The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Exploring a derelict Separatist frigate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Exploring a derelict Separatist frigate Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Exploring a derelict Separatist frigate Reply with quote

I'm GMing a group, and they've been on a hunt to find a set of derelict Separatist ships. We're currently set just after the destruction of the Death Star, and in a sector where the Rebel field commander is going salvage older capital weapons if they can find them.

Well... my group found them. But one of the party members declared, "We're totally going to explore this thing before we report in."

I've got two major complications I'd like to use to make the setting interesting:

1) They set off a security measure, and two Droidekas come out of dormancy to hunt them down. They're bigger and badder than anything their hand weapons can take out, and they'll have to use their wits to either trap them or get creative with what they can jurry rig on board the ship.

2) They can't stay on the frigate for too long. There's radiation leaking out from engineering, and long-term exposure is going to get bad for them.

The only thing is, I can't really think of much that would necessarily connect those dots. I can't imagine what would necessarily compel the characters to go to engineering to discover the source of the radiation, rather than it's effects that will gradually set in. (I.E., should they find the problem, or should they all start to get curious as to why they all suddenly feel dizzy and a little weak, nauseous, have a fever, and developing a sunburn?)

Anyone have any thoughts?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, perhaps ones a techie, that wants to check in engineering to see if the ship can be salvaged, or they need to go there to turn on some power to certain places, so they have lights, and gravity.
As for the radiation thing, do they have any sort of geiger counter/sensors that could detect it?
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Exploring a derelict Separatist frigate Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I.E., should they find the problem, or should they all start to get curious as to why they all suddenly feel dizzy and a little weak, nauseous, have a fever, and developing a sunburn?

Don't forget the taste of metal in the air! IRL it's the result of pretty severe radiation but it could make for a nice subtle first clue ingame
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe have or urge the players to find out "why" the frigate is derelict, wh did the droids shut down, leave, be broken or watever.

Was it maybe a frigate meant for non droid crew....

is this long after the war......

it could be interesting of an old frigate suddenl appeard on the sensors, readings mabe a bot ambigous, now go investigate
Potroclo
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can draw some inspiration from the Katana fleet
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
maybe have or urge the players to find out "why" the frigate is derelict, wh did the droids shut down, leave, be broken or watever.

it could be interesting of an old frigate suddenl appeard on the sensors, readings mabe a bot ambigous, now go investigate

I'm imagining that this was a droid-operated Frigate on active duty when Nute Gunray gave the deactivation order from Mustifar. Without a war to fight and without much in the way of records, it went adrift.

Though that information if they pull from the logs could be an interesting tidbit for the characters. They players know what happened to end the war, but the characters would only have the Imperial propaganda. If they wanted to go through the logs to find out what it's doing here, it may be a thread for later on for attacking the Empire's version of history.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

A whoodunit like adventure.. Snagging swag on the side, is a benefit.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm imagining that this was a droid-operated Frigate on active duty when Nute Gunray gave the deactivation order from Mustifar. Without a war to fight and without much in the way of records, it went adrift.

Though that information if they pull from the logs could be an interesting tidbit for the characters. They players know what happened to end the war, but the characters would only have the Imperial propaganda. If they wanted to go through the logs to find out what it's doing here, it may be a thread for later on for attacking the Empire's version of history.

Sounds fun.

I was thinking this ship is empt then, or that any droids are not active.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the droids were shut down due to low power, so what ever the rebels bring aboard to power the ship up, winds up powering up some of the droids..
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Perhaps the droids were shut down due to low power, so what ever the rebels bring aboard to power the ship up, winds up powering up some of the droids..

Or restoring power activates the ship computers and they can find the loggs on what happened to the ship.

Maybe Rayne Jonsone sabotaged the ship at some time
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:
Or restoring power activates the ship computers and they can find the loggs on what happened to the ship.

Maybe Rayne Jonsone sabotaged the ship at some time

lol
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

This reminds me of the "The Wynkahthu Job" from Star Wars Rebels. Hondo, Azmorigan and the Ghost crew attempt salvage an Imperial container ship caught in a decaying orbit. When power is restored, so too are the sentry droids.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really wish to make it scary, see films like Event Horizon.. Try to make that environment, and feel.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
garhkal wrote:

This reminds me of the "The Wynkahthu Job" from Star Wars Rebels. Hondo, Azmorigan and the Ghost crew attempt salvage an Imperial container ship caught in a decaying orbit. When power is restored, so too are the sentry droids.

Yeah, I had the same thought about "The Wynkahthu Job."
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If you really wish to make it scary, see films like Event Horizon.. Try to make that environment, and feel.

Now that is an idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: