The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dodge Question and 1E Initiative
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> Dodge Question and 1E Initiative
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flakpanzer
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Dodge Question and 1E Initiative Reply with quote

Hi all,

Quick question regarding the way Dodge Works with initiative in 1E.

Say I declare my character is shooting a Blaster at a Stormtrooper, and the Stormtrooper is shooting his Blaster at my character, and I decide I want to Dodge.

Dodge has to be declared before rolling the attack, but rolling the attacks determines who shoots first.

Does that mean that since I declare a dodge before I roll my Blaster attack, both the Blaster Attack AND the Dodge are at -1D because of the multi-action penalty?

I ask because normally, the Penalty only applies to the Reaction Skill and any additional skills used after that...Not the original declared single action (if only one action is declared). In this case, it seems like it would apply to both.
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

As I understand it, and play it:

You must DECLARE your intent to dodge, but the dodge penalty does not kick in until you actually start rolling to dodge.

So in the case you gave, if you get your shot off first, it is at your full Blaster Dice. If your shot is 2nd, and you are dodging your opponents shot (he rolls higher, therefore you shoot second), your dodge is at full, but your shot (should you be able to make it) will be at -1D, because THAT is your second action.
The GIT
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is quite old so please accept my apologies for bumping it.

I believe the crux of the question is based oaround the loose initiative rules. In the response given by ThrorII the dice are rolled for the shoot action and then it is decided whether the shot action then gets a -1 multi-action penalty.

For me that just cannot work - the dice have already been rolled for the shot so how do you then decide which die is ignored?

For me I would rule that the shot is always at -1 if you are also Dodging, no matter if your shot is first or second. Either way you're not standing still; you're trying to make yourself as difficult a target as possible and that happens before and during the time you and your opponet open fire on each other. Think of it as making it difficult for the enemy to get a bead on you and also making it difficult for you to get a bead on him (beacue of you ducking and weaving).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Dodge Question and 1E Initiative Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, Git! You may find these posts helpful:

COMBAT AND ACTIONS!

Notes on 1E Dodge
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Whill!

I think those links support my interpretation. Except I do request an intent to dodge if necessary, which is not RAW, but helps me run the table during combat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: