The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vader: Cybernetic Replacements or Enhancements?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Vader: Cybernetic Replacements or Enhancements? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I can't believe you are are suggesting the ickiness of these two SW sequels are equal in light of the sibling retcon, and I can't even fathom a possible motivation you might have in doing so.

I'm not saying it isn't creepy, but what Luke knew and when he knew it must be taken into account. The fact that he finds Leia beautiful, and that he has something of a crush on her, is obvious all through the first film, too. But the ickiness of it stems from a meta-knowledge position that the character doesn't have.

Quote:
But ultimately the Luke and Leia's budding romance of the novel is one of the more minor issues with the book.

Fair points. I suppose the general story line would still work if Vader was subbed out for some mid-level Inquisitor or something.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Leona Makk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
EDIT: Embarassed So apparently I posted without reading all of the thread and some of my comments were scooped. On the plus side, I provide an alternate mechanic to CRMcNeil's for how cybernetic replacements or enhancements effect Force Users and Force Powers.

garhkal wrote:
Never really liked the "if you have cybernetics, get 1 dsp per cyber-point you have" that was iirc introduced in Crackens.. I would much prefer a penalty to activating force powers for having cybernetics myself..
Yeah, the cyber point rules didn’t seem quite right.

Here’s what it says on page 5 of Cracken's Rebel Field Guide.
Cracken's Rebel Field Guide 'Temptation of Evil' wrote:
Each prosthetic has a set number of cyber points.

When a character calls on the Force, he must roll a die. If the number is higher than the character’s total cyber points , the Force may be used as described in the game. If the roll is equal to or lower than the point total, the character cannot use the Force.

Characters with any cyber points receive double the normal amount of Dark Side points.

1. Luke, with a single hand replacement has a 1 in 6 chance of not being able to use the Force. Did we see that happen in Return of the Jedi? If it did, I don’t remember seeing it.

2. Darth Vader has no chance of using the Force. Due to his injuries, he has replaced his hands, arms, and legs (1 Cyber Point each), plus some organs like heart and lungs (1 Cyber Point each) for a total of 8 Cyber Points. He is horribly burned so he may have had replacements for eyes or ears (1 Cyber Point each). If so that would take him up to 10 or 12 Cyber Points. Regardless of whether it is 8 or 10 or 12 points, he’s rarely going to roll over 8, much less 10 or 12, on just one die.

3. The doubling of DSPs received doesn’t make much sense to me. Also wouldn’t a Dark Sider like Vader actually benefit from the doubling award for DSPs? I’m not sure that would balance out his inability to use the Force normally though.

This rule doesn’t match what we see in the films (or anywhere else).

I can see an argument that someone who chose to have functioning limbs or organs removed and replaced with “improved” cyberparts might, in some sense, be acting against life and that might warrant some sort of penalty like a Dark Side Point. Using the Dark Side Pip House Rule, I could live with a penalty like 1 DSPip per Cyber Point for removal and replacement of healthy limbs or organs.

garhkal’s idea that Cyber Points should or could make it more difficult to use the Force makes sense and it does seem to match somethings we hear about Vader losing some ability or connection to the Force after getting barbecued on Mustafar. It makes sense if you have midichlorians* throughout your body and you lose parts of your body your midichlorian count could decrease. We can probably get some use out of the Cracken Cyber Point mechanic for making the Force more difficult to access or use. One simple method would be to add the Cyber Point total to the difficulty of the power.

So Luke would add +1 to the difficulty of every task, which would be an extremely minor effect. Vader might add +10 to the difficulty. Not enough to stop someone with his number of dice in Control, Sense, and Alter, but for some powers like projective and receptive telepathy it will sometimes matter.

And if the GM wants a bigger effect just include a multiplier for the Cyber Point total. With a x2 or a x3 multiplier Vader will start to feel the effects for some powers (+20 or +30 to the difficulty). Luke mostly still won’t (+2 or +3 to the difficulty) which does seem to fit what we see in Return of the Jedi.

*Yeah, yeah, I hate them too, but the darn things are canon.

If a character who has turned to the Dark Side can only get new Character Points by gaining DS pts, right?
Wouldn't the Cyber Points add/earn DS pt rule allow Vader to DOUBLE the number of Character Points he acquires? He certainly needs them with all those 10d stats of course.
(I have been wondering about that one for years)
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, seems like. To my mind, the mechanics for Dark Side characters gaining CPs, FPs, and DSPs never seemed like it was designed with an intention that anyone would actually play out the acquisition of points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: