The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The REAL Star Wars Day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The REAL Star Wars Day Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: The REAL Star Wars Day Reply with quote

May 4th, as we all know, is not the actual premier date for Star Wars.

On the actual day we had a huge Star Wars joint birthday party for the kids.

https://i.imgur.com/hXCtQ5Y.jpg

That's a pretty normal spacey-looking cake. Then I used SW ice cube trays as chocolate molds to decorate it.

https://i.imgur.com/2uPyO4c.jpg

That is a cheeseball shaped like an ewok head on a platter. Like John the Baptist. Only. For ROTJ? Also, chocolate covered pretzel lightsabers. And Cheese and cracker TIE fighters.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit disappointed in that cake. It could have used some white chocolate TIE fighters in addition to the X-wings and Millennium Falcon.

Still, although not perfect, it was still an awesome cake.
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. I celebrate Orthodox Star Wars Day. Smile
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:

I'm ecumenical; I celebrate Orthodox and Reformed.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: The REAL Star Wars Day Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
May 4th, as we all know, is not the actual premier date for Star Wars.

On the actual day we had a huge Star Wars joint birthday party for the kids.

https://i.imgur.com/hXCtQ5Y.jpg

That's a pretty normal spacey-looking cake. Then I used SW ice cube trays as chocolate molds to decorate it.

https://i.imgur.com/2uPyO4c.jpg

That is a cheeseball shaped like an ewok head on a platter. Like John the Baptist. Only. For ROTJ? Also, chocolate covered pretzel lightsabers. And Cheese and cracker TIE fighters.

Impressive. Most impressive.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:

Not me. I might watch one of the newer films that I like, but if I watch one of the OT, it's the non-SE version for me, even if that means watching the 2006 LD rips.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:

Not me. I might watch one of the newer films that I like, but if I watch one of the OT, it's the non-SE version for me, even if that means watching the 2006 LD rips.

LOL. Orthodox and Reformed are not in reference to original and revised CT films.

Orthodox Star Wars Day = May 25th
Reformed Star Wars Day = May 4th

And "non-SE" version is an insufficient reference, as the "SE" versions are only the 1997 versions. The 2004 DVD and 2001 blu-ray versions are also "non-SE". FYI.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Orthodox all the way. Very Happy
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:

LOL. Orthodox and Reformed are not in reference to original and revised CT films.

It is a local joke. Last year (and possibly earlier), folks (possibly me) came in and started talking about Star Wars day on May 4th, which ruffled the feathers of some of the May 25th purists. Somewhere in there, we decided to bury it by referring to the 25th as the Orthodox Star Wars Day (the day of release of the 1st film), while May 4th is Reformed Star Wars Day (the more popular day in general culture).
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:

And "non-SE" version is an insufficient reference, as the "SE" versions are only the 1997 versions. The 2004 DVD and 2001 blu-ray versions are also "non-SE". FYI.

I'm aware that, technically, only the 1997 releases are the "Special Editions," and everything else is merely an updated version of alterations that began in 1997. However, I use "SE" in a broader sense. Basically, I prefer the pre-SE versions.

I grew up watching a copy of Star Wars that was recorded off of the old Prism network, and renting copies of ESB and ROTJ that were when CBS/FOX was doing the VHS tapes. I still have a copy of the THX "3 faces" VHS releases somewhere in my basement. Pretty sure I even have a working VCR somewhere down there, too.

But anyway, I refer to "Orthodox" Star Wars Day as being May 25, and simply choose to observe the day watching an OT film as close to the original release as I can get. Although I'll also watch some of the newer films if I'm in the mood.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't count things like touching up the blue screen seams and stuff as all that "special". So I use the 2004 DVD's and only watch the one that doesn't have the added scenes.

I watched and re-watched and re-watched a copy of ANH we made from the first network airing and HBO copies of ESB and ROTJ (and SWtJ) when I was a kid.

I'd pay absurd money to get a DVD of "my" old SW (we didn't call it ANH back then, outside of trivia contests and such) VHS with 80's commercials. But that tape is long gone.

This helps though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qi3vO-RLcs
Whill

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Whill wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

I refer to "Orthodox" Star Wars Day as being May 25, and simply choose to observe the day watching an OT film as close to the original release as I can get. Although I'll also watch some of the newer films if I'm in the mood.

I guess I misunderstood your post. I at first thought it was odd to just bring up your distaste for revised versions of the OT films when we were taking which day is Star Wars Day. It seemed a rather off topic criticism. Then I thought you had thought we were talking about unrevised vs revised Star Wars, and that's what I replied to. But now I see that when you said, "Not me" you were referring to not celebrating both days, so only May 25th. And I guess then you were then just filling in details for specifically how you celebrate it, which went into what you don't watch. Sorry for my initial misunderstanding.

TauntaunScout wrote:
I watched and re-watched and re-watched a copy of ANH we made from the first network airing and HBO copies of ESB and ROTJ (and SWtJ) when I was a kid.

I'd pay absurd money to get a DVD of "my" old SW (we didn't call it ANH back then, outside of trivia contests and such) VHS with 80's commercials. But that tape is long gone.

This helps though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qi3vO-RLcs

I saw the original Star Wars film exactly twice from 1977-1986. Once in the theater, and then the first network broadcast with all the commercials and Mark Hamill clips. We didn't have HBO, so that was it.

Solo4114 wrote:
I grew up watching a copy of Star Wars that was recorded off of the old Prism network, and renting copies of ESB and ROTJ that were when CBS/FOX was doing the VHS tapes. I still have a copy of the THX "3 faces" VHS releases somewhere in my basement. Pretty sure I even have a working VCR somewhere down there, too.

In 1987 one of my best friends got the CBS/Fox Star Wars VHS tapes. We trilogized and that rekindled my love for Star Wars. I saved up all my high school job money until I would buy my own trilogy. I watched the whole trilogy about once a month. I may have worn those copies out and bought a second CBS/Fox trilogy, but I definitely got the THX set when it came out in 1995. I continued watching the trilogy monthly until a few months before the SEs came out in 97. Of course I bought the SE VHS set and had new versions of my favorite films to watch.

Solo4114 wrote:
I'm aware that, technically, only the 1997 releases are the "Special Editions," and everything else is merely an updated version of alterations that began in 1997. However, I use "SE" in a broader sense. Basically, I prefer the pre-SE versions.

In my experience, those that use "SE" incorrectly in a broader sense unfortunately tend to be those who categorically despise all revisions and dramatically hate George Lucas for destroying their childhood. Which is of course their prerogative, but I'm never going to let that inaccuracy in reference go uncorrected. Sorry. You're use of "pre-SE" in your last post is accurate. "Unrevised" works too.

Solo4114 wrote:
I refer to "Orthodox" Star Wars Day as being May 25, and simply choose to observe the day watching an OT film as close to the original release as I can get. Although I'll also watch some of the newer films if I'm in the mood.

Before 1997, I had seen the unrevised versions of all three OT films about 100 times each. That's really too much for any one lifetime, let alone 90-some viewings in less than 10 years. I thought I was done with that version. Then in 2007 I watched the unrevised ANH DVD from my 2006 DVD set for the 30th anniversary. I thought I was done again. Then for the 40th anniversary, my family watched a Star Wars double-header of Rogue One and the original version of Star Wars. My personal viewing count of the original version of the original SW is over 100 now. I've really got to be done with the original version of ANH, even for milestone anniversaries. I'm also done with 97 SE version of ANH, and I'm probably even done with the 04 DVD version of ANH too.

In celebration of Star Wars Day this year, we watched Solo because it was the only film out of the 10 that I felt like watching (the one I've watched the least number of times). I couldn't even bring myself to watch TPM on its 20th anniversary, and I love TPM. I've just seen it so many times in the last 20 years.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I guess I misunderstood your post. I at first thought it was odd to just bring up your distaste for revised versions of the OT films when we were taking which day is Star Wars Day. It seemed a rather off topic criticism. Then I thought you had thought we were talking about unrevised vs revised Star Wars, and that's what I replied to. But now I see that when you said, "Not me" you were referring to not celebrating both days, so only May 25th. And I guess then you were then just filling in details for specifically how you celebrate it, which went into what you don't watch. Sorry for my initial misunderstanding.

No worries! I can see where it might've gotten jumbled as to what I was getting at.

Quote:
In 1987 one of my best friends got the CBS/Fox Star Wars VHS tapes. We trilogized and that rekindled my love for Star Wars. I saved up all my high school job money until I would buy my own trilogy. I watched the whole trilogy about once a month. I may have worn those copies out and bought a second CBS/Fox trilogy, but I definitely got the THX set when it came out in 1995. I continued watching the trilogy monthly until a few months before the SEs came out in 97. Of course I bought the SE VHS set and had new versions of my favorite films to watch.

Yeah, I had the '97 widescreen editions, and later went back and bought the '95 THX "Faces" edition on Ebay. I enjoyed a bunch of the new stuff just as "Oh hey, neat! That's new!" when it first came out, but over time came to prefer the older versions for a number of reasons.

Quote:
In my experience, those that use "SE" incorrectly in a broader sense unfortunately tend to be those who categorically despise all revisions and dramatically hate George Lucas for destroying their childhood. Which is of course their prerogative, but I'm never going to let that inaccuracy in reference go uncorrected. Sorry. You're use of "pre-SE" in your last post is accurate. "Unrevised" works too.

Yeah, that pretty much tracks. I'm not really a fan of the revised versions or the continued tinkering, at least not when it comes at the expense of releasing an original "archival" version. What I dislike about Lucas' stance is, well, two things. First, I dislike the revisionist history that pops up either from fans attempting to justify what Lucas changed, or from Lucas himself. Second, I dislike the refusal to release an archival version of the Pre-SE OT.

Basically, I dislike most Lucas' attitude that "Sorry you prefer the crappy wrong version I made originally. You're wrong for liking it and my version is better, so too bad for you," especially when he could...you know....just release both (or he could have, and now Disney could but so far has not). I enjoy seeing the updates as a kind of "Oh, interesting. That's how we're doing it now, huh?" but I want to also be able to go back and watch the older version in all its glory, because it truly is glorious and an amazing acheivement, even if the effects don't match up with the PT, and the actors look off because they have an old woman+chimp as the Emperor instead of Ian McDiarmid and Boba Fett's voice doesn't sound like Jango Fett's voice and whatnot.

I just want the option to watch it the old way, fit to modern displays, in high res, and with a cleaned up image. If they could do it for Bond and North by Northwest, they could do it for Star Wars. That's all I really want.

Quote:
Before 1997, I had seen the unrevised versions of all three OT films about 100 times each. That's really too much for any one lifetime, let alone 90-some viewings in less than 10 years. I thought I was done with that version. Then in 2007 I watched the unrevised ANH DVD from my 2006 DVD set for the 30th anniversary. I thought I was done again. Then for the 40th anniversary, my family watched a Star Wars double-header of Rogue One and the original version of Star Wars. My personal viewing count of the original version of the original SW is over 100 now. I've really got to be done with the original version of ANH, even for milestone anniversaries. I'm also done with 97 SE version of ANH, and I'm probably even done with the 04 DVD version of ANH too.

In celebration of Star Wars Day this year, we watched Solo because it was the only film out of the 10 that I felt like watching (the one I've watched the least number of times). I couldn't even bring myself to watch TPM on its 20th anniversary, and I love TPM. I've just seen it so many times in the last 20 years.

Yeah, I watched Star Wars every Sunday morning from the time I was about 6 to the time I was about 12. Then I stopped watching it for probably about 3 years and was basically done with it, until I rediscovered my love for it in my later teen years, where I'd probably watch it a couple of times a year.

I kind of went through a Star Wars "divorce" around the time of the PT. I really, really did not like it, nor the focus on all new content being PT content -- an era I just didn't care about. I was also really frustrated by Lucas' continued "My way or the highway" attitude, even about stupid stuff that he should've just said "Whoops. That was a mistake."

Like, the technical errors in the 2004 DVDs? That stuff is just inexcusably bad work. I'm not talking artistic choices like "Make the sabres look like the PT sabres" or "add in a CGI shot of an X-wing during the Death Star attack" or whathaveyou. I'm talking stuff like swapping the rear channels on the 5.1 track, and screwing up the color balance in shots where you can literally watch the palette shift from "embrigthened!" to its original, more muted look as the scene changes. Really slap-dash shoddy quality work. And then, LFL just said "No, that's not a mistake. None of that is mistaken."

I gather most of that was corrected with the '12 blu-rays, but by that point, I just didn't care. I wanted an archival version, no one was making it, and I hadn't discovered any of the fan edits at that point.

Basically, what really rekindled my love of the franchise was four things.

1. Finding out about fan edits (e.g., Adywan, Harmy).

2. The Disney purchase and newer films, which I overall like a lot.

3. Discovering the Clone Wars cartoon, which I actually like a LOT better than the prequel films, but which got me to a point where I now really enjoy ROTS.

4. Getting some distance from it all and generally just not feeling as personally aggrieved by this stuff. It's just business. It's not personal. I don't have to like the business decisions, but then my choice is to vote with my wallet and my feet.

I suppose a 5th factor would be discovering the WEG game and realizing that I could just, you know, make my OWN Star Wars stories (not fan fic, though) instead of waiting for someone else to provide me with the entertainment I'd most prefer.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:

4. Getting some distance from it all and generally just not feeling as personally aggrieved by this stuff. It's just business. It's not personal. I don't have to like the business decisions, but then my choice is to vote with my wallet and my feet.

It's not business IMO, it's art. It would be good business to release "normal" edits of Old Wars but George Lucas was too stuck on his personal artistic vision to do so. That's just one example. I think a lot of the weakness of the New Wars movies come down to stubborn artists. Busininess-wise who cares? Disney knows it'll sell out opening weekend either way.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's please temper this discussion before it goes into bash-mode against Lucas, Disney, and/or any of the films, all disallowed by the forum guidelines.

Star Wars and I predate home video. I remember the time where you saw a movie in the theater and maybe it later went to TV. There were no home recordings and you just had to catch it live when it was broadcast. The entire CT predates the prevalence of digital home viewing technology. We are not owed any old movies being available to us in newer home video formats. Instead of being disgruntled for what we don't have, we should be thankful for what we do have.

Artworks are never completed - They are abandoned. Although the Special Editions allowed Lucas to realize some things from his imagination that hadn't been realized the first time (like walking dewbacks), there is a cold hard business reality to the SEs as well. After the first Star Wars film, the Star Wars franchise under Lucas was the biggest budget films independent from studio financing. Lucas' 1983 divorce took a lot of his money, and most of his income in the 80s and 90s came from ILM. The SEs financed Episode I. The plan with conservative estimates was for I to then finance II, and II to finance III which Lucas thought would gross poorly due to being a downer. He hoped to break even. Then TPM did so well he could put the budgets for II and III in the bank, and then by AotC's gross he was stinking rich. The bottom line is, there was always a financial risk the prequels would bomb, so the Special Editions made the future franchise possible, ultimately including the sale to Disney. The SEs having new stuff was the biggest marketing draw. A straight rerelease would not have grossed what the SEs did. So if you like any Star Wars film beyond the first three, or any of the rest of the gigantic franchise available today, you have the SEs to thank for that, whether you like the SE alterations or not. George Lucas ensured the future of Star Wars (which allows fandom to continue whining and b!tching about everything).

Although the 2006 bonus DVDs are good enough original versions in a digital format for me and I am not so aggrieved by the altered versions, I wholeheartedly support the release of the original versions of the films in whatever media you want them to be released in. The more options available to fans, the better.

It really would be a dumb business decision for Disney not to do it. When Disney took over, they announced support for Lucas' then-current vision of Star Wars (which is why they nonsensically canonized TCW with the films), so it is extremely likely Disney is just waiting for Lucas to kick off before rereleasing the original versions of the CT. If they wait too long, then the original generation of fans who want the rereleases won't be around to buy it. Well, Lucas is older than than all of us who were born in the 70s and 80s, so he'll probably go first.

Lucas never rereleased the original versions of the CT in a high definition format while he owned the company. He sold Star Wars in 2012. That was 7 years ago. It's time for us to get over our anger at Lucas. Disney will release it eventually. We need to have patience. The Rancor Pit is not really the venue for venting and ranting about these things.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: