The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obi-Wan Kenobi (D+ series, original speculation thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Obi-Wan Kenobi (D+ series, original speculation thread) Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Obi-Wan Kenobi (D+ series, original speculation thread) Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1165066889724219392?s=20

It's official! Kathleen Kennedy announced Ewan McGregor will return as Obi-Wan Kenobi in a Star Wars series on Disney+. The series begins filming next year. It is reportedly set around the time of Solo, thus about halfway between RotS and ANH. Probably a just a one season mini-series.

EDIT:

If you have seen the show and want to talk about it ––> Obi-Wan Kenobi [SPOILERS ALLOWED]
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun May 29, 2022 11:49 am; edited 6 times in total
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice

I always wondered what the old man was doing to pass time in the desert for 19 years
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to have Ewan Mcgregor back, although I don't know about squeezing events in Kenobi's life between RotS and ANH... Since this was but a rumour I wished the series would have been about Obi-wan's early padawan years, with Liam Neeson back as Qui-gon and a new young actor as Obi-wan. All told from the perspective of older Kenobi, McGregor reflecting from his tatooine home in a series of flashbacks.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Nice

I always wondered what the old man was doing to pass time in the desert for 19 years
Potroclo wrote:
It's nice to have Ewan Mcgregor back, although I don't know about squeezing events in Kenobi's life between RotS and ANH...

Squeezing? You're not the first one to express this sentiment, and I do not at all get this criticism about a Kenobi prequel. Now if they tried to make a new story about Princess Leia that took place in between RO and ANH, I would agree that would be squeezing new continuity (into the space of a hyperspace jump). But for Kenobi, we are talking about an undocumented 19 years of time between these two films! There won't be any squeezing involved. We don't know a whole lot more about this time than "Ben" spending most of this time watching over Luke and keeping a low profile on Tatooine. Luke had encountered him at some point because Luke recognized him in ANH. There is a gigantic, mostly blank canvas for authors to paint a new picture on.

And as I've said before, to those that say there is no more story left for Kenobi's character in this time frame, I say that talented authors can possibly manufacture something new for the character that doesn't contradict, and perhaps even supports, the larger metaplot. Perhaps the TV series format will be better for this story than a film would. Kenobi shouldn't be limited to fan imagination of story possibilities. That would be prejudice. We should give it chance. It could surprise us and be good.

Potroclo wrote:
Since this was but a rumour I wished the series would have been about Obi-wan's early padawan years, with Liam Neeson back as Qui-gon and a new young actor as Obi-wan. All told from the perspective of older Kenobi, McGregor reflecting from his tatooine home in a series of flashbacks.

I hope that Liam Neeson is involved, at least in Force Ghost form. The Disney+ series could also involve flashbacks to Kenobi's youth.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, now that you mention it, Kenobi was pretty streetwise in Mos Eisley. Granted, he probably had a fair bit of street smarts to begin with, just being the wise figure he was meant to be. But he seemed pretty comfortable walking into the cantina saying, "Most of the best freighter pilots can be found here."

There's plenty of room for imagining that he didn't just know this based on general knowledge of bars and freighter pilots. It could well imply that he'd spent some time there when he was looking to connect with something off planet. Or that he'd had reason to be in the cantina looking for other connections.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Squeezing? [...] It could surprise us and be good.

Yes, that's the thing, what I'm afraid of is them telling a story that doesn't fit the idea Ben has been hiding.
I mean, the guy has been a pivotal character for the most important galaxy-wide events prior to his exile, he's got knowledge and power that rivals those of Vader and almost the Emperor itself. So I'm guessing the series won't be about how Mr Kenobi deals with the womp rat infestation in his Tatooine dwelling's basement... the right thing is to tell a story of epic proportions, which is bound to attract some attention; which doesn't fit to well with the keeping a low profile-thing. That's my main concern.
But don't get me wrong, I'm all for it! I'm all for Disney doing Star Wars its own way, RPG SW gave me enough open-mindedness that I can see SW as a giant sandbox and it's allways nice to see how others play in it, especially if they invest millions in doing so! But I won't be surprised if the backlash from some fans is even worse than TLJ's Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried about fan backlash unless I hear Rian Johnson is writing it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potroclo wrote:

... I can see SW as a giant sandbox and it's allways nice to see how others play in it,

Hee hee... and Tatooine is definitely a giant sandbox Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleh.. If it wasn't just a disney+ product, i MIGHt give it a try..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
You know, now that you mention it, Kenobi was pretty streetwise in Mos Eisley. Granted, he probably had a fair bit of street smarts to begin with, just being the wise figure he was meant to be. But he seemed pretty comfortable walking into the cantina saying, "Most of the best freighter pilots can be found here."

There's plenty of room for imagining that he didn't just know this based on general knowledge of bars and freighter pilots. It could well imply that he'd spent some time there when he was looking to connect with something off planet. Or that he'd had reason to be in the cantina looking for other connections.

And this leads into the idea of the scuttlebutt in Mos Eisly is probably one of Kenobi's only sources of news of the wider galaxy since the Holonet, as it's controlled by the Empire's propagandists, can't be trusted....
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm less excited about the Kenobi show than any of the others they've advertised. But, of course I'll still watch it... Duel
Darklighter79
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

And about some less populated neighborhood too:
"The Jundland Wastes are not to be traveled lightly."
"They didn't, but we are meant to think they did. These tracks are side-by-side. Sandpeople always ride single file to hide their numbers."
I wonder if some of his adventures will get him off planet at that time.
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Hee hee... and Tatooine is definitely a giant sandbox Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Darklighter79 wrote:

That's another concern I have, if it's not a very short miniseries it definitelly should or we'll get tired of the same landscape, but if he leaves tatooine he's not looking over Luke....
I don't know, I guess they'll give a good reason for it plot-wise, if it happens. I'm just glad we'll get to see more of Kenobi. But like most, I'm more interested in what the Mandalorian has to offer Razz
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Bleh.. If it wasn't just a disney+ product, i MIGHt give it a try..

You've never seen any Disney+ products, so this prejudice isn't based on any experience with Disney+. Therefore your prejudice must be against Disney in general. FYI, all Star Wars products are Disney products.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potroclo wrote:
Darklighter79 wrote:

That's another concern I have, if it's not a very short miniseries it definitelly should or we'll get tired of the same landscape, but if he leaves tatooine he's not looking over Luke....
I don't know, I guess they'll give a good reason for it plot-wise, if it happens.

Why do you say, if he leaves he's not watching Luke? Was it ever established in canon that Luke never left Tatooine growing up? I don't think so. If Luke leaves, that would be a very good reason plot-wise for Obi-Wan to leave too, no? Luke could get enslaved by pirates and taken off-world, or maybe the Lars family goes on vacation to another planet.

I find it interesting that when this story is said to take place, Luke will be 9, the same age as Anakin in TPM. Wizard!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: