The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Suicide Shipping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Suicide Shipping. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Suicide Shipping. Reply with quote

You have your players attacking a base or something, they happened to take two ships, they're getting beat down when one of the players all of a sudden calls a retreat, he has something in store for them, everyone gets a safe distance away, and he calls for the ship to drive into the base.

Now that would probably blow holes in your plan for the night, so my question to all you gms.......

Would you allow it?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, maybe you arn't giving enough information. So they hijack two ships to escape from the base, and one player makes a suicide run at the enemy base....

Other than an example of posthumous Force Points, I don't see anything wrong with it.
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no no, they didn't hijack any ships, it's there own ships. They are just attacking this place, and they are getting beat, i.e outnumbered - outgunned..

so one guy calls the retreat, they get a safe distance away, and have the computer in the ship redirect it's course strat to the base...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the party is losing a ship against the base, and... this actually throws a wrench in your plans as a GM?
Well now I feel unnusually prepared for just about everything to happen.

Hell, I'd roll for the base, the kind of ship, the resulting collision, any possible explosion damage, and how many people killed in the blast. This all leads to a wild number of diffrent results, and tons of possibilities afterward.
Allow it? I already knew how to roll for it!
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha well alrighty then, i was just wondering if any other gm would allow that....

one of our past GMs made my mercenary mad when they were attacking this place, so being the commander of the group called a retreit, told the ship to direct its course towards the following coordinates, and commense with ramming speed.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And did he simply say "You can't ram the ship into the base!"?

What were the end results, I'd love to hear it.
to finance my 'vette!
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you gotta understand, we have a megacorp business. His player is the Owner of the megacorp, our business is also a main military outlet for the New Republic, so when they want something done sneaky, they get us... and well, it didn't go so sneaky, and so he roleplayed it very well, i understood after he explained why not to do that.. he didn't want them to know exactly who was there, and driving my ship into it would leave debris for identification.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Suicide Shipping. Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
...and he calls for the ship to drive into the base. Now that would probably blow holes in your plan for the night, so my question to all you gms...Would you allow it?

Only if the PC drives it himself. Ship autopilots and droids cannot do this and NO NPC is going to do it. On his next character I'd penalize him one attribute die for suicide.
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have/alllow a character sacrifice his ship to destroy a base, but there are ways to point the ship at the ground, then bail. There's no reason to go down with it. Even if you're flying the ship, though, if the base has guns or shields, chances are they'll pick off an attack like this before it lands.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabre wrote:
Even if you're flying the ship, though, if the base has guns or shields, chances are they'll pick off an attack like this before it lands.

Agreed. Defensive turbolaser emplacements can really muck up a "Heroic Ramming" scene any day of the millenium. I would generally say simply instructing a ship's computer isn't enough either. The ship computers in Star Wars are not nearly as capable in ship'd operations as those in another popular, main stream, sci-fi show. I'd think the player would need to board the ship, set it on course, then maybe lock in the autopilot to try to maintain course while he bails. Unless he had purchased slave rigging for the ship to allow for remote operations?
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more along the lines of 'point nose down, let Isaac Newton fly from there'. Wink
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means, let them do it! One thing I've learned from my years of GMing is you shouldn't get too attached to your preconceived notions of how your adventure is supposed to happen. If the players throw a wrench on your plans, get that wrench and make an adventure out of it. If the players feel that their actions can really alter completely the course of the campaign, it will add tons of reality to the setting.

Like this one time I had a law enforcer lay a trap on my players, and they would have to fight the guards and then perform a daring escape hopping around in the Roche Asteroid Field and all that jazz. What happened when they got ambushed was that they simply decided to surrender and be sent to prision. It threw my whole adventure down the drain, but it opened up a comletely new one, they were arrested, went to trial, were convicted, and then a sleazy bothan senator offered them a deal to perform a secret mission for him and he would let them escape, and so on.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the Newtonian theory of piloting. I know it well.

The thing of the "suicide solution" has only occured once in my group. With my character, Captain Jack. This was actually the start of his reptation of isanity.

We faced off with some type of Customs ship, and were at a *BAD* stalemate. The "Straight Arrow" ( http://deckplans.00sf.com/Corellispace/Gymsnor-3.html ) was too tough for the Customs ships guns to penetrate, and her Popgun (She was still stock then) was too weak to penetrate the Customs ship.

So, finally, "Screw this, I'm going to ram 'em!" "WHAT???"

Captain Jack knew his old girl could handle anything this "Paste-And-Glue Imperial Special" could offer. It wasn't a "Suicide" idea, in his mind. Just a way to finish the fight, as they were in a touch of a hurry, and couldn't leave until the Customs ship was gone.

I only glanced 'em, IIRC, but it made 'em think twice about picking a fight with someone insane enough to do something like that.

It was the start of Captain Jack and his collisions. And my reputation of smashing every vechicle in an RPG that I piloted/drove.
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell.. If an A-wing pilot can accidentally take down the Executor.

I says let 'em have their collision.

Of course it'll be their fault when the "secret dark droid blueprints" they were hoping to *cough* liberate from the base are incinerated along with it Razz
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or after they use it a few times, start having NPCS use it against them..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: