The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Classic Star Wars Ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Classic Star Wars Ship Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utinni
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Classic Star Wars Ship Reply with quote

Hi all,

Great site! I've been using it for a while, this is my first post.

I am slooowwly working on a netbook. The book is in honor of the excellent Star Wars newspaper strips collected in 3 volumes by Dark Horse. I posted this ship on another site but got no feedback. I am hoping to get some here! What do you think of this ship? (None of the ships in the strip, except the Falcon, had a name. The write ups are mine, the pics are from the comic series.)

Name: SV-300 Corellian Corellian Engineering Corporation Scout Ship
Type: SV-300 Scout ship
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 18 m.
Skill: Space Transports: SV-300
Crew: 1
Passengers: 1
Consumables: 1 Year
Cost: 30,000 Used
Cargo Capacity: 45 cubic meters or 112.5 metric tons
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x15
Nav Computer: Yes
Space: 5
Atmosphere: 295; 850 kmh
Maneuverability: 1D
Hull: 3D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 30 / 0D
Scan: 50 / 1D
Search: 75 / 2D
Focus: 5 / 3D

Weapons:
One Laser Cannon
Scale: Starfighter
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 0D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 4D

Description:
The SV-300 is CEC's response to the Sienar Fleet Systems Lone Scout series. The SV-300 is a small scout vessel that can be operated by one or two crew members. It features long, adjustable landing struts for touchdowns on unstable ground. The SV-300 is more maneuverable than a Lone Scout, but has reduced hull protection. One of the main features of the SV-300 is the sensor fin and dish running across the top of the ship. Another interesting feature is the observation bubble above and slightly behind the cockpit. The bubble allows a sensors operator a clearer view of the surrounding area. A few entrepreneurial individuals have attempted to replace the observation bubble with a turret laser. A turret laser placed in this area cannot fire to the rear arc of the ship. The original model has a single laser cannon placed on the nose of the ship for the pilot to control.

Game Notes:
This ship is seen in volume one of Classic Star Wars, entitled In Deadly Pursuit, by Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson. This is a reprint collection by Dark Horse Comics published in 1996. In the story Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia Organa use it to scout for new locations for a main rebel base, after the Death Star was destroyed at Yavin used the ship. The ship is only seen already on the ground on a tropical planet and is quickly destroyed by Stormtroopers. The planet is not named in the story, but turns out to be the location of an Imperial Training Grounds.
[img][/img]
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 passenger for 18 meters of ship? that's almost 60 feet.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I'd probably change the scale to transport - both due to size and the skill you required to operate it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd Ed R&E doesn't have a transport scale. It goes from starfighter to capital.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. That seems strange. I wonder why they removed it? In our campaigns, the transports are the ships most used by player characters.
I don't own 2nd Ed R&E.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right Volar. But never-the-less i would download another sourcebook from our friends here at the Pit. You could use that stuff.
Utinni
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
1 passenger for 18 meters of ship? that's almost 60 feet.

Good point! That is just the sort of input I need. A Lear Jet about that size can handle around 8 passengers, but they just sit around. I figure scouts need plenty more living space for long space trips. Adding another passenger or so would make it a more useful ship gamewise. Thanks!

Yeah, I guess Starfighter and Capital just sounds cooler than Small and Big. I don't remember any d6 books having a transport scale. Did the original version have it?
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but then again, your not going on too many long trips with only 18 meters of ship.

ive modded a ship so much (yt1300) so that the only room was a 1 foot space to walk from the cockpit to the exit, and excape hatch, stored whatever else i needed in the cockpit with me...

so it is possible to have the troops sleep at their workstations, eat at their workstations, providing you with alot better response to something going wrong
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was NEVER a Transports scale. I am only about a year experienced with the system, and even I know that.

Transports scale was a house rule proposed by someone on another board, who thought the Millienium Falcon needed penalties against TIE Fighters because he misunderstood the quadlaser fight scene. The scale is useless, unecesary. Poorly thought of. And it doesn;t take into account the fact that in most cases the Falcon is the one outmanuvering the TIEs.

Starfighter scale is THE scale for an 18 meter ship.

And considering the number of consumables for the number of passengers, this seems to be a long range, deep space scout. It all seems perfect to me.
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just pack any cargo area with food and stuff... >_>, and dont try to carry much else..
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Hmmmm. That seems strange. I wonder why they removed it? In our campaigns, the transports are the ships most used by player characters.
I don't own 2nd Ed R&E.

They didn't remove it, there never really was a transport scale. The scales went for Character -> Speeder -> Walker -> Starfighter -> Capital -> Death Star. That was all that was really needed.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever a 'planetary' scale?
Ars_Fortuna
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planats would be Death Star scale. Remember that is what the Death Star turbolaser was designed to take out. While the Death Star is smaller than planets (and most moons) it also has a reinforced military hull. This helps make up for it's smaller size.

In general, think of moons as being low "hull" Death Star scale, habitable planets as being average to slightly higher than average "hull" and the true giants or quircky composition planets as being high "hull."
He eats a LOT
He's getting big!
He needs a lot of attention
Assigned crewer to pet him
He's attacking the crew
Stop, Fluffy, stop!
I'm going to miss him
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider Moons and Planets to be neigh on industructable unless the plot requires it.
Ars_Fortuna
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good point. I personally don't bother rolling unless it is Death Star Scale weaponry or a sustained bombardment by a fleet of Capital Scale ships. In both cases it only is happening for plot reasons, but both can take a long time to completely destroy a planet. That time can make a big difference to the players, who might be able to stop the attack or prevent the Death Star from recharging it's turbolaser for a final blow.

To put the scale into perspective a planet with a 2D soak still has 14D to resist Capital Scale and 20D to resiste Starfighter scale. You don't hit those kinds of damages without something happening plotwise.
He eats a LOT
He's getting big!
He needs a lot of attention
Assigned crewer to pet him
He's attacking the crew
Stop, Fluffy, stop!
I'm going to miss him
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: