The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually quite enthused about a non-trilogy structure, which they appear to be moving towards.

Bear in mind that Jon Favreau (who is behind The Mandalorian series) kicked off the Marvel Cinematic Universe with 'Iron Man' a few years ago and since then Marvel movies have slowly increased in pace until now we have several a year typically. Most of the Marvel movies are in a loosely connected universe, ultimately they recently connected into a 'grand finale' movie for the arc, the two-part movie climax ('Infinity War' and 'End-game').

Disney owns Marvel and they have a winning strategy I believe they will be using across their IPs:

"...Disney is taking a very different approach to the future of Star Wars films that is more in line with the Marvel Cinematic Universe than the trilogy / stand-alone format we’ve seen over the past few years."

(Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2020/01/08/the-next-star-wars-movie-is-reportedly-set-in-the-high-republic-era---heres-what-that-means/#1de0d5c219c1)

So I think this is great news. They will slowly ramp up movie production and make more of the popular movies, and if a movie / Jedi character is a dud, we see less of that character. Great flexibility for the franchise. More quality movies lie ahead, I think.

I'm excited.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your optimism, Mr. Shinn! But...

Iron Man was the only true "stand-alone" film in the series that is now known as the MCU. After Iron Man's success, they then decided to start rolling with a shared universe. They put RDJ at the end of The Incredible Hulk and started planning Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man 2 to build towards the Avengers. And before the second Avengers they had an overarching plan for building to the "Infinity War" (Avengers 3 and 4), totaling 22 movies when they added Spider-Man. There was a grand design and a single person steered all these nominally different franchises on course. Don't let them fool you. The MCU is one masterminded franchise composed of sub-franchises that have some individual freedoms but are ultimately subordinate to the Avengers franchise.

I morally object to them even referring to this Rey series as a "trilogy". Lucasfilm can't even do with three movies what Marvel did with 22 films. There was no trilogy plan. Abrams said he declined the first offer to do even Episode VII. Months later after they still couldn't get anyone to do one film, they went back to Abrams (and I presume they $begged$). Abrams said he and Johnson had maximum creative control of each of their episodes, and Abrams didn't know he was going to do the third one until after he finished the first. Lucasfilm obviously would have had a trilogy plan if they could have, so it seems that offering the max creative control to individual directors for each episode in the campfire chain message story method was an incentive to entice people to even take the job.

If directors are refusing offers to do even one Star Wars movie and the ones who accept don't want overarching guidance, how are they going to make a coherent series like Marvel films? In your quote, the word "trilogy" is only used in the strictly numerical sense of limiting the "series" to three films. As mentioned earlier up in this thread, they had already abandoned strict adherence to three-film multi-film stories when they announced the GoT guys were doing a series of films not specifically three in number. But now plans for that series are abandoned.

If Lucasfilm can't get manage an overarching planned story, then this "Marvel" method is a pipe dream. TRoS was an obvious cash grab where Abrams didn't even bother maintaining continuity with his own prior Star Wars film in the "series". There is absolutely zero evidence so far that this Marvel method will work for Star Wars. You know what worked for Star Wars? Planned out series. No, they don't need to be three in number, but they need a plan with overarching guidance. If they give too much individual creative freedom, it will fail. If they have a plan with good guidance and can't get anyone of caliber to execute the parts, it will fail.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I more or less agree with Whill in principle... I think the ST could have been fantastic if they're chosen to had something like a series bible. Even if they wrote it after TFA, and said "Ok, build the story as you like, but here's a few beats we need you to hit for part 3, because we're building towards this." But that lack of overall concept hurt the series as a series.

However, this is a post from someone over at the Giant in the Playground message boards that I very much agree with:

Quote:
If I had to pick a single thing that the sequels got the most wrong, it would be how they handled the protagonists.

They set up 4 major viewpoint characters in the first movie, and introduced a 5th in TLJ. They then fail to do anything with anyone other than Rey and Kylo. And Kylo's story tightly orbits Rey's, such that he's more of a supporting character in her story than a person in his own right.

Finn had great potential for his story, but it's forgotten about halfway through TFA. He gets sent off on a sidequest in the second movie, and then doesn't do much of anything in Rise.

Poe didn't get the initial characterization he needed in TFA - probably because he was supposed to die in the original version of the movie. They try to give him depth in TLJ...and then he does nothing in Rise.

Rose had an interesting premise as a grieving person who doesn't trust Finn...but then they go on the sidequest and her character development stops. She's then written out of Rise almost entirely.

Other than Rey, there are no protagonists we can get invested in. And this is a problem when Rey spends a large chunk of the movies separated from the core cast of characters.

None of the characters really got the development they needed, which leaves them all a bit weak... Rey got the most, and they tried a little bit with Poe in TRoS, but it felt like we were supposed to assume who these people were, rather than see it.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't invested in Rey, either. Or Snoke! I was so glad he died because it meant we were all done with revisiting the Emperor. So then we got the ACTUAL EMPEROR. Facepalm.

I generally agree with all the sentiments about Rey, Poe etc you copied over. But it needed to be about Luke & Leia, that's its real "problem" with protagonists. After the massive blunder in TFA of not having the movies be about them, it's unclear to me if recovery was ever going to be possible. Given the confines of the Hollywood machine.

I find "character development" to be a bit too broad of a term. I guess I don't actually care if characters change or not, I think Hollywood venerates the character-arc and it's hurt a lot of films. I care if the characters get well-established in the first place or not. When Han shot Greedo (first) under the table, we learned a lot about that guy. He changes, but not in some dragging, slow, dramatic scene about finding his inner strength or anything like that. He changes with a few guilty looks, then we forget about him, till the Falcon flies at the Death Star like a bat out of a cage. It doesn't need to do a barrel roll and dodge 15 obstacles and repeatedly do things that we're told are "Impossible!". Han's rebel yell covers all of that just fine. And Luke makes just one shot that's "impossible, even for a computer", he doesn't need to keep doing impossible things every 45 minutes of screen time. But I digress.

By all rights, TROS shoulda gotten about 7 ticket sales out of my household. It only got 2. So claiming financial success is a bit "off" when you're steering a franchise that's too big to fail anyways.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, am interested to see where they intend to go with movies/shows going forward. I am quite enjoying "The Mandalorian" and cannot wait to see where they go in season 2.
It really reminds me of a series of comics that came out in the early 2000's called Star Wars: Empire. It was serialized and showed events in the galaxy that weren't related to the main characters of the movies. That's a win in my book!
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Rey. TFA overall works for me, but it went downhill from there. In the future, I's like to see cohesive SW series (regardless of episode number) or standalone films. There should either tie in well to the Lucas SW films, or be totally unrelated but still have the same verisimilitude.

Grimace wrote:
I, too, am interested to see where they intend to go with movies/shows going forward. I am quite enjoying "The Mandalorian" and cannot wait to see where they go in season 2.

I enjoyed the first season too. I've read that Jon Favreau really wanted to capture the reality of the classic trilogy. This is not spoilers -> I've also read that he said he wanted to explore the origins of the First Order, and that he wanted to explore the return of Palpatine - Two things I am less than enthusiastic about seeing. The canon post-RotJ word is confusing.

Grimace wrote:
It really reminds me of a series of comics that came out in the early 2000's called Star Wars: Empire. It was serialized and showed events in the galaxy that weren't related to the main characters of the movies. That's a win in my book!

Interesting.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I enjoyed the first season too. I've read that Jon Favreau really wanted to capture the reality of the classic trilogy. This is not spoilers -> I've also read that he said he wanted to explore the origins of the First Order, and that he wanted to explore the return of Palpatine - Two things I am less than enthusiastic about seeing. The canon post-RotJ word is confusing.

Well, if they do get into explaining things like that in the Mandalorian series, I would hope that it would hold to the standard they established in the first season. I have faith they could do that.

I think if anything has been established by the Disney + series is that there ARE directors who can make enjoyable Star Wars. While they may have made less-than-wise choices for the sequel trilogy (though I do not think JJ Abrams did wrong with his opening movie), I am sure the powers that make decisions have now got a list of a few directors who could probably make good Star Wars movies.

Heck, they can even go back to the director of *Rogue One* to make another movie!
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Well, if they do get into explaining things like that in the Mandalorian series, I would hope that it would hold to the standard they established in the first season. I have faith they could do that.

I think if anything has been established by the Disney + series is that there ARE directors who can make enjoyable Star Wars. While they may have made less-than-wise choices for the sequel trilogy (though I do not think JJ Abrams did wrong with his opening movie), I am sure the powers that make decisions have now got a list of a few directors who could probably make good Star Wars movies.

Heck, they can even go back to the director of *Rogue One* to make another movie!

They could and that could be good. I'm not sure what Gareth Edwards' relationship with Lucasfilm is now since they hired Tony Gilroy to direct reshoots and rework aspects of RO. All I know is the end result was an awesome movie.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Grimace wrote:

They could and that could be good. I'm not sure what Gareth Edwards' relationship with Lucasfilm is now since they hired Tony Gilroy to direct reshoots and rework aspects of RO. All I know is the end result was an awesome movie.

I think The Mandalorian shows that anything COULD be good, if they actually hire professional, emotionally mature, adults to make it.

I hate pretty much every idea that makes up the premise of The Mandalorian, but I love the show. Whether or not something works in film and television is more about how you do it, than what you do.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Taika Waititi to Direct New 'Star Wars' Film Reply with quote

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/taika-waititi-direct-new-star-wars-film-1293092

I enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok a lot but thought it still a bit too much comedy for the source material. And Kathleen Kennedy fired the Lego movie guys from Solo because they were making it into a comedy. So, who knows what this means. But right, now I still feel better about this than Rian Johnson or JJ Abrams doing another Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Aelwe
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Waititi and his directing style, and I do enjoyed the episode of the Mandalorian he directed. However, I think that he needs to be kept in check. A little fun in Star Wars, some comedy bits...sure, I can enjoy that. But with some measure, for instance, while I enjoyed Thor Ragnarok I don't think the same tone would work for Star Wars.

Unless....they go with a stand alone, full comedy movie in the Star Wars universe. I don't know if that would work, but it could.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Mandalorian episode he did too. I'm pretty sure the film will be standalone, but I doubt I would like a full-on comedy, even if standalone. Yes, I would like to keep an open mind, but they really would be making that difficult with comedies. Leaving the Skywalker saga behind and making new stories is their chance to start fresh. I hope they don't further dilute the brand, but if so I'll always have the Lucas saga.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually interested in completely different genres of Star Wars. Romantic comedy. Buddy cop. Costume drama. Etc.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I am actually interested in completely different genres of Star Wars. Romantic comedy. Buddy cop. Costume drama. Etc.

Not a romantic comedy, per se, but Lost Stars could be an interesting move to make. It would be grounded in the OT, could fill in some of the gaps between OT and ST, and plays as an action romance.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
Romantic comedy. Buddy cop. Costume drama. Etc.

...action romance.

ugh Rolling Eyes
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: