The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Upcoming New Star Wars films/Disney+ series Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Rogue Squadron Reply with quote

I don't have confirmation yet, but supposedly the Rogue Squadron film is set in a future generation after TRoS. That is a bit of a buzzkill, but it probably will be fairly removed from the DT.

Rogue Squadron is the next schedule SW film, currently set for Christmas 2023. The only other SW film mentioned in the Disney Investors Day announcements today was the still as yet unnamed Taika Waititi film which is still in development.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Rogue Squadron Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I don't have confirmation yet, but supposedly the Rogue Squadron film is set in a future generation after TRoS.

I guess then we will see that FO Remnants are still active and kicking... Wink
You guys think it will be like SW Top Gun?
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is what they will be going for. This movie sounds like what I've wanted ever since seeing Top Gun and getting back into Star Wars in 1987 (and reading the Rogue Squadron novels in the 90s). Of course I'd rather the movie be set in the classic era, but I'll keep an open mind and give it a chance because it is good director, plus JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson probably won't be involved.

I am tired of trying to get info on these. These are new Disney+ series announced at Disney Investors Day today.

These first two, I did not confirm if they will be live action or animated:

Lando - This is being called an "event" series but I do not know what that means.

The Acolyte - "a mystery-thriller that will take the audience into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic era."

These two will be animated:

A Droid Story - "Lucasfilm Animation will be teaming up with Lucasfilm’s visual effects team, Industrial Light & Magic, to develop a special Star Wars adventure for Disney+, A Droid Story. This epic journey will introduce us to a new hero, guided by legendary duo R2-D2 and C-3PO."

Star Wars: Visions - "Presenting all-new, creative takes on the galaxy far, far away, Star Wars: Visions will be a series of animated short films celebrating Star Wars through the lens of the world’s best anime creators. The anthology collection will bring 10 fantastic visions from several of the leading Japanese anime studios, offering a fresh and diverse cultural perspective to Star Wars."

NOTES: Please talk about Bad Batch in the Spoilers thread for The Clone Wars Season 7. Please talk about Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka in the Spoilers thread for The Mandalorian. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Rogue Squadron Reply with quote

Teaser

Patty Jenkins wearing a classic flightsuit and heading for a classic X-wing...too much to hope this will be set in the classic era?
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
I hope, for my own sake, they don't over saturate.

I used to love zombies. Then pop culture went overboard with zombie media. Now I am so sick of them.

With the success of The Mandalorian, it feels like Disney is trying to milk the golden goose to death in series form.

Sad

I guess all I can do is choose not to watch if it starts going south.

I think the over saturation began with a forced movie release schedule of one film per year for five years, starting in 2015 when they still hadn't gotten a single person to run the entire DT. This forced them to abandon that and settle for three campfire chain stories that they call a "trilogy," and one of the two other films had troubled production because they rushed to get the Lego movie directors who tried to ruin it. So the over saturation already began before Disney+ even existed. And now Disney says there are 10 Star Wars (and 10 Marvel) Disney+ series in the works currently.

Mamatried wrote:
While not FILM spesific, I was wondering since they decided to air mando s3
in december, rather than october.
Could this mean that we will get one of the announced project aready by october, making it 2 star wars shows for that year?

It is rumored that Obi-Wan Kenobi might come out as early as October 2021. It makes sense to put a new show in Mando's "slot" because The Mandalorian is already immensely popular so everyone will watch it whenever it comes out.

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Teaser

I can't believe I forgot to share the Rogue Squadron video. Thanks!

RyanDarkstar wrote:
Patty Jenkins wearing a classic flightsuit and heading for a classic X-wing...too much to hope this will be set in the classic era?

According to Kathleen Kennedy, Rogue Squadron will be set in the future, a 'whole new generation of fighter pilots' type of thing. They have stated before that the new movies will be distanced from the so-called "Skywalker Saga" which includes the so-called "Sequel Trilogy," and that past and future of the SW timeline were possibilities for new films. So yes, classic era is probably too much to hope for. Unfortunately.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sad news today, the Rian Johnson trilogy is still in development.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1163799-rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-still-in-development

Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least it's not canceled.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In sad news today, the Rian Johnson trilogy is still in development.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1163799-rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-still-in-development

Cool

Horrible news, though I still see this a "rumor" more than set in stone given the time line and announcements we got from disney so far with tv series.

the man is is actually imo worse a director than Ed Wood, and his attempt at star wars was even worse than Plan nine from outer space, a move often considered the worst movie ever made
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness, Johnson's trilogy could be a lot better than TLJ.

Disney should have went straight to unrelated trilogies and left the Lucas Saga alone.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In all fairness, Johnson's trilogy could be a lot better than TLJ.

Disney should have went straight to unrelated trilogies and left the Lucas Saga alone.

ANY trilogy would be better.

Even harry Potter is more Star Wars than the sequals as is, so bettering utter trash is not a feat, that is something more or less automatic.

I have yet to see a single fan film on line , even the one made by nieces at 3-6yrs old as a lot better than anything of the sequals.

I caan go on and on, but lets keep moany of my reasons here out of the forums because ....reasons
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I’m certainly no fan of TLJ, I actually enjoyed Rian Johnson’s Looper, so he’s not an utter failure as a director. However, he was an abysmal choice to be given free reign on making the middle film of the “final” Star Wars Trilogy. Giving him something akin to Rogue One would’ve played better, where his subverting expectations schtick would fit in the grittier, morally nebulous parts of the SWU. That or giving him Solo.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm excited about this new fighter pilot film, I'm a bit more subdued after Wonder Woman 1984. The first WW movie was phenomenal, IMHO, but she was one of the writers on the sequel, which really disappointed me. Still, I'm optimistic that her love for the source material will help make this to be of excellent quality. Hopefully she'll have people keeping her in check, in case she wanders into the fantastical and implausible (as in WW84).

I agree with most people here that Rian Johnson just wasn't a good fit for the middle film in a trilogy. I thought Looper and Knives Out were both pretty good, so his whole edgy/subverting expectations thing might work better with stand-alone film(s) as compared to part of a connected story.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Knives Out. I've watched a lot of time travel movies and I've seen Looper. It had a fairly original time travel logic (yet quite disgusting). It was internally consistent. It did take a little online reading up on it to totally wrap my head around being shown the timelines out of order, but once I did I was cool with it. All in all it was a decent movie but nothing spectacular.

~~~

Yeah, WW84 on HBO Max (and in theaters) was a disappointment for me after loving the first one so much. We watched it on Christmas and I did watch it again 29 days later before it left HBO Max. WW84 was watched about 15 million times in its first three days, so in its first week of release, Warner Brothers announced a third WW film. I'm still hopeful that the director will consider the criticisms of the film being too slow in parts (there was hardly any action in the first hour+). And yes, since 'wishes' have done now, hopefully the next one won't be quite so fantastic. I'm still optimistic about it.

I think Jenkins' Star Wars fighter pilots movie will have more action. I'm more worried about the fact that it will be set post-TRoS. I don't see any reason to to not set it during the Empire. They are going to have make up a third empire to be enemies.

~~~

So the three-year contract extension that Disney gave Kathleen Kennedy in 2018 is up later this year. Today the Disney CEO was asked if someone else would be taking over her position and he replied:

Quote:
We look forward to having Kathy direct the activities of the entire Lucasfilm organization for many years to come.

Not a guarantee but a clear statement of intention. All those haters with "wishful thinking news" about her being fired in 2018 look even more unintelligent and dishonest now. I'm not saying she's great but this is yet another lesson to actually seek the truth instead of choosing to believe what you want to believe.

Personally I have lost most of my enthusiasm for the future Star Wars franchise by now, but I don't really blame Kennedy because I really don't see anyone else stepping in and doing much better at this point. Jon Favreau seemed like a hopeful candidate until The Mandalorian S2 jumped the shark and became a backdoor pilot for three spin-off series, the premise for Boba Fett being particularly silly.

But facts are facts. Kennedy is beheld as a significant element of Lucasfilm's success under Disney. Four out of the five films were box office smash hits, and the disaster of Solo was salvaged to still come out a bit ahead. The Mandalorian and other Disney Wars content on Disney+ is hugely popular in views, and subscribers are way above projection.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the teeth-gnashing of "Star Wars fans" begin.

Honestly, I don't know why people think X person is so bad. I had poor opinions of JJ Abrams based on his work in the new Star Trek movies. He removed any of my poor opinions of him when he did The Force Awakens. Yeah, I wasn't near as impressed with The Rise of Skywalker.

Not everyone is destined to make bad movies for the remainder of their life simply because they had a "miss" in their career.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Let the teeth-gnashing of "Star Wars fans" begin.

Honestly, I don't know why people think X person is so bad.

Well, I do know why you think X person is so bad because you stated quite a lot of those opinions in the past.

(X = George Lucas.)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: