The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Making a ship a home
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Making a ship a home Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deacon Rayne wrote:
I like the idea of purchasing upgrades for a ship that allows for on-site training and lower CP costs for advancement. My campaign is very much influenced by things like Firefly, Mass Effect, and Cowboy Bebop. Their Vessel (A mid bulk transport) is very much going to be their home. Can we discuss this concept further or is there further reading I should be doing on the subject?

In a campaign I'm currently running, the group is likely going to set themselves up as a small mercenary company contracting with the Rebellion. I imagine they'll end up with some sort of bulk freighter converted into a mobile command base with ample training facilities on it. I would also be interested in what ideas the community has.

Last edited by Raven Redstar on Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
In a campaign I'm currently running, the group is likely going to set themselves up as a small mercenary company contracting with the Rebellion. I imagine they'll end up with some sort of bulk freighter converted into a mobile command base with ample training facilities on it. I would also be interested in what ideas the community has.

How big of a bulk freighter are we talking here?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Without being part of that game I can assume something like the action series ( Wild Karrde) Action V and the other similar ones.

Now as to making a ship a home, how could a warship, lets say a small corvette like a blockade runner work?

The good thing about a ship that size as a home/base is that you can use it as some derelict, some wreck.

I had a campaign where a party decided to make parts of a wrecked imperial cruiser their base for a while, they managed some basic storage space, even some space for a speeder and more than enough to live in, as well as managing one of the point defense guns operational getting a "turret" one their little base.

Unfortunately the campaing halted shortly after due to the normal real life so for now the base stopped developing from that.

But I can see with a level of automation or the "right" type ship to actually use a warship as a base.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

They haven't picked it up yet, but probably an Action Series or the Brayl Bulk Freighter. So something in the 75,000 - 90,000 ton range.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of the Brayl, but if they go with the Action, the guys at Deckplans Alliance have an incomplete floor plan to work with (Here's the link to my copy on Google Drive).

This got me thinking about Clive Cussler's Oregon Files, where the protagonists use a dilapidated-looking tramp freighter as their transport / base of operations. It's basically a high-tech Q-ship, complete with modern missiles, torpedoes, some cannon and point defense weaponry. I've considered off and on what such a ship would look like in the SWU...

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shows up in one of the Instant Adventures. I spotted it in Gry's Starship Stats.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Brayl-class_bulk_freighter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
The good thing about a ship that size as a home/base is that you can use it as some derelict, some wreck.

I had a campaign where a party decided to make parts of a wrecked imperial cruiser their base for a while, they managed some basic storage space, even some space for a speeder and more than enough to live in, as well as managing one of the point defense guns operational getting a "turret" one their little base.

Reminds me of the ProfitSmasher write-up from the WEG D6 book Hideouts and Strongholds. I hope your party had more luck with their base than the people who tried to make the ProfitSmasher their base of operations. The ProfitSmasher had a notorious reputation for being jinxed....
Deacon Rayne
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
It shows up in one of the Instant Adventures. I spotted it in Gry's Starship Stats.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Brayl-class_bulk_freighter

Found stats in the D6 Holocron but not a great deal of background information on the vessel itself or deck plans. The wiki entry is depressingly sparse. :\
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckplans were not West End Game's forte.

The ship stats are taken from "The Argovian Strike". It's a throwaway ship that the players use to infiltrate a planet by posing as workers aboard the ship.

Last edited by Raven Redstar on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he core rules cover the basics but I believe either (or both) Platt's Guide or Pirates and Privateers had a lot of information too.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Deckplans were not West End Game's forte.

Too true. And unfortunate, as deck plans are extremely helpful when it comes to characters visualizing their surroundings, especially considering how much time they spend on their own ship.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dph wrote:
he core rules cover the basics but I believe either (or both) Platt's Guide or Pirates and Privateers had a lot of information too.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at those and see what kinds of ideas they have. I know they've got lots of mods and extras, but I thought almost all of them were specifically for smuggling or specifically for pirating, not so much for making the ship more comfortable or offering training facilities.

On the subject of training facilities, I was thinking about having a version of "The Box" from Clone Wars for training soldiers in a hazard course firing range.

Does anyone have an idea how much something like that would cost? The Empire designed a version of it for "The Well" in Star Wars: Rebels, and Count Dooku had a nearly limitless source of credits.

I'm thinking you can segment off a portion of your cargo bay to install one of those, sacrificing a percentage of cargo capacity, then charge a fee per ton, maybe 10,000 per ton on a freighter, and 1,000 per ton on a capital ship.

So, if you took 1/4 of the tonnage on a Brayl-class: 18,750 tons x 1,000 credits, it'd cost 18 million? And could be occupied by 1 soldier at a time per 50 tons of space? Meaning that 18,750 ton "Box" could be used to train 375 soldiers simultaneously.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My internet was acting up, here are links to the various tests in "The Box".

The First Test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qff1jrWj-4k

The 2nd Test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yU5NEkOC4

The 3rd Test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvqN2VHOJFA

The Final Test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wAOus0Erjc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: