The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series Reply with quote

This is a news/speculation thread for any and all future Star Wars films and series that do not have their own thread yet. When individual films/series get a first trailer or significant update, a new thread will be created for that.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/07/new-mutants-ad-astra-fox-films-release-dates/

Here is a new release schedule for select Disney films (Lucasfilm, Marvel, Fox, etc.):
Quote:
Dark Phoenix: June 7, 2019
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Dec. 20, 2019
The New Mutants: April 3, 2020
Untitled Disney Marvel: May 1, 2020
Untitled Disney Marvel movie: Nov. 16, 2020
Untitled Disney Marvel movie: Feb. 12, 2021
Untitled Marvel movie: May 7, 2021
Untitled Indiana Jones: July 9, 2021
Untitled Disney Marvel movie: Nov. 5, 2021
Untitled Disney Marvel movie: Feb. 18, 2022
Untitled Disney Marvel movie: May 6, 2022
Untitled Disney Marvel movie: July 29, 2022
Untitled Star Wars movie: Dec. 16, 2022
Untitled Star Wars movie: Dec. 20, 2024
Untitled Star Wars movie: Dec. 18, 2026

The good news is, the next Star Wars trilogy films will be two years apart, which I think is the best possible happy medium between the OG 3 years and the recent every year. More good news is, we get a three year respite from Star Wars between the current trilogy and the next.

The bad news is, it looks like December Star Wars films are here to stay and we will probably never see another Star Wars film in May. Furthermore, it looks like anthology films are off the table now, so no Kenobi film. I guess there is still hope for a TV mini-series on Disney +.

Thoughts?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun May 29, 2022 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I was never hugely excited about a Kenobi anthology film. Of the two thus far (Rogue One and Solo), I much preferred Rogue One. Part of the reason why is because it introduced us to new characters whose story arcs were new and unknown. Not so much with Kenobi; his arc has already been told. Where exactly would a new story fit in?

I was somewhat more excited about the possibility of a Boba Fett anthology film, with him finally getting to show that he could do more than just stand around in a somewhat menacing pose, but I think the Mandalorian has a lot more potential for storytelling. Maybe with a Fett cameo (does anyone know if Disney $h!t-canned Fett escaping from the Sarlacc?)

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts:

It's quite possible that I won't be seeing every SW movie in the theater going forward. Two years is enough time for my enthusiasm to fade without my deprivation growing into any sort of real hankering to see more.

There was a time I'd have thought this was crazy talk. But now that there's Alien, Predator, and Terminator movies I've never even seen at all, this is entirely likely.

I'm not invested in the new characters and I am deeply saddened by the choice to waste our last chance to have a good trilogy about Luke & Co. in order to introduce those characters. So I'll potentially wait for home video. Though by then my kids will be old enough to want to go see them, so who knows.

Lack of standalone films is probably a good thing from my perspective. I don't want any films about established character's pasts, too much mystique has been lost already. R1 worked for me, Solo didn't, I really don't want a Lando or Kenobi movie. I wouldn't mind more generic war movies set in the SW universe though. Special effects have hit the point where we could have a movie all about combat between fleets of capital ships, that might be a cool thing to explore.

Edit: Actually that's not true. I'd like a Lando movie, set after ROTJ, starring Billy Dee Williams. That could work as a spy movie essentially.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Not so much with Kenobi; his arc has already been told. Where exactly would a new story fit in?

Yes, it is true that a Kenobi movie would only work if they invent something new about Kenobi's character that could seem previously unknown but still fits in the existing metaplot. If they could do that, then it should be fairly easy to frame an exciting story around it. I mean, I can't believe that Kenobi did absolutely nothing interesting in his 20 years in the desert of Tatooine. Even if it was mostly boring waiting and watching, some $h!t had to crop up every now and then. After all the planet is the base of operations of the most powerful crime lord in the galaxy. To put the Stars in the Wars all they would have to do is something like having little Luke get kidnapped and enslaved by pirates to give Obi-Wan a reason to leave his hiding place, perhaps even forcing Uncle Owen and Ben to begrudgingly have to work together for the common goal of saving Luke. Maybe young Lando could even be in it!

We need a Kenobi movie because Kenobi was hardly a dynamic character and had almost no character change throughout the saga. Ewan McGregor was rightfully the top billed actor of AotC and RotS, but his character was never the main character. It was always about Anakin, and then Luke. Even Padme was a more dynamic character than Obi-Wan. I'm rather disappointed that Obi-Wan was never a main character of any important story. An anthology film would be the chance to finally give him his due.

Fans not being able to imagine Obi-Wan as a central dynamic character with any important new story to tell is no excuse for Disney not hiring paid professional writers to invent one. Fans don't have to create it - We would only have to watch it and enjoy it. The limits of our imaginations should not be the limits of theirs.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I think the Mandalorian has a lot more potential for storytelling. Maybe with a Fett cameo (does anyone know if Disney $h!t-canned Fett escaping from the Sarlacc?)

It was stated that Boba Fett did survive the Sarlacc in canon, but the story hasn't been told yet. If by $h!t-canned you mean did they retcon that statement, I don't know for sure but I doubt it. One possibility is that the Mandalorian will be revealed to be Boba Fett, but he is probably too young for that. Or Boba Fett could appear as an antagonist at some point. Or comedy relief like in RotJ. I'm not really excited for the Mandalorian but I want to give it a shot. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by how great it is.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I'm not invested in the new characters and I am deeply saddened by the choice to waste our last chance to have a good trilogy about Luke & Co. in order to introduce those characters. So I'll potentially wait for home video. Though by then my kids will be old enough to want to go see them, so who knows.

I wouldn't mind more generic war movies set in the SW universe though. Special effects have hit the point where we could have a movie all about combat between fleets of capital ships, that might be a cool thing to explore.

Just for clarification, Lucasfilm said that the new Star Wars films will not have the CT or ST characters. They say it will be completely unrelated to the existing films. So I don't understand why your sadness with their use of the CT characters in the ST, and your lack of investment in the new ST characters, would have any bearing on whether you would see these completely unrelated movies with original characters in the theater or not. I would think you would at least see the first movie of a new trilogy in the theater and then decide if you want to continue that.

Truth be told, after TLJ I have similar concerns for TRoS. But the new films are a blank slate. Even Rian Johnson's unrelated original trilogy may be loads better than his handling of the ST in TLJ. It's at least possible.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kenobi series might consist of:

Learning to build sand castles.
The art of bartering with Jawas.
Chasing Sand People for laughs.
Desert agriculture and you.
Moisture farming for dummies.
Better hovel living tips for fugitive Jedi. Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I can't believe that Kenobi did absolutely nothing interesting in his 20 years in the desert of Tatooine.

I struggle to imagine anything of cinematic value happening during the 20 year stretch, though. Sure, he probably spent a lot of time meditating and reconnecting with the Force mixed in with watching over Luke from a distance, but how much of that is really going to be applicable in a Star Wars setting? There would be little to no space travel, or lightsaber battles, or anything that would really captivate a Star Wars audience.

Another thing that comes to mind is wondering how a Kenobi movie would drive the overall story of the main movies forward. For example, Rogue One fleshed out a side-arc that was hinted at in the main films, but was never developed. Solo, OTOH, didn't really do anything to drive the overall story forward apart from showing us Han Solo's background.

I think the real future of the SWU on screen is going to be telling stories about people other than the known characters. Disney only had one chance to do justice to the OT characters as they were at the end of RotJ, and IMO, they fumbled that in spectacular fashion, to the point where a lot of fans just don't care any more.

Quote:
It was stated that Boba Fett did survive the Sarlacc in canon, but the story hasn't been told yet. If by $h!t-canned you mean did they retcon that statement, I don't know for sure but I doubt it.

It's still more believable than Darth Maul surviving...

Quote:
One possibility is that the Mandalorian will be revealed to be Boba Fett, but he is probably too young for that. Or Boba Fett could appear as an antagonist at some point. Or comedy relief like in RotJ. I'm not really excited for the Mandalorian but I want to give it a shot. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by how great it is.

I could see a pre-ANH Boba Fett film, perhaps as an up-and-coming bounty hunter who hasn't fully proven himself yet. Maybe his first mission for Vader, so we can see where that "No disintegrations" line came from. Plus, since both Fett and Vader are masked, it isn't going to run into the same casting issues Solo did.

Quote:
Truth be told, after TLJ I have similar concerns for TRoS. But the new films are a blank slate. Even Rian Johnson's unrelated original trilogy may be loads better than his handling of the ST in TLJ. It's at least possible.

Oddly enough (as someone who despised TLJ), I agree. Johnson's previous film Looper is a decent offering; time travel films can very easily go off the rails, but he handled that one well. I think the issue of greater concern is Lucasfilm's lack of oversight w/r/t ironing out conflicts with the established canon. Even little things like arcing weapons fire in a vacuum. I'm not sure exactly what Kathleen Kennedy was thinking, but IMO, Star Wars needed an overall show-runner calling all the shots ala the MCU, and they don't have it. Starting with a blank slate in a completely different time will still have that issues, but to a lesser degree.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed May 08, 2019 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Just for clarification, Lucasfilm said that the new Star Wars films will not have the CT or ST characters.

I did not know that. But it means we didn't even kill them off to establish something new. They just died of acute artistic vision. Though not having Rose et al doesn't really tell us anything good or bad about this new trilogy.

But I am relating from personal experience, regarding scheduling. With a year between films I rode a wave of hope and enthusiasm into the next one. Now over a year out, I'm just bored in between, yet not particularly hungry for more.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Oh yeah. Maul's resurrection pretty much put the nail in Obi-Wan's competency coffin. The once-revered Jedi Master has become a bumbler.

I'm looking forward to the Mandalorian series. Always been a fan of their culture and it will be interesting to see how much of what we 'know' is canon.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I struggle to imagine...

As I stated above, the limits of your imagination (and mine and all fans) should not be the limits of professional movie writer and director imaginations. I have faith that movie makers can make films I never would have dreamed of, because it has happened many many many times before.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I struggle to imagine anything of cinematic value happening during the 20 year stretch, though. Sure, he probably spent a lot of time meditating and reconnecting with the Force mixed in with watching over Luke from a distance, but how much of that is really going to be applicable in a Star Wars setting? There would be little to no space travel, or lightsaber battles, or anything that would really captivate a Star Wars audience.

I'm not a Jedi Master living on a galactic crime lord's base of operation, and things with cinematic value have occasionally happened to me in the last 20 years of my life. And in my last post above this one, I gave an example of something cinematic that could happen, which could have space combat, lightsaber battles, etc. A movie only has to take place over the course of a few exciting days out of an otherwise mostly uneventful 20 years. It wouldn't need to to summarize the entire 20 year period.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Another thing that comes to mind is wondering how a Kenobi movie would drive the overall story of the main movies forward. For example, Rogue One fleshed out a side-arc that was hinted at in the main films, but was never developed. Solo, OTOH, didn't really do anything to drive the overall story forward apart from showing us Han Solo's background.

I have multiple responses to this.

Anthology films don't have to drive the overall story forward. They can be self-contained stories that do not contradict the overall story. They can be presented as previously unknown details about a character's life or events.

I disagree that RO did anything to drive the overall story, and I disagree that it is a fleshed out side arc. RO fleshed-out the vital background details of ANH. Fleshing out the opening crawl into its own film didn't do anything to drive the overall story that the opening crawl didn't already do. ANH is sufficiently stand-alone, just like how the classic trilogy works on its own without the prequel trilogy. The opening crawl is vital to ANH, and RO is just an enjoyable expansion of those vital details. It expands and enhances the overall story, but doesn't drive it. But Rogue One is not stand-alone. It was made to complement ANH and only works with ANH.

All five prequels expand and enhance and the overall story with background details in the form of their own films. Solo does the same thing that RO does. Solo gives us the details of the Han's backstory, his meeting of Chewbacca, the Kessel Run, Lando losing the Falcon to Han. Backstory details expanded into its own film. While it is true that Solo also doesn't drive any overall story, it does have something that RO doesn't have - It is stand-alone. It works as its own film.

I can certainly appreciate someone saying they just didn't personally enjoy Solo as much as RO, but I disagree that RO drives the overall story any more than Solo does. Neither film does and anthology films doesn't have to.

Quote:
Kenobi/Anthology

In the CT, Han has dynamic characterization and was much more of a protagonist than Kenobi, but Solo did successfully give us a story where Han is the very main protagonist in a story I enjoy. Like I said in my last post above this one, that is why we need a Kenobi film, to finally have a story where he is the main protagonist. Of course, it would only work if writer's could manufacturer some new dynamic aspect of his character that fit in the existing overall story, and they could frame an exciting story around it. I think the first thing would be the hard part, but no I would not advocate for a Kenobi movie that didn't have both. That would be pointless.

However going back to the OP, I hope you all can see that the Kenobi anthology movie was only mentioned in a single sentence as something I personally am disappointed about not getting. The main point of the post was what we are getting and when, not what we aren't getting. There were no dramatic laments or impassioned pleas for Disney. I certainly didn't expect criticisms about me wanting a film we are not getting. I guess I just need to stop replying to the criticisms to let the thread get back on course.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I think the real future of the SWU on screen is going to be telling stories about people other than the known characters.

That certainly is the future Lucasfilm has announced.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Quote:
It was stated that Boba Fett did survive the Sarlacc in canon, but the story hasn't been told yet. If by $h!t-canned you mean did they retcon that statement, I don't know for sure but I doubt it.

I don't disagree, and no one would (I guarantee all of the fans who think Maul coming back makes sense would be totally on board with Boba Fett coming back. I thought you were just asking if something is canon, not how believable it would be if it were. I don't have a problem with Boba Fett surviving the sarlaac if was worthwhile to a story that he did. I never cared about Boba Fett or Palpatine's resurrections in The Dark Empire because the story sucked and it was just an extreme case of sequelitis. 'Let's just bring back Boba Fett, Palpatine, and the question of Luke crossing over to the Dark Side or not because... more Star Wars.'

CRMcNeill wrote:
I could see a pre-ANH Boba Fett film, perhaps as an up-and-coming bounty hunter who hasn't fully proven himself yet. Maybe his first mission for Vader, so we can see where that "No disintegrations" line came from.

No doubt that lot of fans would love that. I personally just don't get into villain films. Even Solo emphasized that Han is a scoundrel with a heart of gold. Han denied the accusation in the film, but Qira called it - Han was the good guy. Boba Fett isn't. EU authors even realized this, so they turned Boba Fett into something he wasn't by adding a sense of morality that he always keeps his word, and that he hunts criminals because the Empire is the lawful, just, and rightful government in the galaxy. I don't feel that jives with the films at all. Boba's father was an amoral man who was just trying to make a living in this universe, and Boba was traumatized by seeing his father get decapitated by a Jedi. In TESB Boba only expressed a concern for money, like his father had to Obi-Wan in AotC.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Plus, since both Fett and Vader are masked, it isn't going to run into the same casting issues Solo did.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The Solo film was splendidly cast! Especially young Han and young Lando.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Whill wrote:
Just for clarification, Lucasfilm said that the new Star Wars films will not have the CT or ST characters.

I did not know that. But it means we didn't even kill them off to establish something new. They just died of acute artistic vision. Though not having Rose et al doesn't really tell us anything good or bad about this new trilogy.

Yeah, they said a while back (long before the recent Episode IX reveals), that there are currently no plans to continue the narrative of the ST beyond Episode IX. Of course that doesn't mean they won't ever go back to it. It just means there aren't any plans at this time. To give that a bit more context, they have stated that two new series are in development, both unrelated to the existing films (and each other): a trilogy helmed by Rian Johnson of TLJ fame (or infamy), and another series of an indeterminate amount of films helmed by the guys running Game of Thrones (which I have never seen so have no perspective on that). Unlike the ST, these series are being plotted out in advance so we won't have the odd chain message story writing of the ST.

TauntaunScout wrote:
But I am relating from personal experience, regarding scheduling. With a year between films I rode a wave of hope and enthusiasm into the next one. Now over a year out, I'm just bored in between, yet not particularly hungry for more.

The classic and prequel trilogy films were released three years apart and that was fine. I suspect you didn't get bored with the CT in between films, and the new films series with episodes two years apart won't have Rose or be related to the ST.

I feel only one year apart is too fast for the best interest of the films, and it will be nice for me to get every other December "off" (not adding a new Star Wars film on top of the holidays). And it slows down the inevitable running of the franchise into the ground.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

The classic and prequel trilogy films were released three years apart and that was fine. I suspect you didn't get bored with the CT in between films, and the new films series with episodes two years apart won't have Rose or be related to the ST.

I feel only one year apart is too fast for the best interest of the films, and it will be nice for me to get every other December "off" (not adding a new Star Wars film on top of the holidays). And it slows down the inevitable running of the franchise into the ground.

Much depends on how good the actual movies are. Release schedules and Rey/Not Rey don't tell us anything about that.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Much depends on how good the actual movies are. Release schedules and Rey/Not Rey don't tell us anything about that.

Exactly! We will actually need to see the first film of a new series to then be able to speak to any future hope/enthusiasm/boredom in the inter-film time period.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I have no idea what you're talking about. The Solo film was splendidly cast! Especially young Han and young Lando.

There will always be some who complain about the casting; that's hard to do when the two main characters are masks.

Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
...it isn't going to run into the same casting issues Solo did.

There will always be some who complain about the casting; that's hard to do when the two main characters are masks.

Oh I get the mask thing. But I wasn't aware of any "casting issues" Solo had. Solo infamously had director issues, but casting is something the Lego movie guys did oh so right. I mean, Alden Ehrenreich must have had a Falcon Mind Meld with Harrison Ford. Ehrenreich is a little shorter than Ford, but the new Chewbacca is a couple inches shorter than Peter Mayhew and movie magic can take care of that.

If you are referring to the guy who came on here and full-hate bashed Solo based on secondhand info from his cousin, I don't doubt that casting was on his long laundry of issues with the film, but he never even saw the movie and his opinion doesn't matter. I know Solo was considered a box office disappointment, but in my fan circles, Solo was an overall well received film and I can't recall any complaints about casting.

There are always people who complain about everything.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I think the issue of greater concern is Lucasfilm's lack of oversight w/r/t ironing out conflicts with the established canon. Even little things like arcing weapons fire in a vacuum. I'm not sure exactly what Kathleen Kennedy was thinking, but IMO, Star Wars needed an overall show-runner calling all the shots ala the MCU, and they don't have it. Starting with a blank slate in a completely different time will still have that issues, but to a lesser degree.

This. ABSOLUTELY THIS.

One of the reasons I disliked the EU so much is because there was so much weird stuff added in by various creators that then forced everyone else to bend to or rely on retcons.

I don't want to see more of that happening in the official movie canon.
Some stand-alone movie by some one-shot writer/director combo is granted, and they decide to add something to the Star Wars universe like Star Trek transporters, or a time travel portal to Earth or something...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: