The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Controls Ionized
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Controls Ionized
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Controls Ionized Reply with quote

How do you handle controls ionized vehicle/starship hit effect? Following RAW is usually far more severe than light damage. Why? Because most players fly some light freighters with no or minimal maneuverability, which means that first controls ionized effect causes controls frozen (fly straight for the next two rounds) - this is a dead sentence during dogfight.

Also, how about capital ships? Does control ionized cause penalty for all weapon emplacement on the whole Star Destroyer?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go by Raw for controls ionized. Which is why pcs are best to up their hull OR maneuverability when they first get a ship.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never confortable with frozen controls of the RAW.

I use a modified rule :

control ionized x1 : -1D malus & current speed is reduced by 2 space units. Pilot can dodge, change direction and / or accelerate or decelerate.

control ionized x2 : -2D malus & current speed is reduced by 4 space units. Pilot can change direction and / or accelerate or decelerate BUT can't dodge.

control ionized x3 : -3D malus & current speed is reduced by 6 space units. Pilot can accelerate or decelerate BUT can't dodge nor change direction.

control ionized x4 : -4D malus & current speed is reduced by 8 space units. Commands are frozen.

control ionized x5 : ship disabled.

If current speed drop to 0 then engine stall : pilot must wait until ionisation effect left then try to launch start sequence form begining (10 rounds diff easy; 5 rounds diff medium; 3 rounds diff difficult; 2 rounds diff very difficult; 1 round diff heroic).

If fire control drop below 0D then weapon control are frozen : gunner must wait until fire control raise to 0D or more.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the -d 'malus' equate to??
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I assume it is a penalty of -1D, -2D, -3D, etc. applied to any piloting rolls. I like this better for PC ships than the controls frozen.

Also if one thinks of ionized controls as having some sort of blue lightning arcing over them, I think it might be interesting to treat the dice penalty as also causing stun damage that is inflicted when someone tries to unfreeze the controls.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still use the same penalty roll-off rate of 1D per round?

Also, an alternate method of affecting the ship's Space would be to reduce the ship's Move Level by 1 per 1D of penalty (for example, a ship suffering -1D of penalty would have a maximum Speed Level of Full instead of All-Out, -2D would have a maximum of Cruising, etc, so that once a ship hits -5, that's when the drive shuts down).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I assume it is a penalty of -1D, -2D, -3D, etc. applied to any piloting rolls. I like this better for PC ships than the controls frozen.

Also if one thinks of ionized controls as having some sort of blue lightning arcing over them, I think it might be interesting to treat the dice penalty as also causing stun damage that is inflicted when someone tries to unfreeze the controls.

That would be a cool twist..
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Do you still use the same penalty roll-off rate of 1D per round?

Yes I do, full ionisation effect affect the ship during the round when the ionisation occurs and the next round then the effect is reduced by 1D each next round.
Exemple : round 1, a ship takes 4D ionisation malus. Round 2 same 4D malus applies. Round 3, ionisation malus is reduced to 3D. Round 4, ionisation malus drops to 2D. Etc

CRMcNeill wrote:
Also, an alternate method of affecting the ship's Space would be to reduce the ship's Move Level by 1 per 1D of penalty (for example, a ship suffering -1D of penalty would have a maximum Speed Level of Full instead of All-Out, -2D would have a maximum of Cruising, etc, so that once a ship hits -5, that's when the drive shuts down).

I also thought of this rule but I prefer to reduce ship current speed to allow engine stall.

Exemple : a X-wing move at cruise speed (8 space units) when she takes 3D malus... Current speed of the X-wing drop to 2 space units (8-6).

Exemple : a X-wing move at cautious speed (4 space units) when she takes 3D malus... Engines stall and current speed of the X-wing drop to 0.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: