The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bacta Consumption and Replenishment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Bacta Consumption and Replenishment Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
On the plus side for the patient, I imagine a vertical tanks is less claustrophobic and less like climbing into a wet coffin than a horizontal tank.

I wouldn't think that horizontally-oriented tanks would be that claustrophobic to a lot of beings because the tanks are still made of glass, especially if this is a largely ubiquitous technology that has been been around for a while.

And patients would usually be unconscious while in it. 2-1B woke Luke up right before it was time to remove him. Luke acted like he didn't know he had been in there before that.

Bren wrote:
I'm sticking with vertical tanks and the better visual... But really its all about the visual.

Are you making a fan film or do you just mean the mental visuals of roleplaying? Healing time is usually "offscreen" so I wouldn't think that even the mental visual of the bacta tank would ever be that important. Unless you are going for some dramatic scene like...

Quote:
GM: OK, so you run to the med center to see if your buddy survived his ship being shot down during the battle. The blast door opens to reveal a busy room filled beyond capacity of injured soldiers, those supporting them, and droids in motion. Through the hubbub you make out... a burned Sullustan male floating in a bacta tank, just like Luke on Hoth. A medical droid like 2-1B turns to you and states, "If you are not injured, please leave."
Player: He made it!

If you're going for something like that, yeah I can see why the mental visual may matter. Otherwise, I don't see how the bacta tank orientation visual would normally matter. Offscreen healing or not, a vertical bacta tank will almost always be less practical. Since the mental visual would hardly matter in the game, the practicality of horizontal bacta tanks wins out for me.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I wouldn't think that horizontally-oriented tanks would be that claustrophobic to a lot of beings because the tanks are still made of glass, especially if this is a largely ubiquitous technology that has been been around for a while.
Being stuck in a coffin-like object seems creepier than being stuck in a closet-like object, especially if there's a Star Wars version of Poe's "The Premature Burial." And glass coffins are a thing.

re: ubiquity of tech: I don't think technology eliminates phobias.

Quote:
And patients would usually be unconscious while in it.
True, but its not a dreamless sleep.

Quote:
Are you making a fan film or do you just mean the mental visuals of roleplaying?
Mental image. Possibly a scene. Possibly a mental image or discussion about mostly off-screen activities.

I like your dramatic scene.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both vertical and horizontal tanks. For one thing, putting a vertical tank into a single-deck space transport is going to be awfully hard to justify; how is the occupant supposed to get in/out without poking through the ship's hull?

Maybe a smaller version of the healing tank from the Starship Troopers film? The description of bacta tanks mentions that "The attending physician can use the bacta tank's computers to add skin-contact medicines to the bacta fluid, inject medicines into the patient's bloodstream, or dispense medicines orally." Using droid armatures or nanomachines to perform surgery in the tank isn't a huge step from that point.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Maybe a smaller version of the healing tank from the Starship Troopers film?
Thanks. I vaguely had in mind a couple of other visuals of a vertical tank. That was one of them. Though looking at a few of the images the Star Ship Troopers tank, it seems to be octagonal and wider than it is tall, but still seems to use the vertical entry/exit method of a bacta tank.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Whill wrote:
I wouldn't think that horizontally-oriented tanks would be that claustrophobic to a lot of beings because the tanks are still made of glass, especially if this is a largely ubiquitous technology that has been been around for around for a while.
Being stuck in a coffin-like object seems creepier than being stuck in a closet-like object, especially if there's a Star Wars version of Poe's "The Premature Burial." And glass coffins are a thing.

Glass coffins. And this discussion has taken an odd turn already. I don't mean to agitate your claustrophobia. I harbor a few other phobias myself. But the mere existence of (and rare usage) of glass coffins in the real world should not be a detergent to having horizontal bacta tanks in an RPG taking place in a fictional universe. The glass in the tank is clear so the greater room is fully visible. Light comes into a glass tank from all around. In either orientation, the bacta tank is larger than a coffin. This is nothing like asking someone to get into a smaller, opaque, dark "healing coffin".

Also, real world coffin phobias probably aren't common in Star Wars because coffins probably aren't common. I would imagine that cremation, or some higher tech form of it, would be the most common thing done with dead bodies in Star Wars.

Bren wrote:
re: ubiquity of tech: I don't think technology eliminates phobias.

Sure ubiquity of technologies greatly reduces phobic reactions to them. When motorized vehicles were new, many people feared riding in them, even though they traveled slower than running horses. As cars became more common, fear of riding in them lessened. I have aviophobia fueled by acrophobia. In the single smaller plane I flew in I felt more turbulence, so I had more anxiety. All my other flying experiences have been in larger planes where I have felt less turbulence. The technology of the more common (in my experience) larger planes helps me feel better about flying.

Also, a bacta tank is a medical technology where drugs can be introduced to a patient. I'm sure Star Wars has diazepam or something better for patients who really need it.

Bren wrote:
Quote:
And patients would usually be unconscious while in it.
True, but its not a dreamless sleep.

I'm not sure if this is based on SW publication sources or just your own opinion. Do androids dream of electronic sheep? Do bacta patients dream of being in bacta tanks? That's an interesting comment but quite beside the point. My point was, if a patient is unconscious when they are put into the tank and remain unconscious until they are pulled out of it, they won't know they are in a bacta tank until they are being pulled out it.

The bottom line is, I would think rare claustrophobic reactions would not significantly factor into the bacta tank orientation. And for the rare cases where an extremely claustrophobic patient wakes up to become aware they are in a bacta tank, medication can easily be introduced to treat that symptom. Star Wars has a much higher tech than our world, and untreated phobias are probably extremely rare.

But if you feel vertical tanks are better for your SWU, then more power to you. I was only responding to your comments about horizontal being bad in general just due to phobias. These rare phobic reactions being worsened by a horizontal orientation would not outweigh the impracticality of a vertical design in my SWU.

Bren wrote:
Mental image. Possibly a scene. Possibly a mental image or discussion about mostly off-screen activities.

I like your dramatic scene.

I thought that might be something like what you were going for with the visual aspect.

CRMcNeill wrote:
I can see both vertical and horizontal tanks. For one thing, putting a vertical tank into a single-deck space transport is going to be awfully hard to justify; how is the occupant supposed to get in/out without poking through the ship's hull?

Exactly.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
...the impracticality of a vertical design in my SWU.
It's always interesting which impractical element of Star Wars tech ends up bugging someone.

Tall bacta tanks don't come close to rising to that level for me. Space Slugs on the other hand....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: