The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

HWK-290 Light Freighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> HWK-290 Light Freighter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: HWK-290 Light Freighter Reply with quote

HWK-290 Light Freighter
Designed decades before the Battle of Naboo, the HWK-290 light freighter was Corellian Engineering Corporation's first attempt to break into the rapidly expanding "executive light freighter" market. Unlike the relatively efficient YT-series, which was marketed toward smaller-profile traders and tramp freighter operators, the HWK-290 targeted wealthy, high-profile clientele at the top levels of powerful interstellar shipping conglomerates and planetary governments. While it enjoyed modest success and was highly praised for its performance and ease of operation, the HWK-290 never reached the sales numbers of the more popular YT-series. The entire line was discontinued during the Clone Wars to free production lines for military use.

It is a handsome vessel with a lean, angular hull and narrow, deeply tinted viewports that make it look fast and aggressive, even when parked in a hangar. Although the freighter was not designed to carry much cargo, it still has a respectable lift capacity for a vessel of its size, suiting it well for courier work and for transporting small, valuable cargoes. With a paltry passenger capacity, the craft is less ideal for transporting sentients, but at least one HWK-290 is in use by the Rebellion for inserting and retrieving special operatives. The HWK-290 has light armor and was originally designed with no weapon systems, relying instead on raw speed and maneuverability for protection. Of course, being a CEC product, it is highly modular: most HWKs still plying the spacelanes are extensively modified.

USING THIS VEHICLE
Quick and with a small carrying capacity, this ship serves best as a courier. GMs should remember information is a commodity. Freelance PCs could use the agile HWK-290 to deliver data too sensitive for even encrypted transmissions. Conversely, it may take a carefully plotted ambush for Rebel PCs to capture top secret Imperial files moved by an unmarked HWK-290.

The HWK-290 also makes for an excellent heavy starfighter once weapons are added. Mounting heavy laser cannons and proton torpedoes results in a craft competitive with many designs but also dramatically more expensive. Some units use it as a command fighter. With a pilot plus three seats, the craft fits a commander and a small staff. Although the ship is a rarity among the Alliance Starfighter Corps, if the PCs can supply the craft and the upgrades. command would have no reason to decline permission to use one.

ADVENTURE AND ENCOUNTER SEEDS
1. When the PCs finally arrive at the location of an item they have been seeking, they discover someone else got there mere minutes before! Following their trail turns into a high-speed starship chase after the Gank operalive jumps into a waiting HWK-290 getaway craft.

2. The Pcs' employer provides them with the use of two HWK-2905 with souped-up engines to recover a dead-dropped data cache from the depths of Coruscant. Once the package is secured, Black Sun StorVipers (page 58) begin chasing the PCs, keen to recover-or destroy-the package.

HWK-290 Light Freighter
Craft: Corellian Engineering Corporation HWK-290 light freighter
Type: Freighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 29 meters
Skill: Space transports: HWK-290 light freighter
Crew: 2 (pilot, co-pilot)
Crew Skill: Typically 3D in pertinent skills
Passengers: 6
Cargo Capacity: 5 metric tons
Consumables: 3 months
Cost: 70,000
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: No
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 5
Atmosphere: 295; 850 kmh
Hull: 3D+2
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
-- Passive: 10/1D
-- Scan: 20/2D
-- Search: 40/3D
-- Focus: 2/4D
Source: Starships and Speeders (p.85), D6 mechanics by +Oliver Queen
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Quick” (Space 5, Hyperdrive x2)

“Small carrying capacity” (150 metric tons)

It’s like they cut-and-pasted from Wookieepedia without even bothering to check.

And no armament, even though the ship art clearly shows a dual cannon?

Stuff like this is why I can’t take literal stat conversions seriously.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
“Quick” (Space 5, Hyperdrive x2)

For a freighter this is fast, but I could be talked into 6, but then your getting into starfighter level of speed and this is a stock ship NOT Kyle Katarn's "Moldy Crow".

CRMcNeill wrote:
“Small carrying capacity” (150 metric tons)

Yeah, that seems way too much, but this is what has been listed for the "Moldy Crow" from Starships Stats. I just went with it. Though I could go with a much smaller cargo capacity, but in doing so, we would have to address the issue of the original citation, which is the "Moldy Crow".

CRMcNeill wrote:
It’s like they cut-and-pasted from Wookieepedia without even bothering to check.

Some of the information I did use wookieepedia for, but then again, FFG does not have something that directly equates to cargo space and the original citation is also a d20 conversion, which lists it at 150 metric tons.

CRMcNeill wrote:
And no armament, even though the ship art clearly shows a dual cannon?

The second image is from the book by FFG. I am not an artist and the vast majority of art on the interweb is of the "Moldy Crow" or a similar modified version of the stock ship. I suppose I could have used a different picture. Maybe spend an hour PS/GIMPing the picture to take it out, but I figured the majority of people would be able to to overlook that.

Note: I edited the image, so now you should have one less thing that bothers you about this conversion.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Stuff like this is why I can’t take literal stat conversions seriously.

Perhaps you are having a rough day Charles, it happens. In fact, I am currently very sick with some sort of pre-spring plague. I in fact unjustly yelled at my daughter over something stupid. So I understand when one is not feeling well they can get grumpy, short sighted, and say things that later they regret.

With that in mind, Charles, if you want to make some constructive suggestions, awesome, I am listening. If all you want to do is grump, fuss, and be cermudgeonly, please don't.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s my version of the HWK-290 from a year or two back, where I discuss my issues with the official “stats”.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Here’s my version of the HWK-290 from a year or two back, where I discuss my issues with the official “stats”.

Its a good write-up as is typical of your vehicle posts. I agree with you about the cargo space and amended it to 15 metric tons, but I can easily see dropping this to 5 metric tons.

Note: In fact I amended it to 5 metric tons. Thank you for pointing out the glaring inconsistency.

As for its speed in comparison to the version you cited. Your citation is for the modified version of the "Moldy Crow", whereas mine is a stock model. I will remind you, a stock YT-1300 has as speed of 4. After Calrissian/Solo's upgrades its an 8. I don't see an issue with its speed in comparison to other "swift" stock freighters.
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, the Rancor Pit rule against posting images wider than 750 pixels equally applies to multiple images beside each other which total over 750 pixels.

I already edited your post once to simply move the right image to under the first one, and then you went back in and edited your post to put it back to what it was originally. You can go back in and edit it however you want except do not put the images side-by-side please. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Don, the Rancor Pit rule against posting images wider than 750 pixels equally applies to multiple images beside each other which total over 750 pixels.

Sorry, I did not take into account that the images together were going to be over the limit. I have been trying to keep images to 300 pixels (~3 inches). Sometimes if one side is significantly under the 300 pixels, I will upsize that size to 300 pixels. Again sorry for the oversight on my part.

Whill wrote:
I already edited your post once to simply move the right image to under the first one, and then you went back in and edited your post to put it back to what it was originally. You can go back in and edit it however you want except do not put the images side-by-side please. Thank you.

I saw that and assumed it was some type of editing error when posted since I saw it after I changed the cargo capacity per Charles suggestion. Again, sorry =)
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t disagree with your stat choices per se; I recognized a long time ago that you and I have different philosophies w/r/t stat writing, each of which has their place in the gaming community. I just tend to get triggered when I see blatantly false “official” information, and the HWK-290 is one of the worst offenders. I can only assume whoever codified the parameters for that ship never actually saw it in action in Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I don’t disagree with your stat choices per se; I recognized a long time ago that you and I have different philosophies w/r/t stat writing, each of which has their place in the gaming community. I just tend to get triggered when I see blatantly false “official” information, and the HWK-290 is one of the worst offenders. I can only assume whoever codified the parameters for that ship never actually saw it in action in Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight.

You would have to take that up I believe Cheshire. I think, do know for sure, he converted that from a WotC web thingy from D20 or Saga to D6 stats. You would have to blame Wizard's or someone at Lucas.

Also, and you have not addressed this point. We are talking about stats for two different ships. You are talking about the "Moldy Crow" a heavily modified ship, and I am talking about a stock model of the same ship. Obviously there are going to be differences, but only up to a certain point.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I’m talking about the fact that the “stock” version bears no resemblance to the craft featured in the live action segments of Dark Forces 2. There is no way the craft seen in the video game could hold 6 passengers, or be 29 meters long. At one point, it is even shown docked on the same Nebulon B docking station as the Falcon was at the end of ESB, and it is, at best, 1/4-the size of the Falcon.

The problem goes further back than Cheshire, who I expect did as faithful a conversion of the D20 stats as possible. As near as I can tell, the original game designers intended to have the Moldy Crow be a modified Baudo Star yacht, with length, passenger and cargo capacity to match. However, at some point, the ship was changed into a light scout / heavy fighter, but the official statistics were never updated to reflect the change. And then fandom inertia took over and no one in a position to challenge it ever objected.

For the “stock” version to conform to the game stats, yet still have the Moldy Crow be a “modified” version would require one to be a 2:1 scale model of the other.

Check this out...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned here, it doesn’t matter how accurately or faithfully a stat is converted if the source stat was irretrievably flawed to begin with.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
As I mentioned here, it doesn’t matter how accurately or faithfully a stat is converted if the source stat was irretrievably flawed to begin with.

Point registered, conceded, moving along .... Very Happy
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm late to this party. I'm just giving credit where credit is due, it was Gry Sarth who did this conversion from the RCR stats posted on the Wizards website. Cargo capacity in the RCR didn't change between systems. So, it really is a consistency issue in the description and the stats. Though, there's no telling what the original description said or how that might have changed. Sometimes authors would bring stats over, but then brush up the description and not check that the two matched.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the artwork
and by most descriptions of the ship I can see that it has some internal cargo capacity in the 5-10 ton range at that, becuse as a freighter I think this ship can attack to carg modules, the -290 Model could then imo maybe attach to cargo module upto and including the 150 tons that some of the write up show.

We have seen this with other ships, and the orinal (pre disney, unless has actually changed this) mandibles on the falcon was ment to push cargo modules.

going by the top artwork (taking artistic fredom into account) we can make out what looks like cylinder things on the middle section of the ship, I see these being the attachments.

the larger hwk the 900 something I could then see maybe be able to then attach to even larger cargomodules, maybe 200 tons+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: