The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combining Fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combining Fire Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Combining Fire Reply with quote

This came up in the other thread about difficulty of parrying blasters.

Here's an idea to make combined fire better represent what it does in real life.

Well, I'd suggest the following in that case:

Combined actions in combat can be performed as long as the participants' tactics skill is high enough (actual skill level requirement determined by complexity of maneuver).

Anyone who does not meet the tactics requirement can still shoot, but they don't contribute to the combined action (their action is separate) unless another character wants to take a MAP to command them into the group.

The character with the highest skill (or, the character with the best line of sight... GM's call) rolls the primary attack roll. Each participant contributes a bonus. The bonus is equal to +1 for each D the character has in tactics (this represents the character's ability maximize the situational value of his firepower). For example, shooter 1 has 5D in blaster, and shooter 2 has 4D in tactics. Shooter 1 rolls 5D and adds a +4 bonus on his attack roll.

And when combining fire to increase damage:

Each character participating must be "in the loop" with regard to the objective (apply brute force firepower to overcome an otherwise impenetrable target). Any characters who have not received instructions or who just don't know exactly why/what they are shooting do not contribute to the combined effect.

A command roll is made as per the normal rules (alternatively, the number of personnel included could be difficulty-based, rather than skill level based).

Each shooter must make a successful attack roll on the "weak spot" of the target. Once all hits have been calculated, roll damage. For each successful attack roll, increase the damage by 1D. Each 1D of bonus damage is reduced by 1 pip for each scale level the target is larger than the shooters.

In any case, only a single damage roll is made.

Note that if shooting at a character who chooses to dodge, the shooters have two options: either combine fire to increase the attack roll (making it harder to dodge) or, if they want to combine damage, they must all wait until the lowest initiative in their group to fire (which may give the target an opportunity to escape or attack first or whatever). A third option would be to just each shoot as individuals using the normal rules.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since storm troopers all don't have the tactics skill, just a base 2d know, would that mean they couldn't combine fire, as they are not tactically savvy enough?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, using the WEG stats for stuff is kinda iffy.

There is a lot of skills that military type personnel should have but don't.

Since this is a house rule, it would require the GM to reason what a storm trooper's tactics skill should be.

I say there are two ways to look at this.

1) Does the GM consider storm troopers to be cannon fodder? If so, let them have 2D+1 tactics and be done with it.... or, just disallow combining fire (since they are basically disposable meat sacks anyway... doesn't really matter how tactical they are... they're just a speed bump for the PCs, ultimately).

2) Does the GM consider stomries to be "elite" and more skilled than regular Imperial army soldiers? If so, they need a completely new stat block (IMO), such that a squad of stormies is approximately equivalent in capability to a group of about 4 starting PCs, and could collectively play the role of an adventure's BBEG (for the first two or three adventures, anyway).

One of the ways we always played was to allow stormies to combine fire absent a commander since they are "elite."
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would come down to what you feel the game philosophy behind the combined fire is.

Is it a tactical maneuver to gain a definite advantage in a combat situation?

or

Is it a simplification meant to allow the GM to let a bunch of rank and file mooks all conduct their fire with a single attack roll, acknowledging that with more shooting the chances of at least one of the shots connecting...as a simple matter of odds is better?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that it's the latter because of the rules given for it:

By RAW, it requires a command roll, which means that someone has to be "smart enough" to make combined fire work. Take out the commander, and you take away the GM's ability to combine fire.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But its not just npcs who use it. I often see pcs combining fire. And not every PC has tactics..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why its a house rule. In my opinion, combining fire is the PURPOSE (or, one of the purposes) of "tactics."

The idea of tactics is to maximize the effectiveness of the resources (human and otherwise) at your disposal.

Groups who want to combine fire would need to understand how to make use of timing, angles, movements and other variables in order to create a situational advantage.

By this house rule, combining fire means you must have tactics (instead of command... the PCs would just put the CPs they spent on command into tactics).

Command would still be useful, but for non-combat tasks.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would not the officer/Squadleader's tactics skill be the one used to allow the unit the combined fire action?

Now while the basic trooper does have a flat 2d to tactics, it ould not be unreasonable that squad leaders do have at least a pip or two in tactics as well as in command.

Also as of the current canon, sergeant is a "commisioned" rank, and to me indicate a level of tactics and command training.

officers do have this.

now a group of 4 or 1000 troopers with no leaders or officers then sure I would not allow them a combined fire, but with a squad leader I would use the sqaud leader tactics skill and apply this to the unit for combined fire
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Also as of the current canon, sergeant is a "commisioned" rank...
From a what do words mean in the real world perspective, that seems odd. What's the source for this?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
From a what do words mean in the real world perspective, that seems odd. What's the source for this?

I am quite sure it was from the recent comics, Solo Imperial Cadet I think

His training Officer, dressed in OFFICER uniform with what looks like 2 blue squares and code cylinders is a sergeant.

Now I may have been mistaken with the commisioned part, but I am quite sure I have that too from the new canon.

However it appears that stormtrooper sergeants use the whipe pouldron, and while out of armor the same black uniform as officers, though their chest lacks the rank plaques and cylinders of the officer ranks.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Bren wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

His training Officer, dressed in OFFICER uniform with what looks like 2 blue squares and code cylinders is a sergeant.

Now I may have been mistaken with the commisioned part, but I am quite sure I have that too from the new canon.

However it appears that stormtrooper sergeants use the whipe pouldron, and while out of armor the same black uniform as officers, though their chest lacks the rank plaques and cylinders of the officer ranks.

Warrant Officer perhaps?
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
Bren wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

Warrant Officer perhaps?

maybe, the point was tat squad leaders and ncos and officers all reasonably have at least between +1 and +1D tactics and command, and using these to give the squad combined fire ability makes sense.

If however 4 stormtroopers do not have a "leader" meaning someone with comman and tactics then no they should not be allowed a tactical maneuver which combined fire is.

But as long as there is a squad leader present, then yes the squad does have the combine fire ability
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Would not the officer/Squadleader's tactics skill be the one used to allow the unit the combined fire action?

Now while the basic trooper does have a flat 2d to tactics, it ould not be unreasonable that squad leaders do have at least a pip or two in tactics as well as in command.

Also as of the current canon, sergeant is a "commisioned" rank, and to me indicate a level of tactics and command training.

officers do have this.

now a group of 4 or 1000 troopers with no leaders or officers then sure I would not allow them a combined fire, but with a squad leader I would use the sqaud leader tactics skill and apply this to the unit for combined fire

Long before I achieved an NCO rank, I had plenty of tactical knowledge and proficiency. In the US Army, the rule is, every troop should know the job two positions higher than his own.

This doesn't mean that a private is as competent as his squad leader, but rather, that in the event that the squad leader and team leaders are not available (dead, injured, whatever), that the squad can still function.

Think about it like this:

In a live fire fight, does it make more sense to micro manage each individual trooper, telling each person, individually, one at a time, where to go, where to shoot, and what rate of fire to use? That would take several rounds in game time before the first soldier even got his full instructions, let alone 9 or 10 guys.

Or, if the squad leader can just use some predetermined code word, like "battle drill 1-alpha", then all the fire teams know what to do, but ONLY if they know what battle drill 1-alpha is (that is, they have trained on tactics).

If a sergeant says, "Alpha team, use those rocks as cover and lay down a base of fire; Bravo team, flank on the left and sweep through," but every single person doesn't know exactly what that means, then it's not going to work very well. If the team leader is savvy enough, he can make excellent decisions with minimal instruction from the squad leader, and so on. Hence why tactical knowledge is what actually enhances a character's ability to function in a group or to recognize when he has a tactical advantage or how to mitigate/negate an enemy's tactical advantage, etc.

Last edited by Naaman on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up, there are standardized ways in which to respond to various situations.

Such as:

React to near ambush
React to far ambush
Set an ambush
Break contact
Assault the objective

And so on.

A character who needs to rely on his squad leader every single time he encounters the enemy is only a liability, not an asset.

The functions listed above are basic infantry doctrines. Being eligible to perform them should require any participant to have 3D in tactics (must have the skill, regardless of what the knowledge attribute is). But an infantryman would have 4D in tactics (or, more appropriately, 4D in a specialization of tactics such as land warfare, infantry tactics or something similar).

Unless you feel that trained soldiers are just cannon fodder, which, in some armies, they are.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

officers do have this.

Long before I achieved an NCO rank, I had plenty of tactical knowledge and proficiency. In the US Army, the rule is, every troop should know the job two positions higher than his own.

This doesn't mean that a private is as competent as his squad leader, but rather, that in the event that the squad leader and team leaders are not available (dead, injured, whatever), that the squad can still function.

Same in the navy. And its been that way IRL for donkey's years. Hence why privates could get 'field promotions' and Still be good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: