The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bacta Consumption and Replenishment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Bacta Consumption and Replenishment Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Bacta Consumption and Replenishment Reply with quote

Per the RAW, bacta doesn't appear to have an expiration date. There is no discussion of how much of it is used up when taking advantage of its healing properties. Yet the background of bacta strongly suggests otherwise; how can there be a thriving bacta industry on the planet Thyferra, complete with massive bacta tankers hauling the fluid around the galaxy, if bacta constitutes a perpetual healing potion that never runs out?

One piece of evidence in the X-Wing series suggests that the Krytos Virus was specifically formulated to consume large amounts of bacta in the process of curing its victims. So it makes sense that some bacta would be lost in the process of healing. The question is, how much? Should a bacta tank have a certain number of "charges", like a multi-use medpac, that once exhausted must be replenished before the bacta tank can be used again?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always treated Bacta as a complete consumable.

If a person is immersed in a bacta tank...that fluid is disposed of afterward. One of the reasons they are so expensive to run and why more conventional healing measures are often taken when it's more economical.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of got discussed in this thread
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
This kind of got discussed in this thread

Thanks for posting that 2009-10 discussion here. I closed that thread and edited a link into the final post to this discussion.

How many uses out of a ton of Bacta??
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bacta Consumption and Replenishment Reply with quote

The thread garhkal shared has some fan-suggested Bacta pricing. I just scanned the REUP Medical Sourcebook for every reference of the word Bacta and I didn't see a single reference to Bacta pricing except that it was expensive.

Dredwulf60 wrote:

If a person is immersed in a bacta tank...that fluid is disposed of afterward.

I completely agree. And the thought of reusing Bacta for a different patient is just gross!

I don't feel Bacta should be that cheap. I've dealt with the Bacta trade in my game but I don't remember any pricing I used and could not find any notes for that. It's a galactic economy with so many possible local and temporal factors, so I use that excuse a lot to just wing it for pricing things. In my next campaign the tramp freighter captain will be an NPC and the PCs won't handle money much. A lot of the money will be "handled" offscreen. But it would be nice to have some general base pricing to work with so I'm interested in seeing what you guys come up with.

Dredwulf60 wrote:
If a person is immersed in a bacta tank...that fluid is disposed of afterward. One of the reasons they are so expensive to run and why more conventional healing measures are often taken when it's more economical.

That makes sense to me, and it is odd that RAW never had any medical treatment other than first aid and bacta tank immersion. I came up with some surgery and medical treatment rules that is effectively enhanced natural healing (so it requires both medicine rolls from the surgeon and healing rolls from the patient).

Healing and Medicine
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bacta Consumption and Replenishment Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

If a person is immersed in a bacta tank...that fluid is disposed of afterward.

I completely agree. And the thought of reusing Bacta for a different patient is just gross!

But there is mention of needing to add bacta to some sort of base solution in order to make it work. I can see the base solution being reused, with appropriate filtration, to remove whatever is left when the bacta is expended and cycle it back into the tank. Percentage of bacta infusion when in use is likely one of the manual control settings for the tanks's operator (if a Bacta Tank requires a Heroic First Aid skill roll, there's no way it's as simple as putting someone in the tank and hitting the Start button).

So, if bacta is just a fraction of the chemical content of the base solution, it makes it a lot simpler for gaming purposes if the bacta is just a few hundred liters in a separate storage tank that gets added as needed without requiring a massive separate storage tank. Having it consume x amount of liters for every wound level healed is a simple enough way to track consumption without having to fill up the entire ship with bacta just to have it available.

And yes, it is gross, but starships with limited storage volume are going to be recycling air and bodily fluids anyway. A freshwater-poor ship can't afford to just flush all the "gross" stuff overboard because of individual squeamishness; after all, there's a good chance that glass of water you had recently with dinner passed through the digestive and urinary tracts of at least one other creature on this planet at some point.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth noting that, per the novel The Bacta War, bacta tank facilities have some pretty intensive recovery systems post-usage, even going so far as to suction bacta residue out of the patient's ears. Considering we can't see what's above the tank in ESB, I expect there's some sort of overflow mechanism, ala the gutters on a public pool or something, to minimize loss due to splashing. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the shorts Luke is wearing in the tank are run through a dryer of some kind to extract residue, as well.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, found a reference in Wedge's Gamble (X-Wing Book 2). When discussing the Krytos Virus, Ysanne Isard states the following:
    "Which means they will require unbelievably vast amounts of bacta. Just stabilizing a Krytos victim in the disease's incubation period - before the virus has begun to reproduce out of control - will result in the loss of a full liter of bacta. That doesn't seem like much, of course, since a bacta tank holds considerably more than that, but the losses will become significant as the disease spreads. Total production on Thyferra last year was seventeen billion liters. The amount needed to treat all the victims here on Imperial Center will require three quarters of last year's production. At the current prices for bacta, saving everyone they can will bankrupt the Rebellion."

Seventeen billion liters sounds like a lot, but based on the calculations on the linked discussion above, it works out to around 8.5 million bacta tank fill-ups galaxy-wide in a standard year. That isn't nearly enough to cover planet-wide demand across the galaxy.

Something else I noticed, however, is that the synthetic solution in the tank does not appear to have the same density as water. If it had the same density, a human would float in it, yet if you look closely, Luke is suspended under his arms by straps that are used to pull him up out of the tank. The fluid must be less dense than water, such that a human would sink in it instead of floating to the top. That has implications when discussing cargo weight and volume when installing a bacta tank on a starship.

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bacta Reply with quote

I am well aware of the realities of Earth's water cycle. Except for some new water that has continued to arrive here from meteors, Earth has all the same water it ever has since the rise of water-based life forms here. We don't just drink water that has been digested by other creatures - We drink water that was part of living creatures' cells.

And I completely agree that the bacta tank solution is not pure bacta. I meant that the bacta is not reused - The water is recycled like all water on starships, including human waste. (This year I designed a ship and accounted for its water recycling system, including maintenance access for it and water storage.) It does make sense that the amount of bacta in the solution would depend on the wound level, but I see some of the bacta is absorbed by the body in the cellular replenishment and repair process. What bacta is not absorbed is loaded with dead cellular material. Regardless of the technobabble, I've always seen bacta as a complete consumable. The bacta economy includes high demand.

As far as the bacta tank scene in TESB, we can't see Luke feet until he is being raised up out of it, so it is very likely that when they filmed it one or both of his feet were tied down so he wouldn't float up. Sure, we can say that in-universe the bacta solution could have a lower density than water, but the air bubbles inside of it behave exactly like they would in water (as well as Luke's body when he is moving upward). The most likely reason for that is because it was just plain water when they filmed it. Really the whole vertically-oriented bacta tank on Hoth just makes no sense to me. Yes we can't see what's above it but it seems that getting injured patients into it (and later out) would be a lot more trouble. And the bacta tank goes right into the ceiling, so there must be an upper level component to the med bay on the Hoth base. That wouldn't always be practical (or available) in a lot of places. In my SWU, most bacta tanks are horizontally-oriented, thus more like glass coffins. The only reason I can even justify vertical tanks would be if you just didn't have the space for a horizontal tank (and had the space for the "upstairs" entry/exit). It is likely that the only reason the film's bacta tank is vertically-oriented is the real-world cinematic concern that it was a cooler visual that way. I don't see any reason why the bacta solution isn't mostly water, and the Hoth base bacta tank is the exception rather than the rule. (In-universe, there could have been an off-screen ankle strap holding Luke down that was loosened when he was pulled up.)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're partially reinventing Legends continuity here.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
You're partially reinventing Legends continuity here.

I don't think you are directing this completely at me, but I may be included. I personally am not really reinventing Legends per se. I am not even going into the detail that Legends does because it was never really important to me exactly how bacta worked. So more than reinventing Legends, for me it is more choosing to incorporate or disregard aspects of it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, my primary motivation is to retain as much of the old EU as possible if I can find a way to include it that is non-contradictory. Many of my nerd rage moments come when I encounter "unforced errors" on the part of the Lucasfilm story group that trample over some aspect of the old EU just to replace it with something silly, shallow and/or derivative in the Nu-Canon.

In this case, I default to the details we get from the X-Wing series because it is one of the few EU sources that dealt with bacta in a rational way, and none of it contradicts with what we know of bacta in the films.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sticking with vertical tanks and the better visual. On the plus side for the patient, I imagine a vertical tanks is less claustrophobic and less like climbing into a wet coffin than a horizontal tank. But really its all about the visual.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about this thread as I was scooping cat litter, and refilling the pan. Coincidentally, it's kept under the fish tank, which works similarly.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
To clarify, my primary motivation is to retain as much of the old EU as possible if I can find a way to include it that is non-contradictory.

It's your MO, but thanks for stating it outright for the less initiated. It's not a bad cause.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Many of my nerd rage moments come when I encounter "unforced errors" on the part of the Lucasfilm story group that trample over some aspect of the old EU just to replace it with something silly, shallow and/or derivative in the Nu-Canon.

That's cool, but as I often reply: the Lucasfilm Story Group is just a new name for the same old, same old continuity department that has just continued from the EU days. The trampling is nothing new, as the EU often unnecessarily trampled over itself. Thus your MO above, but my point here is this is nothing new and not only the realm of the new canon.

Has there been anything in the new canon that has replaced with something silly for bacta and/or bacta tanks in particular? Wookieepedia's canon articles on bacta and bacta tanks say almost nothing about them.

CRMcNeill wrote:
In this case, I default to the details we get from the X-Wing series because it is one of the few EU sources that dealt with bacta in a rational way, and none of it contradicts with what we know of bacta in the films.

I did read The Bacta War novel a long time ago. I don't remember a lot of it now, but I don't remember thinking there were any contradictions to bacta in the film.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: