The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

5 Below Madness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections -> 5 Below Madness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: 5 Below Madness Reply with quote

So umm I've discovered 5 Below is currently awash with Star Wars toys. I have hoarded for my kids' future playing, pretty decent selection of 3.75" SOLO and TLJ figures, as well as some Micro Machines for TFA and two of the Forces of Destiny dolls. For the unfamiliar, they're like American Girl meets Star Wars.

The Black Series, and some of the SOLO 12" figures, is also turning up 5 Below though I haven't bought any.

This is the same store where I found the strange unarticulated four part ROTJ line.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding elsewhere that a lot of people don't know what 5 Below is. Basically, they sell slightly outdated stuff, and everything in the store is $5 or less.

So I am picking up multi-packs of SOLO figures, or the big 12" Princess dolls, for $5. Single figures for SOLO, R1, or TLJ are $4, and Kylo Ren with a Force Link activator is also $5. I basically buy one of each unique SKU I find for the 3.75" line, plus a second Force Link reader thingy cause I know my kids will both want one and they'll fight over just one Kylo anyways. They really like any mean SOB with a red lightsaber.

I also picked up one of each 12" figure because, why not? If my daughter turns out to be utterly disinterested I figure they'll go to a xmas toy drive at some point.

Also for anyone looking, Hasbro has their own eBay store and a lot of the multi-packs and such are deeply discounted, with free shipping easily attained. I snagged some more stuff on there.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug out my giant plastic tote of carded 3.75 action figures and checked what I have and need. I still need single-carded 3.75 figures of: K-2SO, L3-37, and young Lando. I might get Tobias Beckett and Rio Durant for cheap. I'd get a Qi'ra if they had her Kessel outfit figure, but did they even make that? I don't want the scrumrat outfit.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory I might find some of those for you, I will keep an eye out. Several of those were in the assortment that 5B was stocking but what's in shops is picked over somewhat.

They have young Lando paired with a Kessel guard as a $5 twinpack in stores near me if you want one.

So far I have hoarded, for future bdays/xmas/etc, twinpacks of a muddy Han & Chewie , Lando & Kessel Guard, and Thug & Corellian Hound, along with a singly carded Val. For TLJ I got 2x Kylo with Force Reader, plus singly carded General Leia, Hermit Luke, 2 different Rey outfits, and DJ. Snagged a Jeddha Jyn Erso too.

Hasbro's eBay store is pretty good too. http://www.ebaystores.com/hasbrotoyshop/_i.html?_nkw=force+link&
They have K2 and some of the other stuff you mentioned. Personally I snagged a deeply discounted 4 pack of Qira in bellbottoms, Han in extra furry parka, Weazel, and a train guard. Also a 2 pack of Baze and Chirrut, and a 4 pack of Rey, Rose, and 2 different 1st Order flunkies, and a 3 pack of disguised Rose, BB8, and umm, evil BB8? I not exactly collecting for completeness, just trying to hit a certain critical mass for play value for a given movie/era/etc. at minimum cost. So clearanced out mulit-packs are ideal for my purposes.

What's online for 5 Below is apparently a little different than what's in stores. They still have Tobias, Val, Rey and Kylo online:
https://www.fivebelow.com/star-wars-trade-force-link-2-0-figurine.html
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a good dad. Even though my son has tons of Star Wars and superhero action figures, he doesn't play with figures too often anymore, like maybe once last year. I don't get them for him anymore, but Santa brought him a six-inch Black series phase-ii Commander Fox clonetrooper just to put it on display. It does look very cool. He says it is his favorite non-film SW character.

I have a loose figure display on top of my bookshelves but I think I'm done with getting SW figures for that. For my collection of unopened figures, I hate two-packs and multi-packs. I want the single figure I want on a card. I saw the Lando with the Kessel guard when the movie was in the theater and passed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember these multi-pcks from the 80's? Surely we all must love these or we are Bad Star War Fans. They were cheap, like $2, and the cardback was plain cardboard.
https://imgur.com/hCZohBe
https://imgur.com/R9wQ1sU

I only remember actually buying one of them as a kid, a 3-PO/Guard one, like this lucky collector has displayed. It was quite an important find for me in 1986. I had gotten the Ewok Village for Christmas but we didn't have a 3PO to put in the wooden throne. We already had a Gamorrean Guard, but, that's a good figure to have two of.

My personal experience of the Kenner line was odd. I was into it when it was on its way out. So it was generally marked down, meaning the sheer amount of stuff I got was enormous, but, also kind of randomly selected for me by fate.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage double-packs still on the cards for $2? I had a college roommate who still had his Ewok village and I saw it one time.

I think my last vintage figure was RotJ black-suited Luke. When I was in 6th grade, I gave just about all my vintage action figures to my little brother who lost or destroyed them all. Today I only have two loose vintage figures: The original 1979 proof-of-purchase Boba Fett, and the elusive Blue Snaggletooth which was traded from a friend who had the Mos Eisley Cantina set it came in. They are both in pretty good condition (Fett has some play wear, Snaggletooth's silver boot paint is fading).

In my 20s I started collecting with the 1995 Hasbro relaunch figures (PotF red cards) just out of pure nostalgia. When the better sculpts of the green cards came out later, I sold most of the figures to get the newer ones (I think my only red cards left are Artoo and Threepio because they weren't "heroic proportions"). I'm pretty sure I was done getting CT and PT characters before the Disney movies and characters came out. I have several TFA figures. I only have one TLJ figure, Jedi Master Luke. I have my TRoS 6" Threepio w/ Babu Frik.

My figure tote is pretty full. If I rearrange my figures I may be able to get a few more in, but I really don't want to get a bigger tote or a second tote. I really just want to be done buying figures.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they were $2 back in the day. Nowadays they go for a lot more.

My main toy collecting focus is around Marx dinosaurs actually. Most of the Star Wars stuff I buy is for the kids.

I have one vintage figure on card: Squidhead. I sold my other 6 or so a few years back, to buy a crossbow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Commerce and Collections All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: