The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Template + Race = Character Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Template + Race = Character Stats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Template + Race = Character Stats Reply with quote

So, as I said on a FB group, I have a a couple ideas:

(Note from admins: No murder)

I have one idea.

So, this is a MAJOR rebuild of the system, somewhat like my life path system, but a bit simpler.

Each template is built on 14D of attributes... usually 2D in everything, plus 2D of customization. Every race is built on 4D of attribute bonuses (no more than 2D in any one attribute), which add to the template bonuses and can exceed 4D (alien max attributes are 4D + Racial bonuses). In addition, every alien has 4D worth of skills, advantages, or special abilities. This is in addition to the 7D of skills that all characters get and can distribute as they like.

The human advantage is that their 4D of Attributes and 4D of skills are completely discretionary. They top out at 4D in any attribute, and no more than +2D in any skill, but they can put them however they like, unlike non-humans.

There's a few problems with this method.

First of all, not all templates are going to work for it, and Force-users will be particular strapped, especially if they're not human. It works BETTER if you have a Force Attribute, instead of the individual Force Skills, but, for example, a Young Jedi can't be made with this method... they don't have enough attribute dice beyond the 12d given to get the standard 6 attributes to 2D. A human can make this up with their 4D discretionary; an alien cannot.

Secondly, and this is a bit conditional, this is a method designed to create pretty balanced characters... all races are built on the same rules, so you have less "best race for the thing". Like, the Verpine. Currently, they're far and away the best Techs, because +2D on all Tech skills means they're the best, and their skills improve at the cheaper rate.

However, this allows for template + race, allowing for a wider variety of characters without having to make or adapt every template to the specifics, so it's a lot faster to create a character.

So, for example, let's say Wookies are +2D Strength, +1D Perception, and +1 to Dexterity, Knowledge, and Mechanical. They're not particularly techy, but they're tough and have good senses and a hunter's instincts. Let's add that to a Padawan Template, which is 2D in the Standard stats, plus 1D in Control and Sense (or 2D in Force). This makes them Dex 2D+1, Know 2D+1, Mech 2D+1, Per 3D, Str 4D, Tech 2D, Force 2D

As a Wookie (I'm just going to do 4D in skills, not delve into special abilities or advantages; quickie example, not a full work up), they get +1D in Bowcaster, Brawling, Sneak, and Climbing/Jumping. Now, they could use their 7D discretionary skill dice to get up to 5D+1 in Bowcaster (2D+1 Dex, 1D racial bonus, 2D discretionary skills), or a 4D+1 Lightsaber (2D+1 Dex, 2D discretionary skills). They're discretionary, they spend them how they like, but no more than 2D above their racial base.

If I change this to a HUMAN Padawan, I have 2D in all attributes, plus 2D in Force... and 4D to put however I like, so long as no attribute goes above 4D. I might decide my Padawan has also learned Alter (1D), and is great at Dexterity (2D), and ok at Perception and Knowledge (+2 and +1, respectively).

I would then distribute my 4D discretionary skills. I might be a Lightsaber prodigy (3D attribute, 2D racial, 2D discretionary, total 7D lightsaber), but that will leave me lacking in other places, and not every encounter can be solved with a lightsaber.

If I change it to a Wookie Pirate, I might see 3D Dex and Mechanical, everything else 2D, with Wookie making it 3D+1 Dex, 2D+1 Know, 3D+1 Mechanical, 3D Perception, 4D Strength, 2D Technical. I can get REALLY GOOD with my Bowcaster at the outset (3D+1 Dex, 1D racial, 2D discretionary, total 6D+1), and I might decide that I do a lot of gunnery instead of piloting and focus there.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so...
Instead of 18D, you get 14D, and then 4D additional based on race?

Further, you get 4D skills/abilities based on race?

I'm not seeing how the young Jedi doesn't work:

You only need 12D to meet the requirements for attributes, and you've got 14 to start with... unless you're saying that none of the 4D can be used for force skills... ?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Okay, so...
Instead of 18D, you get 14D, and then 4D additional based on race?

Further, you get 4D skills/abilities based on race?

Precisely. Plus 7D on skills, to spend however you like. Some of the 4D for race may be in special abilities, though, and story factors may add Disadvantages, which would adjust the amount you have to spend on skills, Advantages, and Special Abilities.

Quote:

I'm not seeing how the young Jedi doesn't work:

You only need 12D to meet the requirements for attributes, and you've got 14 to start with... unless you're saying that none of the 4D can be used for force skills... ?

Because, rules as written, the first 1D in a Force Skill comes from attributes. 12D in the core six leaves 2D for other attributes, which means they can pick two from Control, Sense, and Alter... not all three, as the Young Jedi currently has. If they're human, it's not problem; their 4D racial attribute dice can be spent as they like. But you cannot make a Wookie Young Jedi that has all three force skills, RAW.

If you use the Force Attribute, this problem goes away; the Young Jedi can have 2D in everything, including Force, then layer their racial options on top of that.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be simpler to just use generic character stats with either 12D, 15D or 18D in the standard attributes, then apply D&D-style modifiers on top of them?

For example, a Wookiee species template would look something like so:
    Modifiers:
      +2D to Strength
    Story Factors:
      Communication Wookiees are unable to vocalize many languages, and have difficulty making themselves understood (-2D to all character interactions).
      Enslaved: During the time of the Empire, the Wookiee homeworld has been occupied and the population enslaved. As such, Wookiees are rare sights in the larger galaxy, and will often attract the attention of law enforcement simply by their presence.
So the result is a PC with 20D of starting Attributes, but some serious deficiencies that affect the character's usefulness in other areas.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Wouldn't it be simpler to just use generic character stats with either 12D, 15D or 18D in the standard attributes, then apply D&D-style modifiers on top of them?

That would work well, yes. My general goal was to keep everyone about the level of starting characters (and, as always, make humans a mechanically attractive choice). It also eliminates some of the racial templates from consideration... the Wookiee Co-pilot could just be Co-pilot plus wookiee, whereas "Add race to existing template" might result in stacking.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... If I wanted to play the Wookiee template, but as a human... how would that work? Razz Laughing
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
So... If I wanted to play the Wookiee template, but as a human... how would that work? Razz Laughing

Laughing

Like I said, this requires a massive rewrite; you pretty much have to design all new templates, and all new races, to make this particular idea work.
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is interesting.

I took a slightly different approach;

Professional Templates
My templates don't have races, only selections of skills to pick from.
They are Smuggler, Young Senatorial, etc.

They have the background, stats, force and other typical template contents blank. Just skills, and one free background option based on the profession/archetype.

Species
Everyone gets the same dice to spend. No race has modifiers.
This id done because of the incredible diversity of any given species - humans for example range from 2ft to 8ft.

Races DO have different maximums - so wookies, have a higher upper end on strength. there are no minimums to keep it simple.

Races DO have built in background options giving them specific bonuses or penalties on things, balanced out to zero net effect - to represent racial and story factors. (I use background options from mythic D6 - check them out, they are the most simple yet useful I have ever seen.

Char Creation
All characters have 18D to spend on Attributes
(force skills and powers are slightly different too - but beyond the scope of this as it is about race and templates).

This makes things much simpler for my group - and enables players to pick races based upon story or RP elements, not looking for stat bonuses or other modifiers.

Results
In our new campaign - we have the a diverse group of species - all picked for fun flavor - and no issues or limits on templates.

There is no min/maxing or "what species is best in combat" or anything like that.
You think the rodians look cool - play that. You like blue, play a chiss. etc.

This system works for my group - other groups obviously may desire something different.
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, maybe this will help in some future template design:

Star Wars Saga Edition Backgrounds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: