The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Min # of dice as a PLAYER you should have/Die rolling aps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Min # of dice as a PLAYER you should have/Die rolling aps Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Owner/Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 7688
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me, i roll in the open period, because it shows i am not fudging.

We all know how you are against fudging in any circumstance, but you also feel the need to prove it? Did a player accuse you of fudging in the past? Let me guess, they thought you were fudging against them?

Raven Redstar wrote:
I disagree about rolling out in the open, it encourages meta-gaming. Most gamers can't help themselves.
garhkal wrote:
In what way does it encourage metagaming?
Raven Redstar wrote:
You see how many dice are being rolled by particular foes?
garhkal wrote:
Ahh.. Gotcha.

When I gamed at garhkal's table, I seem to remember him rolling a villain's very high number of dice out in the open for a roll. My impression was that it was to intimidate us players, but that may have been colored by what I know of him from his thousands of posts here and elsewhere. Cool
_________________
*
Site Map
Forum Guidelines
Registration & Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant


Joined: 01 Jul 2019
Posts: 57

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually combine rolling in the open and hidden, exactly to play with what I want the players to know and not know, or rather to play with what they think I want them to know and not know. It's like giving the difficulty number or just roleplaying the result, especially on perception or sensors rolls that yield nothing for example, they can't know if there's something out there and they failed the roll or if there's just nothing, but as I'm purposefully inconsistent with giving out the numbers, it breaks the metagame and thus forces them to roleplay Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector


Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Posts: 12936
Location: Reynoldsburg, Columbus, Ohio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
For me, i roll in the open period, because it shows i am not fudging.

We all know how you are against fudging in any circumstance, but you also feel the need to prove it? Did a player accuse you of fudging in the past? Let me guess, they thought you were fudging against them?


My first time i hated seeing fudging, i was a player, and the DM did fudge, to let his GF win a competition we were playing in game. Then fudged to ensure she didn't die in the mission's combat section. Then a few years later, in an adnd game, the DM was caught several times by the whole group, fudging a final battle of a module, to let us win. ALL cause he felt players shouldn't die in the final fight. That to me, took ALL the joy out of 'winning' that final fight..

Those 2 main instances are part of the main reason I hate fudging.

Whill wrote:
When I gamed at garhkal's table, I seem to remember him rolling a villain's very high number of dice out in the open for a roll. My impression was that it was to intimidate us players, but that may have been colored by what I know of him from his thousands of posts here and elsewhere. Cool


It wasn't to 'intimidate' anyone. Its just how i am.
_________________
Confucious sayeth, don't wash cat while drunk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral


Joined: 10 Mar 2009
Posts: 2535
Location: Pullman, WA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fudging to show favoritism to one player and no others can leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth. It explains a lot about how you feel when it comes to fudging rolls. I don't tend to fudge too much anymore, and even on the rare occasions when I do, I try to keep it within the spirit of the game and the setting, not to help me keep my spouse/girlfriend happy.

Typically if I fudge, it's because I made a grave miscalculation as to how hard to make the adventure when I was in my planning stages, and I don't want my players to suffer or die needlessly because I overestimated their abilities, or underestimated how powerful their foes are. I also don't need to fudge as much anymore, since I use the electronic die roller. I tend to have pretty good luck when rolling physical dice, and the rolling app tends to have a more even keel to how it rolls.
_________________
RR
________________________________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0