The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Advanced Skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Advanced Skills Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Its one of my quibbles with D6. The simplicity sometimes turns out to be a double edged sword.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m giving this a bump because of what I brought up here.

I’m going to do a write-up for Acrobatics as an Advanced Skill, with additional abilities above and beyond the reduction of falling damage. A few examples that come to mind are pole-vaulting, brachiation (using arms to swing from ropes/branches), and parkour/freerunning, to name a few, but I’d appreciate some suggestions as to how these would be written up rules-wise. Also, any suggestions as to other abilities I didn’t mention would be appreciated.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so, coming back to the idea of Acrobatics as a generally available Advanced Skill, here's my re-boot of what's described under the existing Acrobatics skill under the Trianii Species Profile:

(A) Acrobatics

Time Taken: One Round
Prerequisites: Agility 5D, Climbing/Jumping 5D
Specializations: Tumbling, Pole Vaulting, Freerunning, Tight-Rope Walking, Brachiation.
Description: This is the skill of tumbling, jumping and other complex movements. This skill is often used in sports and athletic competitions, or as part of dance. Characters making acrobatics rolls can also reduce falling damage. The difficulty is based on the distance fallen, with the amount of damage reduced based on the degree of success.
    Distance Fallen = Difficulty
    1-3 Meters = Very Easy
    4-6 Meters = Easy
    7-9 Meters = Moderate
    10-12 Meters = Difficult
    13-15 Meters = Very Difficult
    16+ Meters = Heroic*

*+10 Difficulty for every 3 additional Meters

Degree of Success = Damage Reduction
    0-2 = -2
    3-5 = -1D+1
    6-8 = -2D
    9-11 = -2D+2
    12-14 = -3D+1
    15+ = -4D*

+2 pips for every 3 additional points of success.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some other ideas, for how this can be used, but the RAW is pretty bare on the details necessary to do things like increasing jumping distance in meters, ignoring obstacles of varying heights and such. I expect I'll be digging into D6 Space to see if it offers any help.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while we're at it...

(A) Martial Arts

Time to Use: One Round
Prerequisites: Brawling 5D, Brawling Parry 5D (Some Martial Arts Specializations may require other skills as Prerequisites, possibly including Melee Combat, Melee Parry, Dodge and others)
Specializations: Particular Martial Art style: Echani, Teras Kasi, K'tara, etc.
Description: Martial Arts covers a broad spectrum of formalized and distinct close combat styles, both armed and unarmed. For every 1D a character has in this skill, they may select one Hand-to-Hand Technique from the List found on pages 116-117 of Rules of Engagement.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you feel about the martial arts maneuvers from RoE?

I've always felt they were a mismatch with D6 play style. The idea (as presented by WEG) always felt like a contrived or forced solution.

Not knocking what you have here, just checking to see if you consider it the ideal solution.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

I've always felt they were a mismatch with D6 play style. The idea (as presented by WEG) always felt like a contrived or forced solution.

Not knocking what you have here, just checking to see if you consider it the ideal solution.

Generally, I agree. At the moment, I'm strongly considering shifting to an Unarmed version of Dueling Blades (Dueling Fists, perhaps?) where the result for an entire round of combat is decided by one or two opposed rolls, with the degree of success declared by the margin of victory. Under such a system, some of the results would no longer be applicable, while others would remain unchanged, and yet more others would be altered to fit. For example, I have a Disarm result chart in my Dueling Sabers rule, so the Disarm Maneuver from RoE could be altered so that selecting the Disarm Maneuver simply allows your character to declare that they're going to attempt to disarm their opponent that round.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something Shadowrun has done for a long time is that melee combat is a test that could go either way. So, I attack you with a Sword and you defend with a Lightsaber and we both roll our skills, and whoever rolls better is the one who hits.

It obviates the need for a Melee defense skill, but you might include the bonuses depending on different weapons (i.e. brawl against melee weapons takes a penalty)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what Dueling Sabers does: one opposed Melee roll to resolve an entire round of combat. However, it doesn't really allow for the sort of granularity needed to represent different forms, especially offensive vs. defensive ones. One option suggested elsewhere was to give each opponent one attack and one defense roll per round, subject to MAPs, so that a character could either mix attack and defense together, or go fully offensive or defensive.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
That's exactly what Dueling Sabers does: one opposed Melee roll to resolve an entire round of combat. However, it doesn't really allow for the sort of granularity needed to represent different forms, especially offensive vs. defensive ones. One option suggested elsewhere was to give each opponent one attack and one defense roll per round, subject to MAPs, so that a character could either mix attack and defense together, or go fully offensive or defensive.

Might steal from Dark Sun's Will and the Way and their psionic attacks v. defense rules... You pick a form and it gets bonuses and penalties against certain situations. So, if I'm fighting in Swordcut Style, but my opponent is using a Lightsaber (which Swordcut can't cut), I might have a penalty.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Generally, I agree. At the moment, I'm strongly considering shifting to an Unarmed version of Dueling Blades (Dueling Fists, perhaps?) where the result for an entire round of combat is decided by one or two opposed rolls, with the degree of success declared by the margin of victory. Under such a system, some of the results would no longer be applicable, while others would remain unchanged, and yet more others would be altered to fit. For example, I have a Disarm result chart in my Dueling Sabers rule, so the Disarm Maneuver from RoE could be altered so that selecting the Disarm Maneuver simply allows your character to declare that they're going to attempt to disarm their opponent that round.

Yeah, special maneuvers like that are hard to express in RPG rules. I find it especially difficult in D6.

The closest I've come to getting something that fits "cleanly" into D6 is some (not all) of my lightsaber form rules.

I feel like if martial arts is to be an advanced skill, it would be nice to see a few things:

Separate skills for different styles (stava, echani, teras kasi, etc.) which each provide unique benefits not a available in the other skills.

A system where the benefits of the advanced skill open up options not possible with the standard brawling skill (making mulltiple attacks at reduced penalty, for example. Think Jeff Speakman in "Perfect Weapon"). Another possibility would be--since you're using the RoE damage rules--that the advanced skill improves the hit roll overage conversion rate--perhaps for a single attack that counts as a full round action.

Anyway, those are just some ideas for things that take the rules that exist make a way for them to apply to the new thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: