The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I am actually interested in completely different genres of Star Wars. Romantic comedy. *snip*

With Rey's lineage being revealed, I'm pushing hard for the graphic novel, "Palpatine in Love."
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
With Rey's lineage being revealed, I'm pushing hard for the graphic novel, "Palpatine in Love."

Laughing

The TRoS novelization explicitly indicates that Rey's father is a failed, non-Force-sensitive clone of Palpatine who left Exegol and met Rey's mother. So no Palpatine in love, but maybe "Palpatine's Clone in Love."
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

The TRoS novelization explicitly indicates that Rey's father is a failed, non-Force-sensitive clone of Palpatine who left Exegol and met Rey's mother. So no Palpatine in love, but maybe "Palpatine's Clone in Love."

Yeah, maybe. Especially because a Star Wars remake of "Meet the Parents" would be more horror/suspense than romcom.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Star Wars films delayed Reply with quote

I keep forgetting to post SW news updates that I come across during my day.

Disney delays 'Star Wars' and 'Avatar' films

The pandemic has delayed preproduction of both the next three Star Wars films and the next three Avatar films, so Disney has officially pushed the schedule back one year. So currently, the plan for the next SW film is now scheduled for December 2023 instead of 2022. But of course there still aren't any details of if this will be an anthology film or part of a new series, or who will make it. The possible makers are above this in the thread.

In light of the DT, the pandemic killing the cinema industry (and me no longer wanting to go to the theater), and no concrete details of where the franchise will go from here cinematically, at this point I find that I hardly care if there even are anymore SW films.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, it really can't hurt to have Star Wars cinematic experience lie fallow for just a little while, COVID or no.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I mean, it really can't hurt to have Star Wars cinematic experience lie fallow for just a little while, COVID or no.

Absolutely. IMO the longer, the better. This isn't like the PT where fans had 16 years to imagine what happened before ANH and an EU to be contradicted by new films. The plot of new films will be separated from existing stories, so expectations won't be such the factor that the PT was for a large minority of CT fans. Now it's four years instead of three. No biggie. It should be better for the franchise as a whole.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cheshire wrote:

Absolutely. IMO the longer, the better. This isn't like the PT where fans had 16 years to imagine what happened before ANH and an EU to be contradicted by new films. The plot of new films will be separated from existing stories, so expectations won't be such the factor that the PT was for a large minority of CT fans. Now it's four years instead of three. No biggie. It should be better for the franchise as a whole.

Especially if things like the Mandalorian keep coming out and remain popular. The ST squandered a lot of cultural capital, and I think the Mandalorian actually rebuilt some of it for Star Wars, but a bit of time to reset towards zero will be helpful.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Especially if things like the Mandalorian keep coming out and remain popular. The ST squandered a lot of cultural capital, and I think the Mandalorian actually rebuilt some of it for Star Wars, but a bit of time to reset towards zero will be helpful.

Except that the Mandalorian Season 2 is supposed to deal with the rise of the First Order and Palpatine's return, so the ST is not being left behind. It will also have Anakin's cartoon padawan and the return of Boba Fett. Hardly a reset. (This is revealed future info unrelated to the plot of Mandalorian Season 1 so not Season 1 spoilers, which should be discussed here.)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Except that the Mandalorian Season 2 is supposed to deal with the rise of the First Order and Palpatine's return, so the ST is not being left behind. It will also have Anakin's cartoon padawan and the return of Boba Fett. Hardly a reset. (This is revealed future info unrelated to the plot of Mandalorian Season 1 so not Season 1 spoilers, which should be discussed here.)

Not how I was using reset; I was more talking about the balance of cultural capital. Over time, anger about the ST will fade in public consciousness, and what will remain is goodwill towards other aspects of Star Wars as a franchise. I mean, it's been 20 years, and folks are starting to talk about the good aspects of the PT, and getting more into what was wrong with it without the rancor (no pun intended*).

In time, the ST will get the same treatment... you'll still have people b**** about the porgs, just like they still b**** about the Ewoks. There will still be people who are ardent haters of one or more ST movies. But the general cultural position of Star Wars will rise as people stop feeling the immediacy of hate for the ST. If the associated material is good... if people like Mandalorian seasons 2-25 like they did the first season... then that recovery will be faster.

People, in general, have really short attention spans. We, as people who are still playing a Star Wars game 25 years after they stopped printing it, are outliers when it comes to awareness of Star Wars. Folks around here will still be b**** about things related to the ST when we upgrade the forum software in 25 years. It's the nature of fandom; we have strong opinions about it, and keep talking about it, so we'll nurture those strong opinions.

But to the general public? Star Wars will be what comes after. They'll have some fond memories of some of the movies. There will be discussions about which ones were good (Wrath of Khan), which ones were bad (Search for Spock), and which ones were a bit quirky (Voyage Home). Folks will talk about Clone Wars and most will overlook its flaws in favor of what they liked about it. There will be rewatches where folks talk about cringe elements. Because Star Wars, like most franchises, lives in what comes after. I mean, they're still making Terminator movies, and they're still selling... because Arnold Schwarzenegger made them part of the culture, and a lot of folks aren't going to question it much beyond that.

Star Wars is what comes after. The problems of the movies will fade in most people's minds, and Star Wars will go on.

*Ok, maybe a little.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the below post and replied here because it is more general to the future of Star Wars then the wishful thinking DT related discussion.

Yora wrote:
Right now, Disney and Lucasfilm are in no condition to produce any Star Wars in any format. Since the last movie, things have been announced and then canceled or quietly disappeared off the screen seemingly every month. Disney is in financial meltdown and Lucasfilm seems to be undergoing a major internal crisis with no clarity who will be in charge of what a few months from now.
Aside from the Mandalorian and Clone Wars, I expect any plans to be swept off the table and a completely new plan for the future being build on a blank slate next year.

Don't believe the hype of those tabloid style "internal Lucasfilm in chaos crisis" rumors. A brief investigation is usually enough to determine that they are biased journalism using hate-mongering rhetoric with unsubstantiated sources, and they are eventually proven as untrue. I've seen it many times in the Disney era (several have been discussed here if you want to read up on old threads).

Last year Kennedy's original Lucas contract was up, and Disney elected to renew her contract for two more years. So there is no question who is currently in charge of Lucasfilm and the SW franchise: Kennedy is firmly in charge until next year sometime. I think she will not want to continue beyond that regardless of Disney's wishes. As far who will take over when she leaves, that may not be certain yet, but they have more than "a few months" to establish that.

Even before the pandemic, a major problem Disney has had with Star Wars is getting good people to make Star Wars films, especially at the pace they originally wanted to release them but even now with a slowed down schedule. They couldn't get one person to make the entire DT, so they had to piecemeal it out with the promise of maximum individual creative freedom over each director's episode in the big chain story. (Abrams did not plan on concluding the "trilogy" when he started it, and it shows.) The Game of Thrones guys backed out of their "series" before the deal was finalized because of landing a big long term contract elsewhere.

The rest of the projects on the back burner don't have a lot of public concrete details, but there is no indication that they are wildly shifting. Rian Johnson is still slated to make a trilogy. Kevin Feige is producing a movie. Taika Waititi is directing a movie. The ObiWan D+ series scripts are getting some rewrites but still in the works. The Cassian Andor series is still in the works. TCW is done now so I presume by that you meant TCW sequel series set in the early Empire, The Bad Batch. Other things are rumored. Fans were not entitled to firm schedules and concrete details before the pandemic, so all this doesn't mean that there is an "internal crisis" of any kind. Could any of these projects in development end up falling through? Sure. Always in motion is the future.

The CT concluded in 1983. In the late 80s the PT was only a maybe with Lucas implying probably not. In the early 90s it changed to maybe but hopeful. The PT wasn't formally announced as in development until 1994 with a projected release of Episode I in 1997. It wasn't filmed until then so came out two years later so it was 16 years between trilogies and it took six years to complete the release of a trilogy both times. That's a grand total of 28 years from the first to the sixth film. Star Wars fans were patient back then. Now with five SW movies released in four years in this modern day an age of instant information and online fandoms, detractors of the modern films easily fall for negative press about crises because it better conforms to their worldview which tries to make sense of this new paradigm for SW.

I think the truth is much simpler. Kennedy was and is firmly in charge of Star Wars (until her contract runs out), but she just wasn't up to the challenge of making quality Star Wars films in the timeline that Disney wanted to reach and surpass the break-even point on their Lucasfilm investment (which they already have). Maybe no one would have been. It was too greedy. For RO they had to bring in the screenplay writer to direct reshoots to retool the film. The DT was an utter disaster in execution, culminating with the firing of Episode IX's original writer/director to start over fresh. Kennedy's hiring of the Lego Movie guys to direct Solo was a horrible business decision that was only remedied by expensively remaking a lot of the movie with a good director. Kennedy admitted that Solo keeping a May release (only five months after TLJ) when the other films got delayed until December was an intentional plan of hers and Bob Iger's to test the market on transitioning Star Wars to a Marvel Studios plan with multiple films per year. They acknowledge the test failed, and before the pandemic they wisely decided to give us a break and slow Star Wars down. IMO they simply oversaturated the market with rushed Star Wars.

But you can't argue with the results, at least the results that matter most to Disney: profits. All the films made a lot of money (well, Solo probably only made a little). So the perception a minority of fans have about these artistic mishaps makes too many of those fans susceptible to believing in Lucasfilm leadership crises.

Disney is undoubtedly suffering a huge financial loss from the pandemic, but not so much from Star Wars. Disney will likely downsize its operations to survive, but it isn't going anywhere any time soon. The future of the entire Star Wars franchise is more uncertain to fans with the pandemic, but Star Wars also isn't going anywhere. Sadly Disney is just not motivated that much to make better products because the market has shown that most fans will accept anything put in front of them.

I don't wish for this but personally, if Disney would go bankrupt tomorrow and all future Star Wars could be cancelled, I would not care that much. We still have what we already have, which is more than enough to create new stories through roleplaying for the rest of my life.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well. If you're going to open this can of worm for us, I am happy to join in on poking it. Wink

I also feel like I am not really having a dog in this race. As I see it, the only worthwhile Star Wars releases after 2003 are Revenge of the Sith and the KotOR comics. (Still on the fence about The Mandalorian.) I don't expect any return to old form, so whatever is being released or not released now doesn't really make any difference to me.

But I have been following what's going on with the overall American entertainment industry for a few years and Star Wars is simply standing out as one particularly prominent case of chaos, cluelessness, and collective self delusion on all sides.

There absolutely and undeniably are haters who deliberately sabotage things with spreading lies and stoking resentment. Because there always are. And certainly they are naysayers who should just be ignored and left to stew in their own petulant anger. But we have a saying of "even a blind chicken sometimes finds a grain". Just because an argument is being made my a terrible person who has malicious intent doesn't automatically mean that the argument is wrong.
But that's how it's very often spun. 10 people say Rey is a terribly written character. One of these ten people makes it clear he doesn't like female protagonist to begin with. That invalidates his claim that Rey is a terribly written character, but does not actually affect the arguments of the other nine people. But in many places the conclusion is "all people who say Rey is a terribly written character do so because they hate women. We should all ignore their opinions and all the arguments they make, I have my fingers in my ears, lalala I can't hear you."
People say it's unfair to lump the other 9 people into the same box, and then the claim is that they defend the women-haters because they are also women-haters. And by that point any form of objectivity and discourse is out of the window. And now you also have people who automatically always assume the worst and blow every small thing out of proportion, making it sound like a huge scandal or disaster that nobody will remember in two days.
I really don't approve of quite a number of people who are presenting information on these subject from a perspective of company leaderships and producers having no idea what they are doing. There are plenty of people whose way of presentation and biases that seem to shine through I find quite objectionable. Of course I am not counting, but I think an estimate that I find about one third trustworthy, feel uncertain about one third, and one third being malicious agitators seems to feel right.

Established entertainment journalists overwhelmingly take the side of the content producing companies, because they still want to be invited to previews and press events. Report that the companies have problems and that their output was no good, and you're not getting invited again, which means you won't be among the first people who will be reporting on news anymore. It's not just Disney, it's not just the movie industry. It's the entire entertainment industry. Video games have it just as badly, if not even worse.

I think in the end, you have to live by the words of Ronald Reagan: "Trust, but verify." It's not enough to simply decide on what people you want to believe when they are making claims of what's going on behind the scenes. You also have to look back six or twelve months later and compare what they claimed to have a scoop on, and what actually happened later. You have to follow the various people for some time and see what their actual track record is on how well their predictions turn out to be true.

I believe (an assumption based on my own awareness) that currently the main source about leaks regarding Star Wars is Doomcock. He doesn't use his real name and hides his face with a silly mask, and he doesn't reveal his sources, which of course put the initial amount of trust in his credibility that you should give him pretty low. When you hear about him for the first time, there really is no good reason to trust him at all. An anonymous guy on the internet who claims he has a "source" who told him that he has spoken with an "insider" at Lucasfilm who overheard things being said in meetings. Anyone could claim that and pull stuff straight out of his butt.
And some of his claims seemed outrageous. Clickbait to stir up an angry mob to bully innocent employees. There was supposedly a leaked script for Rise of Skywalker. "Rey is the grandchild of the Emperor, who returned out of nowhere as a clone? Ridiculous!" That's actually what happened. "They were still doing reshots in October? Don't be stupid!" They actually did reshots in November. "They shoehorned in the cloned Emperor while filming already started? Nonsense, that was always the plan, as people at Lucasfilm say it was." We now know that Matt Smith was cast as the main villain and had already shot his scenes when that character was completely cut from the movie."
Yes, many of the rumors and claimed leaks about current developments at Lucasfilm sound much too stupid to see true. But most of them turned out to be right, as unbelievable as it is.

I don't think anyone should just take my word for it. I'm just some anonymous guy on the internet. I don't have anything to back any of my claims up. I even might have been fooled by a web of lies and been tricked to repeat and spread that nonsense. I can't rule that out.
But if this is an issue that people are interested and invested in, I very much recommend to try keeping track of rumors and leaks and official denials and announcements and then later comparing to who turned out to be right. People who have been right in the past are more likely to be right in the future. People who have been wrong in the past are more likely to be wrong in the future. That should determine on whose claims you assign more significance to.
Though in the end, it really doesn't actually matter. What we are thinking sitting at home won't lead to any consequences. The only thing that matters is if we think "I liked this movie, I am going to see the next one too" or not.

Now to the financial aspects brought up by Whill.

Lucasfilm Ltd. is a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Corporation. They are kind of a separate entity, but in the end all the employees of Lucasfilm are working for, getting paid by, and have to follow orders from the shareholders who own the Disney stocks. Unlike many other corporations, Disney does not really have any majority shareholders, with the biggest share being only 7%, and the top 10 shareholders together controlling only 32% of the shares. So it's really not one or even five people who call the shots, but a big blob of thousands of people. And all that these people agree about is stock price and dividend payments going up. There is no passion for art or entertainment that is going into their decisions. They all elect a board of directors (who I believe are getting generous compensations for their work) and if the directors want to keep that position they need to do their best to give orders to the management employees that the blob of shareholders collectively agrees on. They also can't make their decisions based on artistic merit or entertainment values. They have to base it on what makes a profit and increases stock prices and dividend payments.
As I understand it, Lucasfilm would have its own bank accounts, which its management uses to conduct its business. But the Disney directors could at any time decide to take money out of those accounts and give them to other subsidiaries, or give them more money that they got from elsewhere. Which in practice means that Lucasfilm still works on a budget.

Now Star Wars is very famously not just a series of movies, but a giant juggernaut of associated entertainment products and toys. As massively successful the first movie and The Force Awakens were with audiences, in the long run their significance is primarily as a commercial for all these other products.
If a regular movie breaks even and makes back it's production and marketing budget, that's a good start. But it's not actually great. You would want to invest 500 million and get back 800 million. If you invest 500 million and only get back 500 million, the whole movie was a waste of time, during which you could have made a different movie that makes a bigger profit. And in economics "profit not made" is basically regareded as a loss.
I've seen several people estimate that Solo should have broken even, not resulting in any loss, but its profit would likely be marginal. Stock owners won't be happy with that. No profit means that none of that profit can go into dividend payments. And when other people see that movies make no profit, then they won't be much interested in buying Disney stocks, which makes the stock price drop. So movies breaking even is not acceptable.
The Rise of Skywalker made a lot more money, but it also was a lot more expensive. The estimates that I've seen also assume that it probably made either a very small profit or a small loss. (Official production costs for all movies are always assumed to be too low and marketing costs have to be added to calculate profits.)
If investors think that the movies make no profit then they are wondering why they are allocating money to Lucasfilm to make these movies in the first place? Instead they could use the money to have someone else produce something that does make a profit.
But wait, Star Movies are also toy commercials that still can make it all worth it. Except that it doesn't. Disney Star Wars toys don't sell. I'm not an insider myself, but I've seen plenty of claims that supposedly come from people in retail who say the goods are sitting like lead on the shelves even when put on sale, and getting destroyed because the storage costs are not worth it.

Going from toys to videogames, EA has failed to use its license to make Star Wars game since basically forever. They are completely wasting it and many people are really puzzled why Disney hasn't done anything to get the license back to give to someone else. Because Disney also only gets a share of the sales when there are sales.
There have been a few new games in recent years. But look at Battlefront 3 and 4, Jedi Fallen Order, and now Squadrons. They are not set in the Disney Movies timeline. Instead they are referencing the Galactic Empire and the Clone Wars. Because EA also thinks that that's where the money is to be made.

There could be hope for Disney Star Wars if stockholders think "we need to see this as an investment that will pay back in the long run, even if it doesn't know". But they can't. Disney can not afford to give money away that will return a profit in some years. Disney's main sources of income are cruise ships, theme parks, hotels next to theme parks, and movie tickets. In roughly that order. None of these are bringing in any money this year. But even when not in operation, they still generate massive costs every day. Disney is super broke. They wasted all their cash reserves in the past years, like buying Lucasfilm for 4 billion dollars, and buying Fox for 71 billion dollars, and now they are surviving entirely on massive bank loans. Which is debt. Disney can't be generous and give Lucasfilm freedom to try out various experiments to see what will be profitable or not.
Currently it's wait and see and hope the credit line will get extended until business can resume. But then massive overhauls will be necessary and nothing will be safe from cuts or getting sold off.

Whill said that Star Wars has become profitable for Disney and made back its initial investment. Are there any sources for this? After having covered the production and marketing costs of all the movies and show, and including the profits from toy sales, is the total surplus actually bigger than the 4 billion they paid to buy Lucasfilm and all the Star Wars rights? Because until that money has been made back, any surplus made from the money still won't be an actual profit.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yora, that's a lot to unpack. I'll respond to some of it. Maybe others will reply to more.

I started seeing "reports" of Disney recouping their investment in buying Lucasfilm in 2018 after TLJ's theatrical run. I don't think there has been any official declaration from Disney and doubt there ever will be. Sometimes you see financial analysts being quoted. Like you first said in the box office thread, definite production and marketing costs are not always publicly available for all films, so we are dealing with estimates. I don't think it happened in 2018. But I do think the break-even point for the original investment alone happened before the pandemic. (I agree that breaking even is not good enough.) Star Wars alone has literally dozens of revenue streams. Yes, some make more money than others. Disney dumped a lot of money into original content for Disney+ (some of which is Star Wars) and they said that they estimated they would not break-even for several years. The pandemic has help subscription rates but they are still far from breaking even on that investment.

A major source of revenue streams with various results is licensing. Yes, I do think that Disney has been stuck with some license contracts but Disney was aggressive at getting new ones. I thought Star Wars was really commercialized back in 1999 when I saw Star Wars bars of soap and a lot of new products I never would have imagined with the SW logo on them, but Disney has gone way above and beyond what Lucas had done with the franchise. I think there was even a Nissan tie-in with Rogue One. A lot of these licensing deals are just the licensee paying a lump sum up front for a set time period of exclusiveness. Those deals do not involve any expense from Disney. The licensee is responsible for most or all marketing of their licensed products and all responsibility to profit and risk of loss is all on the licensee.

However, whether Disney has recouped its Lucasfilm investment or not is not really in the big picture for Disney. $4 billion is chump change. Disney just paid $71.3 billion for 20th Century Fox last year, and they definitely have not broke even on that. Disney is hurting bad and bleeding money from the amusement parks alone. I still think that in some form, Disney and Star Wars will be around for a while. Maybe I'm wrong. It won't be the end of the world.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, as much as I try to stay positive and not to be all gloom and doom, and I think there is a good chance that the movie theater industry will not survive the pandemic. Without theatrical releases, the only hope of big budget films having a future is going to be direct internet rentals as first release. Disney is experimenting with a form of that for its live action Mulan film which was supposed to come out in the theater earlier this year. They have decided to replace the theater release with debuting it on Disney+ as a subscriber-only streaming rights purchase. So subscribers can pay a one-time fee of $30 and that gives you permanent streaming rights as long as your subscription is active. Eventually, it will be available for traditional rental and purchase (disc and digitally), and someday, it will be free on Disney+. My family isn't interested in spending money on it, but a family with a couple kids spending $30 and popping their own popcorn at home is still spending as much or even less than a single trip to the movie theater, and they can watch it repeatedly if they want. If business models like this are successful, then maybe home rental could replace movie theaters and the blockbuster business can survive. If not, then the centerpieces of the Star Wars franchise of the future may become TV shows and lower budget films.

Quote:
Star Movies are also toy commercials that still can make it all worth it. Except that it doesn't. Disney Star Wars toys don't sell. I'm not an insider myself, but I've seen plenty of claims that supposedly come from people in retail who say the goods are sitting like lead on the shelves even when put on sale, and getting destroyed because the storage costs are not worth it.

As a toy buyer I can definitely say that it is not true that toys don't sell, at least in my city. I see new waves of figures fly off the shelves so fast the stores are definitely not destroying them to make room for more figures. If they didn't sell at all they wouldn't keep making new ones. Maybe you mean that they don't turn a big profit, and I can see that as being true. All the unsold Snoke action figures I see left on the shelves of my local stores must cut into the profits for all the Luke, Han, Vader, Leia, Jyn Erso, and Rey action figures they do sell.

Quote:
There have been a few new games in recent years. But look at Battlefront 3 and 4, Jedi Fallen Order, and now Squadrons. They are not set in the Disney Movies timeline. Instead they are referencing the Galactic Empire and the Clone Wars.

The "Disney Movies timeline" (otherwise known as the canon timeline) covers a timeframe of about 2,000 years before TPM to 30-some years after RotJ AFAIK. I think you mean the new canon post-RotJ timeline, all Disney film continuity, or specifically the time frame of the so-called "Sequel Trilogy" (which I call the Disney Trio or DT). We have the modern Battlefront games, and they do have some material from Disney films. The original release of the 2015 game did have a focus on the CT, but it did have Jakku as a setting and specifically the Battle of Jakku where the Empire was defeated (taking place one year after RotJ), but no DT characters (AFAIK, and my son is not available to confirm right now). It added Scarif, Jyn Erson and Director Krennick from Rogue One in 2016. It never had any prequel stuff. I've played the 2017 game more, and the content is about equal between the three trilogy eras. It has several DT planets, ships, and characters, such as Rey, Kylo Ren, Finn, Captain Phasma, FO stormtroopers, Resistance fighters, playable aliens based on minor film characters, BB-8, and the 'evil BB-8' that briefly appeared in TLJ (BB-9, maybe?). It also has Kessel as a level from Solo, and appearances for Han, Lando and Chewie based on Solo. And from RO I think it only started Death Troopers until an expansion in April that added a Scarif level, Jyn Erso and Krennik. My son watches YouTube videos from gamers of these games and there definitely was a demand for all era material, but I'm sure no fan ever got everything they wanted from any era they care about.

Quote:
...I think in the end, you have to live by the words of Ronald Reagan: "Trust, but verify." It's not enough to simply decide on what people you want to believe when they are making claims of what's going on behind the scenes. You also have to look back six or twelve months later and compare what they claimed to have a scoop on, and what actually happened later. You have to follow the various people for some time and see what their actual track record is on how well their predictions turn out to be true...

I've done that for some of the occasional clickbaits shared here (I have a massive collection of bookmarks). The verity of things communicated as facts later panned out to be false. And there is a difference in news and speculation. Yes, speculators eventually turn out to be correct or incorrect. I have nothing against speculation shared as speculation, but my experience is that most negative press I come across about Disney is not labeled as speculation. I'm not really interested in following speculators to see if they are right or not. And although I've done it on occasion, I'm also not interested in following bashers with claims of supposed facts based on secret inside sources to verify if they are later correct.

After the reveal of Palpatine being in Episode IX, Kennedy said that he was always coming back. We know that was pure and utter poodu. That doesn't mean anything they say is false, or that all unconfirmed negative fan beliefs are really true but kept hidden. A clickbait was once shared here with a story that there was a Disney executive meeting to discuss Kennedy's horrible handling of the SW franchise, with Marvel Studio executives on conferenced call. There were exact quotes like the secret source was hiding under the conference table or behind a plant and no one saw them. Silly stuff. A few months later the facts came out that Kennedy's original contract was up. Disney was well within their rights to let her go, and they instead chose to offer her a two-year extension. Obviously, they not looking for a way to fire her if they decided to keep her for two more years. Some fans have a very negative opinion of her, so they eat up stories like that because they want to believe she was going to be fired to validate their own views of her and Disney Wars. I can relate a little because I find myself wishing that higher powers would intervene in other things I am not happy about and powerless over in the world. But I reserve that for more important things than Star Wars. If someone wishes to believe crazy stuff like internal chaos over control of Lucasfilm (a long recurring fan bash with no actual evidence) I can't stop you, but I think the fact that they had a legal way to get rid of Kennedy with no muss no fuss, and they instead chose to keep her for two more years is proof that she is in firmly in charge of Star Wars without contest, until her contract is up. Her extension may have been just so they could have time to transition a replacement. She's got more than a few months left.

And for speculation or unconfirmed news, it is not like track record is the only thing that matters anyway. I don't want this forum to be filled with links or references to outside bashers. Have your own negative opinions and share your own speculation. I've been burnt out on internet fan wars where people think that subjective appreciation of things needs popular approval or citations. General fan opinions don't need justified. I do not overall approve of Kennedy's handling of the franchise (especially the DT), but I can say that without inventing or sharing clickbait 'leadership chaos' theories. I can say that RO was good regardless (but maybe the original cut would have been good too), and at least for Solo, Kennedy was clearly good enough to fix her original error when it was pointed out to her and make a good movie. Solo's gross or profit level doesn't really matter to me because the movie got made and I own it and I can enjoy it. It doesn't matter that other people hate it. It doesn't matter to me that other people love the DT, except for the fact that I am truly happy for them and a little jealous. I despise the mentality that some fans have where they feel they have to convince others their reaction is the correct one. I see it done a lot with the sharing of clickbait links to unsubstantiated negative news.

Quote:
But we have a saying of "even a blind chicken sometimes finds a grain". Just because an argument is being made my a terrible person who has malicious intent doesn't automatically mean that the argument is wrong.
But that's how it's very often spun. 10 people say Rey is a terribly written character. One of these ten people makes it clear he doesn't like female protagonist to begin with. That invalidates his claim that Rey is a terribly written character, but does not actually affect the arguments of the other nine people. But in many places the conclusion is "all people who say Rey is a terribly written character do so because they hate women. We should all ignore their opinions and all the arguments they make, I have my fingers in my ears, lalala I can't hear you."
People say it's unfair to lump the other 9 people into the same box, and then the claim is that they defend the women-haters because they are also women-haters. And by that point any form of objectivity and discourse is out of the window.

Caution about mentioning this. I get that you are in support of not generalizing all criticism of Rey as motivated by misogyny, but there is no need to even go into that here. There is a forum guideline to not discuss political agendas within Star Wars films here. There is just no good that can come out of it. There may be places where that kind of discussion is appropriate, but this forum is not one of them. I'm not saying you did, but this is a can of worms we need to just keep the worms in the can, please.

If you have criticisms of Rey that do not refer in any way to her gender, feminism, misogyny, or political agendas, you can post them in an appropriate thread. If anyone says you just think that way because you are a misogynist, I will step in. Just please avoid excessive negativity.

There is no objectivity about that anyway, so please do not proceed down the path of you are just trying to have objective discourse. Some people have no problem with Rey's character. They like what they like, and they are not wrong to do so. It's all subjective. Personally I like Rey's character, or at least her potential, but just not the stories they wrote for her. And I think Rey's character is far from the worst problems of the DT. I'm not wrong, and people who love or hate Rey are also not wrong.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Yora
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. That was merely the first example that poped into my mind to illustrate the wider issue. Which is large numbers of people engaged in the whole conversation shutting themselves off and insisting that the world is how they imagine it, refusing to engage in discourse and looking for evidence to test their assumptions.

The end result is that you constantly have wild claims thrown arround with no basis in reality and still plenty of people promoting them. And that makes finding any information that seems trustworthy very difficult.

Ultimately I think that the entire entertainment industry is undergoing major overhauls this year and continuing in the following years. And nobody has any clue how production and distribution will look like on the other side. That's why we see an unending stream of announcements, cancelations, and projects quietly disappearing as if they never existed. Investors want to have assurances that something is being done that will start to make profits again once things are settling into a new system, so companies try to keep up appearances that they will have great products ready for the market soon. But they don't know either what they actually have to work with and what the market will demand, resulting in lots of desperate wild shots in the dark. Right now the real priority is job security.

Iridium Moons Retro-futuristic Space Opera
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Rogue Squadron Reply with quote

Star Wars Rogue Squadron film announced!

Rogue Squadron will be directed by Patty Jenkins of Wonder Woman fame. Her father was a fighter pilot who lost his life in service to America. She wants to make the best fighter pilot movie ever. I'm actually excited about Star Wars movies again.

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/1337177394625478656
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rogue Squadron Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Star Wars Rogue Squadron film announced!

Rogue Squadron will be directed by Patty Jenkins of Wonder Woman fame. Her father was a fighter pilot who lost his life in service to America. She wants to make the best fighter pilot movie ever. I'm actually excited about Star Wars movies again.

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/1337177394625478656

Ooooh, Patty Jenkins. That's got me interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: