The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Obi-Wan Kenobi (D+ series, original speculation thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Obi-Wan Kenobi (D+ series, original speculation thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah can you imagine "Summer with the Lars" and it's a comedy film with Kenobi lurking in the background Laughing
But yeah, that's an example of how to justify Kenobi being off-world that works plot-wise. Althought I'ld rather have Luke not getting out of Tatooine until ANH, it makes his drive to leave more powerful... We'll see.

Which makes me think: will child Luke appear?!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenobi could leave going after someone who discovered Luke and left planet to tell someone.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a lot of sand.

But the stor of "old ben" on Tattooine could be something to dive into, after all he most likely left his little hut at leas once in 19 years.

And did he see the need to be on Tattoine from day one, we see kenobi give the lars' Luke but this does not mean he stays at the time, in fact given the order 66 situation and the like he most likely would be on the move for at least a few years, but still keep tabs on Luke
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

If Luke leaves, that would be a very good reason plot-wise for Obi-Wan to leave too, no? Luke could get enslaved by pirates and taken off-world, or maybe the Lars family goes on vacation to another planet.

I believe that would seriously undermine the very important story factor of Luke being the simple farm boy who eventually follows the heroes journey into great things. It is implied that he's never gotten to go anywhere or do anything.
Just because its not explicitly stated doesn't mean it isn't intended to be understood that way by context.

It would be like having a prequel where Frodo and Sam are kidnapped by Orcs when they were younger and saved by Gandalf.

Or a prequel where Alex Rogan from the Last Starfighter is abducted by aliens and saved by the Star League and returned to his trailer park when he was 8.

Or a prequel where Paul Atreides is abducted by Harkonnen mercenaries when he was a boy and brought to Arrakis where he is tracked down and saved by Gurney and Duncan, with the help of a young Stilgar (I'm assuming this never happened, as I didn't bother to read most of the Dune prequels).

Each of these examples, while might make for cool movies on their own, would lessen the narrative feel of the originals.
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

Each of these examples, while might make for cool movies on their own, would lessen the narrative feel of the originals.

Unfortunately, lessening the narrative of the originals is a very common thing in big Hollywood franchises. Everything just seems so impulsive.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I was just agreeing that Obi-Wan would not just leave Tatooine and lightly abandon his mission of protecting Luke. Luke leaving the planet would be a good reason for Obi-Wan to leave, but I certainly was not suggesting that was ever implied or that should be the plot of this show.

I'm baffled by all the negativity I run into against the concept that Obi-Wan never did anything worth telling a story about during his 20 years on Tatooine. People should at least watch it first before they just despise the existence of the mere concept of Obi-Wan being shown to be doing anything else but growing old and wrinkly on Tatooine. We don't know what it will be about. It might be good. It might not be. We'll find out.

I'm not worried about the Tatooine landscape getting old and I think there is a lot of trouble for Obi-Wan to get into on Tatooine. It is the base of operations of a vile crime lord. There could be a gang turf war. Maybe the Lars are getting harassed by a protection racket and Obi-Wan has to step in to protect them. Maybe there's a local war with Tusken Raiders. Maybe the Sand People think Obi-Wan is the reincarnation of the dark warrior that killed that tribe which Anakin had slaughtered, which really emphasizes the failure of the Jedi Order and his failure with his padawan. There are just so many story possibilities. You know, Luke was wrong in characterizing Tatooine as a boring planet where nothing ever happens. That was just his whiny teen angst talking.

And I never read the Dune prequels either but it is my understand that young Paul Atreides runs away and joins an interstellar circus. I'm pretty sure they won't do that with Luke!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's just that the general feeling is they should be pumping the money into new projects, not recycling old concepts that are great on their own, with the implied risk of effing it up.
Personaly I prefer thinking it's going to be bad, so I can be positively surprised once it's released. This kind of self delusion has worked well so far; I loved TFA and TLJ! Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potroclo wrote:
I guess it's just that the general feeling is they should be pumping the money into new projects, not recycling old concepts that are great on their own, with the implied risk of effing it up.

As far as the business strategy, Disney is literally pumping billions into original Disney+ content, so much that they do not expect to break even and then start making profit on it for 4 years, when subscriber numbers build up to projected levels. And all that new content is on top of all the existing Disney, Lucasfilm, Marvel, 20th Century Fox, etc. content that will be on the app. When you are Disney, you can afford long term investments. But it still would be a huge risk if it fails, so they are making it must-have for people. With such a large library of content, it doesn't matter if most people don't get into most of it because it is likely to have enough to make it worth the small monthly subscription fee. With putting so much into it, they are making it virtually impossible to fail. On the big box office front, there will still be 4 more Avatar movies in the next decade and no end for Star Wars and Marvel films in sight. So even all of these things not living up to their predecessors, Disney should come out ok.

Potroclo wrote:
Personaly I prefer thinking it's going to be bad, so I can be positively surprised once it's released. This kind of self delusion has worked well so far; I loved TFA and TLJ! Laughing

I'm glad that pessimism has worked out for you. But you seem to be an exception among Star Wars fans. In my experience, by and large fan pessimism for Star Wars projects turns out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. People largely expect it to suck, and that fuels their nerd rage when they unsurprisingly hate it.

At this point I still like to remain cautiously optimistic. The only movie I've really been disappointed with as a whole was TLJ. I have to admit that has moved TRoS a little more into the cautious field of cautiously optimistic. I'm not that excited for The Mandalorian, but Obi-Wan is a beloved hero.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
But you seem to be an exception among Star Wars fans.

Well it was in retrospect, not something I activelly thought about before or while Ep. 7 & 8 came out. But it's an explanation I've found to the fact that i'm apparently the only fan on earth that both loved TLJ and fully agrees with all the criticism... We'll see how it goes for Ep.9

Whill wrote:
Obi-Wan is a beloved hero.
Indeed! And indeed the Disney+ strategy makes sense, especially now during this rising age of streaming services. They could be holding on to something here, given the "mixed" response to grand theatrical productions... Series is a way of exploring the franchise with lesser financial risk and thus greater creative freedom.
I wonder how this will affect the narrative though, cause pacing is way different for a movie and a series. I want to think it will actually make it better, give more time for interesting lore details.
I still don't see where they could take the Kenobi series that would be satisfactory given the already-told story restrictions, but hey I'm no writer... Let's hope for the best. And plan for the worst Laughing
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Kenobi scripts are written. It was revealed that the show will specifically take place 8 years after RotS, thus a year before the Battle of Mimban.

Potroclo wrote:
I still don't see where they could take the Kenobi series that would be satisfactory given the already-told story restrictions, but hey I'm no writer... Let's hope for the best.

That's the spirit. I think the show will not likely deal with Luke much, at least directly. Luke is the reason Obi-Wan is there, which is a very important aspect of his character, so they may just show Luke off in the distance, as Obi-Wan looks on.

But I'm open to whatever they want to do possibly entertaining me. I'm just not drawing lines in the sand like some fans. "I have preconceived ideas that Obi-Wan does absolutely nothing but grow old in between the trilogies, therefore the mere existence of anything challenging my head canon is an abomination." That's the outrage I am reading about it. The level of prejudice is ridiculous. Their moms seriously need to restrict the basement internet.

Potroclo wrote:
i'm apparently the only fan on earth that both loved TLJ and fully agrees with all the criticism...

You are no mere mortal. Hats off to you and your fandom! I agree with a lot of the criticisms of TLJ, but not all of them. I don't hate it but I don't love it as I do most Star Wars films.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I'm not worried about the Tatooine landscape getting old and I think there is a lot of trouble for Obi-Wan to get into on Tatooine. It is the base of operations of a vile crime lord. There could be a gang turf war. Maybe the Lars are getting harassed by a protection racket and Obi-Wan has to step in to protect them. Maybe there's a local war with Tusken Raiders. Maybe the Sand People think Obi-Wan is the reincarnation of the dark warrior that killed that tribe which Anakin had slaughtered, which really emphasizes the failure of the Jedi Order and his failure with his padawan. There are just so many story possibilities. You know, Luke was wrong in characterizing Tatooine as a boring planet where nothing ever happens. That was just his whiny teen angst talking.

Total agreement on the above. I ran my SW swoop gang game for 2 years JUST on Tatooine.
It's like, look at ALL the westerns ever made. All the movies, TV shows and books; even comic books.
and that's just based around a pretty specific region and time frame of our own planet.
Tatooine has at least those elements, and more.

Quote:

And I never read the Dune prequels either but it is my understand that young Paul Atreides runs away and joins an interstellar circus. I'm pretty sure they won't do that with Luke!

Shocked
OMG.
That's worse than I could have imagined.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Whill wrote:

Total agreement on the above. I ran my SW swoop gang game for 2 years JUST on Tatooine.
It's like, look at ALL the westerns ever made. All the movies, TV shows and books; even comic books.
and that's just based around a pretty specific region and time frame of our own planet.
Tatooine has at least those elements, and more.

I think the Tatooine-based swoop campaign sounds like a lot of fun. I love Tatooine as a setting in the RPG. Virtually all campaigns I have ever ran have had an obligatory Tatooine adventure (some have had two).

My next campaign will have a setting of Tatooine for part of the adventure for the first two adventures (but there will be a three-year time jump in between them). Adventure Zero and Adventure One will feature one common setting (Jabba's Palace) but otherwise use completely different locations on the planet. However, after the second adventure, there will be no returns to Tatooine unless something goes horribly wrong in the campaign.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Kenobi TV series Reply with quote

https://www.thewrap.com/no-the-star-wars-disney-series-about-obi-wan-kenobi-has-not-been-canceled/

https://www.fatherly.com/news/obi-wan-disney-show-looking-young-luke-skywalker/

Supposedly Disney put out a casting call to cast a young Luke Skywalker. Of course this doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a big part. Leia appeared in Rogue One for only a couple seconds.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Kenobi could leave going after someone who discovered Luke and left planet to tell someone.

I like this as a scenario for the option of Obi Wan leaving the planet. Has to chase down the informant would be an interesting adventure.

There's also room for someone, maybe an Inquisitor, figuring out Obi Wan is on the planet and he has to leave to get them to follow him instead of discovering why he's actually there.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
There's also room for someone, maybe an Inquisitor, figuring out Obi Wan is on the planet and he has to leave to get them to follow him instead of discovering why he's actually there.

I like that idea. Kenobi doesn't want to leave Luke, but he may feel he has to for his safety until he eliminates the threat.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: