The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Flak Turbolasers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Flak Turbolasers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you got it right, but not all websites allow images to be linked, so this may be something that's happening at the source.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Barbarossa41
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying again (slightly different image)
https://i0.wp.com/www.defensemedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/German-88mm-Artillery3.jpg

Preview works this time.

EDITED: The site admin changed the image to a link because it is is over 750 pixels wide.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These 88s do share the crew and much of the "looks" of some of the turbosaer and gun emplacement seen in the movies.

This leads me to think that maybe that cannon used on the clone wars walker tank thing, this was a mass exelerator thing sort of gun cannon thingie, and this IMO is a projectile weapon, could not a gun like this sompley be added in lieu of 1-5 turbolasers.

I would think if the "need" is there for flak on larger guns, then yes I would allow one of those guns to be fitted, or replace the actual gun in the emplacement.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbarossa41 wrote:
I like it. Maybe they could look like this. Razz

Barbarossa41 wrote:
Sorry, how do you embed images?

I am a bit of a forum n00b.

I fixed it in the post. When you used the image tags, you had two image closed tags but you only needed one. You also had a space and/or return after the image open tag and the image URL.

So make sure you have no extra spaces or returns before or after the URL, and make sure you only have one open tag and one close tag. If you just paste the URL, and then highlight only the URL tex before hitting the Img tag buton, you should be good.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barbarossa41
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbarossa41 wrote:
Maybe they could look like this.

No, they couldn't.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
This leads me to think that maybe that cannon used on the clone wars walker tank thing, this was a mass exelerator thing sort of gun cannon thingie, and this IMO is a projectile weapon, could not a gun like this sompley be added in lieu of 1-5 turbolasers.

Ammunition isn't unlimited, so why put in two different guns if a way can be found to make one gun do the same thing? Especially when the ammunition for lasers is far more efficient than mass driver shells.

Quote:
I would think if the "need" is there for flak on larger guns, then yes I would allow one of those guns to be fitted, or replace the actual gun in the emplacement.

The analogy here is WW2 in space, and flak shells for capital ship main batteries never really worked as well as using their secondaries for massed anti-aircraft fire.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

Ammunition isn't unlimited, so why put in two different guns if a way can be found to make one gun do the same thing? Especially when the ammunition for lasers is far more efficient than mass driver shells.

Are they?
Shells are "easy" to make into FLak ERounds, Blasters are not.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compressed gas stores far more efficiently than explosive shells, as evidenced by ammo capacity counts for various hand-held weapons despite having relatively small magazines. If you wish to take the low tech route for your SWU, then more power to you, but the subject of this thread is Flak Turbolasers, so if you want to discuss swapping out turbolasers for actual projectile launchers in your SWU, you need to start a new topic.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Compressed gas stores far more efficiently than explosive shells, as evidenced by ammo capacity counts for various hand-held weapons despite having relatively small magazines. If you wish to take the low tech route for your SWU, then more power to you, but the subject of this thread is Flak Turbolasers, so if you want to discuss swapping out turbolasers for actual projectile launchers in your SWU, you need to start a new topic.

I was simply wondering how to make the bolt explode.
will the "fragments" be counted as +1 or +2 damage shrapnel?

And if this can be used on turpolasers, then why not a blaster shotgun.

Now my immiate thought is something as simple as fitting someting on the weapon, this fitting allowes the blaster bolt, or the gas balloon filled with plasma as it really is to be allowed to explode.

I can't think of any enegry based explosive, but I think a energy based explosive would be the way to go.

to me it is not the gun, it is the bolts fired., how to make the bolt to explode and scatter and what damage will each of the scatters do?

Now another way could be the effect of flak, more than actual falk.
Flak is actually NOT meant to down Aircraft, but mennt to disturb them and hinder them in reaching the goal.
so if a turbilaser fires alternate "rounds", then one of these could be something of a mix between a projectile and a blaster, maybe a little "o ring" thing with some explosive effect.

Fire 3 rounds, then 4th will be given this "ring" this round then explodes according to the setting/programming scattering the bolt, into +1 and +2 fragments, with something like 4D fragments that can possible hit.

So you roll 4D, get 15 this is 15 fragment hitting (damage scale etc)
this is 15 fragments each having +2 for a total 30 Damage.
And it could be fairly easy to use the grenade scatter rules, as flak really is a "scattering" round
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Like this.

Quote:

No, it will be counted as a blast radius weapon, which I mentioned in this post on the previous page.

Quote:

You mean like this?

Why do I get the feeling you didn't actually read the rest of this topic before you commented?

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Mamatried wrote:
Like this.

Quote:

No, it will be counted as a blast radius weapon, which I mentioned in this post on the previous page.

Quote:

You mean like this?

Why do I get the feeling you didn't actually read the rest of this topic before you commented?

have read it all, I may have misunderstood thoiugh.

I don't see the cannon as the thing needs to be changed. I see the change on the balster bolt it self.

So for that reason I was more thinking in the line of one type ammo for this and one type ammo for that.

lets look at the famous 88, it was a flak gun designed as an anti aircraft gun.
However it soon prooved to be effective against armor when used as a ground assault cannon, BUT the anti armor and the anti aircraft rounds were totally different in how they were designed and worked.

To me the flak turboaser simply holds exploding (timer or proximity) "fuses" on the ammo.

Since we are not taking ammo in the same way as a conventioal cannons, we have to look at a little differently, so I was thinking something as another "gas" type, one that will also produce a "fragile?" bolt that burst easier. this gas could be something not normally used in blasters due to it being too unstable, but for flak where it needs to "expode" this would work greatly.

so I would simply make a scatter pattern, like the scatterguns or grenades and simply give it another type of "gas" used, making the properties of the bolt differnt than the norm
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it that way if you like.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another thought on this. I've used a Sensor Lock-On Rule for several other weapons (particularly Auto-Blasters and Guided Missiles/Torpedoes, but it works for others, as well). Since the technobabble behind Flak Turbolasers is dependent on an accurate estimation of the range to target, it's plausible that Flak Mode might only be effective against targets when a Sensor Lock-On has been achieved.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can actually get a lock, why not just direct fire at the target instead of trying to shoot close to it?

Also, on the down side, requiring sensor lock-on is contrary to the original model of WWII style flak where actual spotting wasn't required (though it did help with accuracy).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: