The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars art that begs for stats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> Star Wars art that begs for stats. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Star Wars art that begs for stats. Reply with quote

There is a lot of effort that goes into adapting vehicles and equipment seen in the movies and other official sources into useful D6 stats.

But this thread is for really interesting artwork and concepts that might be useful to players in their games, if only to really expand the size and scope of your galaxy.

Offer up some interesting stats?
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ilmchallenge.artstation.com/survivors/11154/

art by Rudy Parfaite

On this page there is a large-wheeled vehicle in the snow...

And a 'dagobah swamp walker'.

While CRMcneil points out the walker's exposed cabin...there is lots of precedent for vehicles without much protection, especially if they are initially seen as merely aides to getting around in exotic landscapes. (The AT-OT comes to mind.)

Edit: looking closer at it, it appears that the armored walls of the cabin have rotated up to allow egress/observation. The notch in the cover would appear to line up with the rungs suggesting a smaller hatch when the covers are closed.

What would these things look like in D6?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just that; there doesn't appear to be a cockpit period. As in, there does not appear to be anywhere for an actual driver to sit and operate the vehicle. If anything, this thing looks more like a large droid that serves as transportation for the scouts.

Of the ones you posted in the other topic, they all have serious practicality issues that the Rule of Cool can only do so much to offset. The Rebel Armored Transport, for example, has no easy way to enter or exit the vehicle; even tilted on its side, the passengers need a hand-up to get in.

That's the problem with a lot of Star Wars art; the artists think in terms of what looks cool, and lose track of how it would actually function if it were real.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

That's the problem with a lot of Star Wars art; the artists think in terms of what looks cool, and lose track of how it would actually function if it were real.

Agreed on that point. But...same goes for a lot of things that are canon too.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Rebel Army Armored Vehicle'

by Cuba Lee

(3rd image down)

https://ilmchallenge.artstation.com/survivors/11244/

CRMcNeill wrote:
The Rebel Armored Transport, for example, has no easy way to enter or exit the vehicle; even tilted on its side, the passengers need a hand-up to get in.

I believe the inspiration was a river patrol boat type craft...which unless you are at a dock you have to swim to get in. lol.

But in any case, I would like to imagine this is a dynamic dust-off type pick up as evidenced by the AT-ATs closing in. (Which is what made me think of it when you mentioned guerillla actions and walkers. )

In my mind if the craft settled to the ground there'd be a fold-out ramp or ladder somewhere. Like people get in an out of X-Wings and TIE fighters when they land on a planet....somehow.

Just because we don't see an easy way in or out doesn' t mean there wouldn't be one, like maybe a rear ramp like in an IFV...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why they wouldn't be using said ramp in this picture, then, especially for the injured Rebel pilot seen being supported by a SpecForce trooper as they move toward the transport.

As I said over in the other topic, I'd rather go with a combat-modified cargo skiff ala the ones from RotJ. For that, all you would have to do is figure some way for the "rudders" to twist and/or fold out of the way to get close to the ground for landings. Plus, it's a lot easier to picture something like a skiff being loaded into a cargo on a small to medium sized freighter, so long as the cargo hatch is big enough.

Also, why does this open-top troop carrier have an astromech in the socket next to the cockpit?

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I don't see why they wouldn't be using said ramp in this picture, then, especially for the injured Rebel pilot seen being supported by a SpecForce trooper as they move toward the transport.

As I said over in the other topic, I'd rather go with a combat-modified cargo skiff ala the ones from RotJ. For that, all you would have to do is figure some way for the "rudders" to twist and/or fold out of the way to get close to the ground for landings. Plus, it's a lot easier to picture something like a skiff being loaded into a cargo on a small to medium sized freighter, so long as the cargo hatch is big enough.

Also, why does this open-top troop carrier have an astromech in the socket next to the cockpit?

Well, since neither of us is the artist and it's all speculation anyhow....lol...
I'd say that they don't have time to do a full landing...it makes for a dynamic image. Maybe they're having words about it themselves?

"Hurry your butts, I'll bring her in close, but there's no way I'm setting 'er down in view of those AT-ATs"

"You idiot, we could load 'em faster if you just grounded for a few seconds!"

I see it kind of like these fellas:

https://www.historynet.com/pegasus-ride-hell.htm

Yes they're getting off in this case....but if this was the only image you ever saw of an Iroquois helicopter...you wouldn't deduce that it wasn't capable of landing, would you?

As for the astromech...I think the real question is why NOT!?

I think he fills the role of a PBR's engine man. Star fighters aren't the only craft that might benefit from a dedicated droid to monitor the engine and make repairs when needed.

I think it's an expensive option for most speeders, but if this is a repulsor driven fast-attack/ patrol boat with special forces insertion and extraction missions...seems like it would be handy to have!

In any case, I was looking forward to your opinion on the stats for this thing. It's certainly far from the silliest thing in Star Wars. But if it doesn't strike your fancy, it's all cool brother.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the deal with those globetrotter things with giant metal beach balls for wheels? How the hell is that thing supposed to get any traction on any surface, never mind terrain like snow? Rule of Cool overriding practicality indeed.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
What's the deal with those globetrotter things with giant metal beach balls for wheels? How the hell is that thing supposed to get any traction on any surface, never mind terrain like snow? Rule of Cool overriding practicality indeed.

I'm reminded of the MTA-Titan from Robotech where the massive wheels were hollow inside and housed ground troops that could be deployed from side hatches. In a world with acceleration compensators and artificial gravity, you could put things inside the wheels...

But yeah, traction is definitely an issue without some sort of tech fix. Maybe contact traction fields generated through the wheel surface that grab the ground...

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Indeed. Traction would be an issue, but the globe-like wheels might be good on something like an arctic environment where there is water under the ice with open water patches.
Serve as buoyancy!

The trick is explaining where it would be practical over a repulsorlift. But then we have that question with any ground vehicle in Star Wars.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I'm reminded of the MTA-Titan from Robotech where the massive wheels were hollow inside and housed ground troops that could be deployed from side hatches.

I remember that thing! Huge, with an anti-orbital reflex cannon on top.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
The trick is explaining where it would be practical over a repulsorlift. But then we have that question with any ground vehicle in Star Wars.

My theory there is that landspeeder-type repulsorlifts must constantly exert some form of grip on the ground, via a drive field using tractor beam tech (which is distinct from the actual counter-gravity function of repulsorlifts which merely provides lift, not thrust). As such, ground effect vehicles (wheels, treads, walkers, etc) are going to have advantages w/r/t not having to expend energy to maintain stability. Obviously, it's not a huge issue, given the ubiquitous nature of repulsorlifts in the SWU, but there must be some scenario where it's advantageous.

Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

My theory there is that landspeeder-type repulsorlifts must constantly exert some form of grip on the ground, via a drive field using tractor beam tech (which is distinct from the actual counter-gravity function of repulsorlifts which merely provides lift, not thrust). As such, ground effect vehicles (wheels, treads, walkers, etc) are going to have advantages w/r/t not having to expend energy to maintain stability. Obviously, it's not a huge issue, given the ubiquitous nature of repulsorlifts in the SWU, but there must be some scenario where it's advantageous.

My casual reasoning on the subject was along the lines that an active repulsorlift would show up better on certain sensors where a ground vehicle would have a more stealthy signature at long range against those kinds of sensors.
Another one I've trotted out from time to time is the abnormal electromagnetic or gravitic phenomenon of certain planets made repulsorlifts dangerous to use...or wore them out faster making them less economical.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Another one I've trotted out from time to time is the abnormal electromagnetic or gravitic phenomenon of certain planets made repulsorlifts dangerous to use...or wore them out faster making them less economical.
I like tectonilally unstable and/or and fluctuating gravity fields.

Avoidance of detection could be another reason. Maybe some version of a crystal gravfield trap (CGT) detector is used by the Empire. Gravity repulsion would seem like it would be detected by a CGT and the description on p10 of the sourcebook makes it sound a CGT has a longer range than other sensors. On the negative, it also says CGTs are expensive. But while most vehicles wouldn't justify the expense of a CGT, Imperial bases and installations would. So maybe the Rebels use these craft to make it hard for the Imperial base to detect them and call in an artillery strike or a flight of TIE bombers.

I'm currently running a series of adventures on the planet Sedesia. The planet log mentions that the high winds and sudden storms make repulsorlift craft a poor choice. (I rationalize that by thinking that a repulsor craft just sitting has much less inertia and little to no friction compared to a ground vehicle.)

Unstable or fluctuating gravity is a rationale I've read for some planets. But honestly I think we have to assume a lot of the rationale is simply local custom, fashion, or practice combined with what types of vehicles the local industrial base can most easily support. SEveral of the Separatist droids were had wheels, treads, or legs rather than repulsorlifts.

There is also the fact that some mines are triggered by repulsorfields. So not triggering those types of mines could be an advantage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
My casual reasoning on the subject was along the lines that an active repulsorlift would show up better on certain sensors where a ground vehicle would have a more stealthy signature at long range against those kinds of sensors.

This is a good one, as it helps explain why vehicles like the Hoverscout exist, as an ACV could conceivably have a lower sensor signature, at the cost of some performance. One of my hang-ups for the Hoverscout has always been how the skirt maintained a rigid seal over rough ground, but I saw in another fandom where ACVs functioned by using force fields (ala the docking bay fields in space) to maintain air pressure so long as the vehicle stayed relatively close to the ground.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: