discussed by responsible gun owners who keep them locked up. The sad 'inattention' stories I've heard about usually involve someone getting a hold of someone's gun they should not have access too. Gun safes help prevent those occurrences.

My dad is a Vietnam vet from Texas. Until my parents got divorced, I grew up in homes with guns. I can't speak to how secure they were because my brother and I never even knew where the guns were stored, by design. I rarely ever even saw a gun out of its storage place, wherever it was. (I'm only remembering my dad had to use one to euthanize a neighbor's kitten that had crawled up into his car engine and got mangled when he started it one morning. I didn't see him get it out or put or away.) When we visited Texas, I shot my uncle's gun. My uncle also seemed like a very safety-minded, responsible gun owner.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An added layer of safety, regardless of which you choose: bolt it to the floor, preferably a concrete slab. A safe can be moved relatively easily with a hand cart otherwise, and can be taken to a location where the thieves have all the time in the world to cut it open.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:

That’s unlikely to ever happen, regardless of any tragedies.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
An added layer of safety, regardless of which you choose: bolt it to the floor, preferably a concrete slab. A safe can be moved relatively easily with a hand cart otherwise, and can be taken to a location where the thieves have all the time in the world to cut it open.

One of the guys i knew while stationed in Guam did just that. BUT he cemented the base INTO the floor, since it has 3 inches of metal from the base to the bottom of the door.. so it's inserted 2.75 inches.. THEN he screwed it into the framing of the wall...
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
thedemonapostle wrote:

What sort of bad luck?

years ago when i was a lot younger and living with my dad, he got a gun safe. well he had me memorize the numerical code for the touch pad. well when i went to go input it for the first time, the brand new freshly installed safe with its fancy key pad, shorted out, smoke and all. used the warranty and had a new key pad installed.
next time i went to go unlock the safe, it shorted out.
i was there later when the safe tech installed a new key pad and had us test it out right after it had been programmed with the new code. he did it, my dad did it, then i did it and right as i finished it shorted out again. smoke and all.
afterward my dad had expressed several choice words and made a decision to return the safe and get new one with both analog and electronic combo lock. can use either one to open it.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, if yu had an issue with static electrical build up, causing that level of shorting out of the lock..
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
garhkal wrote:
thedemonapostle wrote:

What sort of bad luck?

years ago when i was a lot younger and living with my dad, he got a gun safe. well he had me memorize the numerical code for the touch pad. well when i went to go input it for the first time, the brand new freshly installed safe with its fancy key pad, shorted out, smoke and all. used the warranty and had a new key pad installed.
next time i went to go unlock the safe, it shorted out.
i was there later when the safe tech installed a new key pad and had us test it out right after it had been programmed with the new code. he did it, my dad did it, then i did it and right as i finished it shorted out again. smoke and all.
afterward my dad had expressed several choice words and made a decision to return the safe and get new one with both analog and electronic combo lock. can use either one to open it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Basically, the new hi-tech lock kept blowing it fuse. And on the final occasion, when it happened in front of you, your dad, and the technician after he had installed a brand new one at your father's request, your dad blew his fuse. I'd write what I think your father said, but I'd be banned here.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the possibility that you have very low-grade (1/2D) Force Lightning that emanates from your fingers at all times Razz
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn that pesky dark side always active power... Pity he can't use it to recharge his phone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: