The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"our Empire moment"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> "our Empire moment" Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The first time I heard it was on an episode of Shooting Womprats...

Same here. Though a Google Trends history shows that the term was in use January 1, 2004. It waned quite a lot, and then picked up again more steadily in in recent years.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Same here. Though a Google Trends history shows that the term was in use January 1, 2004. It waned quite a lot, and then picked up again more steadily in in recent years.

Huh, did the popularity of the term pick up around 2009? That was when Pathfinder first came onto the scene. I'm probably wrong, but I'm curious to know if the term "murder-hobos" follows a similar pattern in popularity with the existence of Pathfinder. Yeah, the term may have originated with D&D, but I'm wondering if Pathfinder may have "codified" (as in "Trope Codifier" from TV Tropes) the term.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leona Makk wrote:
After this adventure, I am hoping to steer everyone towards the ultimate sandbox...MINOS Cluster. Maybe I will rein MY story ideas a bit and practice objectivity there.

Oddly enough, one of the set-ups for the Minos Cluster is that the PCs are sent their because it's too hot for them everywhere else. GG6 lays out in detail how the characters are basically on the run and Alliance Command sends them to Minos on a low-key mission running a tramp freighter (and gathering intel and making contacts).

If you manage to get them there, I'll need to step up my game on the Ship Modification and After Market Parts...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leona Makk wrote:
After this adventure, I am hoping to steer everyone towards the ultimate sandbox...MINOS Cluster. Maybe I will rein MY story ideas a bit and practice objectivity there.

You may find this helpful.

New Minos Sector Map (w/ Elrood Sector)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
cheshire wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Huh, did the popularity of the term pick up around 2009? That was when Pathfinder first came onto the scene. I'm probably wrong, but I'm curious to know if the term "murder-hobos" follows a similar pattern in popularity with the existence of Pathfinder. Yeah, the term may have originated with D&D, but I'm wondering if Pathfinder may have "codified" (as in "Trope Codifier" from TV Tropes) the term.

Well, I suppose anything is possible. The Pathfinder growth was by and large a lot of people jumping ship FROM D&D, with all of their play styles and history. But does it even matter?

As you know, Pathfinder practically IS D&D in all but name, or at least they share a common ancestor. And the Murder Hobo isn't really a part of the rules of either system, rather a name someone coined to describe the behaviour/ reaction to the type of players that had existed since the first D&D prototypes (And continued in most of the earlier fantasy RPGs, classic and video games to this very day).

I'd love to know who invented that term, because it is so hilarious and apt, but for me, it's a stretch to pin it's spread and popularity on a single rules variant over the phenomenon of role playing games in general. Smile

I'd say the internet takes a big win on the spread of terminology...but back in the pre-internet days we had slang that seemed to get around;

Terms like 'munchkins' and 'monty haul campaign' and 'powergamer'. I think their spread was facilitated by gaming magazines and gaming conventions.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Terms like 'munchkins' and 'monty haul campaign' and 'powergamer'. I think their spread was facilitated by gaming magazines and gaming conventions.
Don't forget fanzines like Alarums & Excursions and The Wild Hunt. They were the Internet gaming forums of their day.

And speaking of jargon nostalgia, in the groups I was in we used the term "K-Mart" as in "Oh yeah he is a K-Mart referee" for a campaign with too much magic and too much treasure for too little risk. It was the antithesis of the "Death & Despair" referee.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
Don't forget fanzines like Alarums & Excursions and The Wild Hunt. They were the Internet gaming forums of their day.

And speaking of jargon nostalgia, in the groups I was in we used the term "K-Mart" as in "Oh yeah he is a K-Mart referee" for a campaign with too much magic and too much treasure for too little risk. It was the antithesis of the "Death & Despair" referee.

We called those the 'Monty Haul'. Pretty sure Dragon Magazine is where I first picked up that term. Very Happy
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
We called those the 'Monty Haul'. Pretty sure Dragon Magazine is where I first picked up that term. Very Happy
The Dragon is probably where most people saw the phrase. Someone in our group had coined the "K-Mart" phrase pre-Dragon. So for a long time the earlier phrases just stuck with us.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Bren wrote:

Same here. Though never heard o death and despair referees before..
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I began playing D&D in 4th grade but was only a player then. Starting in 6th grade, I was one of three DMs in my gaming group which took turns running for everyone else's characters. (We were also the three main players but others joined us sometimes.)

When I was a new DM, I was the generous one who gave a lot of treasure (but not quite to Monty Haul levels). Jason was the stingy DM who would have us work our way through an entire dungeon and kill a dragon at the end, only to earn a single potion. Mike was a strictly by-the-book DM who always rolled for treasure and never deviated in the slightest from the treasure chart results. Really all three of us were wrong, but we were kids.

I read "Monty Haul" in Dragon Magazine but didn't know who Monty Haul was until later. Not sure where I heard "murder hobos" but the funny thing was I instantly knew what the term meant because that really does appropriately sum up a lot of games.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've searched Murder Hobo on tvtropes and the All The Tropes Wiki, but I get no results. Odd that it gets no coverage...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've searched Murder Hobo on tvtropes and the All The Tropes Wiki, but I get no results. Odd that it gets no coverage...

They put it in a sub-class under Munchkin (for some strange reason...)

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Munchkin
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
They put it in a sub-class under Munchkin (for some strange reason...)

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Munchkin

Well, it is not like the two terms aren't completely unrelated. There definitely is an overlap of murder hobos games and munchkin players. But yeah, it's still surprising it doesn't get its own entry.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
cheshire wrote:

That may be that it became codified in Pathfinder, but it became more regular in May of 2012, but it's been in the last two years that it has been really more frequent.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Same here. Though never heard o death and despair referees before..
We used it a lot. It's possible our group had more than our share of referees who set the difficulty level of their games to Very Difficult. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: