The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Rise of Skywalker (second speculation thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They fly now

Even if Threepio knew about Imperial rocket troopers, the simple explanation is that they could be the first First Order rocket troopers that did not yet exist when Finn was in the FO.

~~~

In other news, Daisy Ridley rapped a recap of Episodes I-VIII.

OMG she is so cute.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: TRoS TV Spot Reply with quote

This will be the final word in the story of Skywalker.

This Palpatine line may or may not be in the film (it could be just for this commercial). Nice that they are using a little Duel of the Fates. I really hope that music is referenced in the score.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-timeline-last-jedi/

Might have been posted earlier; TRoS is going to have a 1 year time jump
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly it has been confirmed that this is Death Star II wreckage and it is not on the Forest Moon of Endor. It is on the ocean moon of Kef Bir, which of course could be another moon in the Endor system.

However... Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker - Featurette Video

At the 2:42 mark, this video shows a young Warwick Davis with Carrie Fisher in Redwood Forest filming RotJ in 1982. At 2:43, the image shifts to a middle-aged Warwick Davis wearing an updated Wicket costume. This can only mean the return of Wicket (and Ewoks) to the film franchise in TRoS! I find this makes me very happy. I can't really put into words what this means to me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: JJ warns fans Reply with quote

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/12/rise-of-skywalker-new-force-powers

Quote:
It was really important that we not just redo the things you've seen, but add new elements—which we knew will infuriate some people and thrill others.

Quote:
Among those things are not just new ways of doing sort of traditional, must-have sequences, whether it's chases or lightsaber battles, or what have you. We wanted to make sure that this picture also showed aspects of the Force in ways that go beyond what you've seen before.

Quote:
The challenge on this film, being the end of three trilogies, was to tell a story that not only feels inevitable but also feels surprising. There are some people who want to not like something—and they will, without question, find something to not like. And people who want to like it, will find the things to like. I feel like you get criticized for changing too much, you get criticized for not changing enough.

Nice of JJ to warn that some of us will be infuriated and say, "The Force doesn't work like that!"

I'm finding that I'm feeling really good about the end of Star Wars as we know it. Everyone will vent about the things they didn't like, and then there is no more dread about how Disney will further ruin the Skywalker Saga. It won't be present tense anymore. I think that disgruntled fans will be able to put it behind them. Then we will each decide how much of the Disney films will be in our personal canons, and we will all proceed as we had before: There is a body of SW works with mixed opinions. It will be a bigger body, but the films will all be past.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing smacks of JJ being egotistical, sorry but that's how I take it. It really reminds me of the person who thought they improved on Tolkein by adding character arcs. Just feels like he's more concerned with adding his stamp to things, than stopping to think what the stories need.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: JJ warns fans Reply with quote

Quote:
The whole thing smacks of JJ being egotistical, sorry but that's how I take it. It really reminds me of the person who thought they improved on Tolkein by adding character arcs. Just feels like he's more concerned with adding his stamp to things, than stopping to think what the stories need.

Can we please save this until we actually see the film? I shared this as warning so we could prepare ourselves and maybe come to terms with it, so the shock of it wouldn't ruin our experience of the film. Whatever it feels like now, it will turn out to be or not be when you see it. And introducing new Force powers in SW sequels is nothing new. I'll bet there were some fans of the first film that objected to the new Force powers in TESB, that it "changed" the Force from their personal concept of it from the first film. I think it is an egotistical point of view that only the classic sequels can introduce new things without criticism. And JJ is quite successful at making stories people will pay for, so he must be doing something right.

Look at aliens. In TESB, the only alien species to reappear from ANH was Wookiees (in the form of Chewbacca). Fan favorite TESB is a fave of the ST filmmakers too. Based on the first and most popular sequel, they use TESB as a guidepost for planning a lot of details and concluded 'Star Wars sequels equal new things'. While he never stopped introducing new aliens, Lucas began reusing aliens in RotJ and I thought that overall, the PT had a good mix of classic and new aliens species. A sore point for me is the lack of classic (and even prequel) aliens in the ST. But I do get that in some ways they were more enamored by the newness of Star Wars sequels growing up. The filmmakers weren't roleplayers who had the classic aliens species as characters in the game like us.

Whill wrote:
I'm finding that I'm feeling really good about the end of Star Wars as we know it. Everyone will vent about the things they didn't like, and then there is no more dread about how Disney will further ruin the Skywalker Saga. It won't be present tense anymore. I think that disgruntled fans will be able to put it behind them. Then we will each decide how much of the Disney films will be in our personal canons, and we will all proceed as we had before: There is a body of SW works with mixed opinions. It will be a bigger body, but the films will all be past.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: The Skywalker Saga Reply with quote

Classic Trilogy Re-Watch

My family completed our 10-film chronological SW re-watch last night with TLJ, which really helps me not get my hopes up too much for TRoS. TFA was a lot better than TLJ, so hopefully JJ being back and this film being the final episode of the Skywalker Saga, I will be blown away by how much better TRoS is than TLJ.

Tomorrow night is TRoS red carpet world premier in Los Angelos. Tomorrow night I will post the one "Spoilers" thread as a place-holder and lock it from replies until Thursday night after I come back from the movie.

So who has tickets for TRoS already? Even if you don't, when do you plan on seeing it?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Skywalker Saga Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So who has tickets for TRoS already? Even if you don't, when do you plan on seeing it?

Pre-ordered my ticket for Dec 20 at the Uptown here in DC waaaay back on Oct 30. I'm very much looking forward to this. (But you should have seen the look on my boss' face when I had to ask for yet another holiday season shift reschedule. That dirty look could have melted steel. Worth it, though, or at least I hope it will be.)
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, living in Europe I technically can't see the Mandalorian (legally), but this situation had to have a bright side to it: the first TRoS screening here is on Thursday 19 at 7 pm, that's 6pm GMT on Dec 19 (or 1 pm ET / 10 am PT for most of you guys), and thanks to my beloved girlfriend I have tickets!
Plus I've managed to not spoil myself up to now so I'll be going with no preconceived ideas or expectations. Couple that with the next Mandalorian chapter release on Dec 18 and it looks like it's going to be a nice week to be a SW fan Very Happy
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I have plans to see it Sunday, though I'm not sure if I'll need to grab tickets ahead of time. Being in rural-ish Pennsylvania usually makes it pretty easy to just walk in. I remember when I saw The Phantom Menace for the first time - I was the only one there!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Being in rural-ish Pennsylvania usually makes it pretty easy to just walk in. I remember when I saw The Phantom Menace for the first time - I was the only one there!

My boy, you are a pilgrim in an unholy land. Shocked
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tickets for my wife (I make her go), daughter, son, and myself. Seeing 11:30 am (taking kids out of school, took day off of work). This has become somewhat of a tradition since The Force Awakens.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
My wife and I have plans to see it Sunday, though I'm not sure if I'll need to grab tickets ahead of time. Being in rural-ish Pennsylvania usually makes it pretty easy to just walk in. I remember when I saw The Phantom Menace for the first time - I was the only one there!

Back in the PT years, before they had moved up the American premieres to 7:00pm of the evening before the release day, in the cities the first showings were midnight showings. I am a night owl but I do not start watching movies after midnight, even at home. I never once went to a midnight premiere and some friends were always disappointed. For all three prequels, I took the day off work and went in the morning with two friends. Those 10:00ish AM showings had plenty of other people, but they were the big auditoriums and not sold out. It was nice. In my experience, it is is unheard of for Star Wars to have empty theaters, even a couple months after release. Even for the relatively low grossing Solo, I saw that five times and the last time I went was a packed house with no seats unfilled (in a smaller auditorium though).

Potroclo wrote:
I've managed to not spoil myself up to now so I'll be going with no preconceived ideas or expectations. Couple that with the next Mandalorian chapter release on Dec 18 and it looks like it's going to be a nice week to be a SW fan Very Happy

There supposedly will be an "exclusive sneak peek" of TRoS in this week's early episode of Mandalorian, so you may want to hold off on watching that if you want to remain utterly unspoiled for TRoS. FYI.

Potroclo wrote:
the first TRoS screening here is on Thursday 19 at 7 pm, that's 6pm GMT on Dec 19 (or 1 pm ET / 10 am PT for most of you guys), and thanks to my beloved girlfriend I have tickets!

That's six hours before our USA ET premiers of 7:00pm. Thursday will be my last day of work for the year, but work permitting I will check on the Pit before I go to the movie. I trust you will not spoil the movie for me.

griff wrote:
I have tickets for my wife (I make her go), daughter, son, and myself. Seeing 11:30 am (taking kids out of school, took day off of work). This has become somewhat of a tradition since The Force Awakens.

I presume you mean 11:30am on Friday, right? That is my son's first day of winter break so he is out of school anyway, but he is going with me on Thursday night. Friday I am off work so my son and I will go check out new Star Wars stuff for sale (soundtrack, books, toys, etc.) since we will have already seen the movie by then.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

There supposedly will be an "exclusive sneak peek" of TRoS in this week's early episode of Mandalorian, so you may want to hold off on watching that if you want to remain utterly unspoiled for TRoS. FYI.

Aaaaw man what a bummer. Thanks for the heads up tho! Very Happy

Whill wrote:
I trust you will not spoil the movie for me.

I won't say a word until you guys all see it, promise!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: