The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Zorro (New D6 System Game)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> Zorro (New D6 System Game) Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Zorro (New D6 System Game) Reply with quote

From a letter to kickstarter backers of the Zorro game from D6's new owners.

Let's talk some of the new and updated D6 2e mechanics! As always, this is pending final approval from West End Games, but we wanted to show you what the current trend is! Any of this might change.

Part of our goal with D6 2e was to make a new, yet familiar version of D6 that was immediately accessible to new players, while still being comfortable to experience D6 players. We're going to start with Attributes and Skills and Difficulty (which should feel very familiar) and then move into Doubling Down which is a new-ish mechanic to D6!

Attributes & Skills
Every character consists of Attributes and Skills. Attributes are innate aspects about your character, and there are 5 in the game.

Agility
Brawn
Knowledge
Perception
Charm

Agility determines your character’s grace, reflexes, balance and speed. It’s fine motor abilities, hand-eye coordination and more.

Brawn determines physical power, toughness, vitality and health. It’s pure force and brute resistance.

Knowledge represents intellect, learning, science, and the application of that knowledge to real-world situations.

Perception measures mental quickness, attention to detail and insight (both social and deductive.)

Charm represents social acumen, willpower, emotional strength and at times attractiveness (though a low-Charm characters can be physically attractive, and high-Charm characters can be less attractive.)

Each of this Attributes has 4 grouped Skills with it. These 4 skills are combined with the die code in the attribute to form the total die code.

NOTE FROM ALAN: The goal here was to trim down the Attributes to a manageable amount. Every playtest we did where we had 6 or more attributes, we got feedback regarding newer players feeling overwhelmed, unclear about the division of attributes or other sundry issues. With accessibility being a key goal, we settled on 5 attributes we felt were broad, but captured the cinematic essence of D6 2e. The game does leave room to add new attributes, new skills and to expand these lists! But these are the baseline attributes and skills we plan on having.

Agility Skills
Acrobatics
o This includes jumping, climbing, balance and more.

Marksmanship
o Ranged combat, using bows, firearms, or other weapons.

Melee
o Hand to hand combat, with weapons, unarmed attacks, or grapping.

Sleight of Hand
o Sleight of Hand includes Lockpicking, hiding small objects, and similar feats of dexterity.

Brawn Skills
Athletics
o Active feats of strength, like lifting, climbing, running, or swimming.

Intimidation
o Social aggression and threats.

Stamina
o The ability to handle forced marches, pain, disease and poison.

Throwing
o Throwing of all sorts, for sports, combat, or more.

Knowledge
Languages
o Knowing multiple languages. Speaking, writing, and more.

Medicine
o Knowledge of medical sciences, first aid, and surgery.

Scholar
o Non-scientific knowledge like art, history, philosophy, and more.

Sciences
o Biology, chemistry, geology, and similar.

Perception
Driving (or Riding/Piloting)
o This includes reflexive driving, be it carriages, boats, or riding a horse.

Investigation
o Gathering information, researching, analyzing data and creating a pattern.

Stealth
o Camouflage, Sneaking or Hiding oneself.

NOTE FROM ALAN: We put Stealth in Perception for two reasons: 1.) It was necessary to break the dominance of Agility as an attribute. Two, being aware of how you are perceived, seen and detected felt more in-tune with the cinematic style of stealth.

Survival
o Finding one’s way when lost, tracking an animal, knowing what natural foods are safe.

Charm
Command
o Social interaction based on force of Charm.

Deceive
o Lying, misleading and disguises.

Persuasion
o Debate, diplomacy, empathy and speeches.

Willpower
o The ability to with stand social or mental assaults or degradation, pain, and temptation.

When you determine your die code, you’ll take the rating of your attribute (1 through 5), and the rating of your skill (0 through 10) and add them together to form the xD part of the die code. For example, a 2 in Agility, and a 2 in Acrobatics, would result in 4D. You’d roll 4 six-sided dice and total them to determine the result of the action.

Difficulty
The Gamemaster assigns all risky actions a Difficulty Number (DN) based on how hard they are!

How Hard?

Difficulty Number (DN)

5 - Very Easy

10 - Easy

15 - Average

20 - Difficulty

25 - Very Difficult

30 - Extremely Difficult

35 - Near Impossible

Doubling Down
When an action fails, the character can double down. When a character doubles down, they narrate how they retry their efforts, and the Gamemaster will work to help them find a narratively suitable reason they can try again.

Some actions cannot be tried again (such as combat actions), but generally, the Gamemaster should work to allow players the narrative freedom to double down.

The character then rerolls their entire Die Code.

If the action fails on the retry, they gain a complication, but no Hero Point is rewarded for the complication, as it would normally be.

If the action is successful, follow the normal rules for success.
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: New D6 System Game Reply with quote

I'm not too surprised by the choice of moving from 6 to 5 Attributes, and I understand placing Stealth under Perception to balance things a bit.
The "Double Down" concept is pretty good, don't think I've seen the "retry until you succeed"-problem being solved this way previously. The core mechanics of D6 2E seems solid enough that I might even buy Zorro instead of waiting for the generic D6 System 2E to come out.

MrNexx wrote:

It's a bit pedantic, I know, but just want to point out Gallant Knight Games don't own the D6 System, they are licensed by Nocturnal Media to do the Second Edition.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the d6 rule system was open, and that they were licensed to use the WEG name?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: New D6 System Game Reply with quote

OuttaWindu wrote:
I'm not too surprised by the choice of moving from 6 to 5 Attributes, and I understand placing Stealth under Perception to balance things a bit.
The "Double Down" concept is pretty good, don't think I've seen the "retry until you succeed"-problem being solved this way previously. The core mechanics of D6 2E seems solid enough that I might even buy Zorro instead of waiting for the generic D6 System 2E to come out.

MrNexx wrote:

It's a bit pedantic, I know, but just want to point out Gallant Knight Games don't own the D6 System, they are licensed by Nocturnal Media to do the Second Edition.

Nope, I completely forgot the exact relationships while writing this, and said "welll.... either it doesn't matter or someone will take care of it." Thanks. (and I am actually being sincere, not sarcastic; text ruins everything)
OuttaWindu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I thought the d6 rule system was open, and that they were licensed to use the WEG name?

Um, I think comparing this to "DnD3.5E was open but WotC still went and made a new edition later" would be fairly apt.
Even of the D6 System rulebooks are released under OPenD6 OGL licence, it still means D6 System is still copyrighted and only the owners can go and make a second edition of it and call it so, at least that's my understanding.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... so long as the copyright lawyers have an understanding of what they're doing...

It's still connected to the official property holders, and that's pretty exciting.
Stan Shinn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to this thread, but per the law, open game content licensed under the OGL (Open Game License) can never be revoked, meaning the OGL d6 material will remain forever free. Use the 'd6' logo and any trademarks is a separate matter and that would have to be licensed, which it sounds like it was.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my PDF! I'll put some time into reading it today, if I can.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special note, to me, is the different way of handling a Wild Die when you've already succeeded.

Quote:
The Wild Die

The Wild Die represents the randomness inherent in life. The Wild Die is always one of the dice in your dice pool and you should represent it with a d6 of a different color or size.

So, in our previous example of 3D6+1, you’d roll two normal dice, and the Wild Die, and then add 1 to the total result. You must always include the Wild Die, so if you only have one die, it must be the Wild Die.

If the Wild Die comes up with a result of 2, 3, 4, or 5, just treat it as a normal die, adding it to your total as normal.

If the Wild Die comes up with a result of 6, you gain an Advantage.
If the Wild Die comes up with a 1, you suffer a Complication.

Advantage
Advantages are narrative implications that the Player can insert whenever the Wild Die rolls a 6.
When an Advantage occurs, the Player has the following options:
ӹ If the Action would be successful, and an Advantage Occurred:
ӹThe player can gain an Exceptional Success and gain one Hero Point.
ӹAn Exceptional Success allows the Hero to complete the task in a truly quick, dramatic, fashion. This might include an environmental advantage (like enemies getting tangled in a horse cart during a foot chase), or simply dealing double damage in combat.
ӹThe player should work with the GM to create a narratively appropriate
exceptional success, but creativity should be rewarded.
ӹThe player can instead have an Ordinary Success but gain 2 Hero Points.

ӹ If the Action would not be successful, but an Advantage occurred:
ӹThe player may add the result of 6 on the Wild Die, and then roll the Wild Die again. As long as you roll a 6, you keep adding the 6 and you keep rolling. If you roll anything else, you add that number to the total and stop rolling. The player can then gain 1 Hero Point.
ӹMultiple 6s on this result don’t allow for extra Advantages.

Complications
Complications are narrative implications that the GM can insert whenever the Wild Die rolls a 1.
When a Complication occurs, the GM has three options:
ӹ If the Action would be successful, but a Complication occurred:
ӹThe GM can either introduce a Complication that makes the success only a partial success, rewarding the hero with 1 Hero Point.
ӹFor example: A leap across a roof ends with the hero tangled in a drying line, or hanging from a roof edge.
ӹor the GM can cause the action to fail but reward the character with 2 Hero Points.
ӹThe leap simply fails, tumbling the hero to the street below.
ӹ If the Action would have failed and a Complication occurred:
ӹThe GM rewards the player with 1 Hero Point, and then introduces a complication that will accentuate the failure.
ӹFor example: A hero lost in the desert also realizes their canteen has been leaking and now they’re running low on water.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doubling Down
When an action fails, the character can double down. When a character doubles down, they narrate how they retry their efforts, and the GM will work to help them find a narratively suitable reason they can try again.
Some actions cannot be tried again (such as combat actions), but generally, the GM should work to allow players the narrative freedom to double down.
The character then rerolls their entire Die Code. If the action fails on the retry, they gain a Complication, but no Hero Points are rewarded for the Complication.
If the action is successful, follow the normal rules for success.

This might need to be applied carefully; sometimes, a second try is just a second try.

Quote:

Hero Points

Characters acquire Hero Points from Complications. These Hero Points can be spent in several ways:
ӹTo double the Die Code of a single roll
ӹReroll a failed roll without doubling down.
ӹTo avoid being Stunned in combat.

Hero Points carry over between sessions and can be stored by characters. No more than one Hero Point can be spent on a roll.

A couple new ways to use Force Points
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static Defenses:

Quote:

Defense Number
Each Character has two Defense numbers. These numbers are easily calculated and represent how hard a character is to hit in combat (either Melee or Ranged.)

The two defenses are:
ӹDodge: Dodge is used to avoid Ranged Attacks, surprises, and traps.
ӹParry: Parry is used to block melee attacks, get out of the way, and avoid being struck by close combat.

Each defense is calculated like so:
ӹDodge = Perception x 5, so a Perception of 2 would give a Dodge Defense of 10.
ӹParry = Agility x 5, so an Agility of 3 would give a Parry Defense of 15.

Not skills; straight ability checks. Now, Zorro d6 doesn't use Pips in the Core, but I think I would do so, and add pips to the total... so 3D+1 Perception would give a dodge of (3D*5)+(1), or 16.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you hit a target, roll your weapon’s damage dice. Then, the GM rolls Brawn dice for your target. How badly you injure the target depends on the two rolls:

ӹBrawn Roll greater than Damage Roll: Stunned.
ӹDamage Roll greater than or equal to Brawn Roll: Wounded
ӹDamage Roll greater than or equal to Brawn Roll, and Brawn Roll produced a
Complication: Mortally Wounded.

Stunned drops you prone for a round. Wounded does the same, and gives you a 1D penalty until healed (which requires medical treatment or 24 hours rest). 2nd wound incapacitates. Mortally wounded is unconscious and rolling 2d6 every round; under the current number of rounds and you are dead.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammo is strictly a narrative concern.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initiative is kinda neat. Everyone makes their rolls for their actions... and then whoever rolled highest goes first.

So, if I'm shooting Whill (sorry, Whill), and he's shooting me, we each roll Markmanship. If we both succeed, but I rolled better, then I hit. Because I hit, I stun him, at least (q.v. two posts up), meaning he doesn't get to do anything. Next round, he will roll Agility to stand up (or maybe he'll shoot me while lying down), and I'll move over to intimidate him... whoever rolls better wins.

ETA: This note below is wrong.
Note: Skills are NOT added to attributes. If I have 3D Agility and 2D Marksmanship, I roll 2D to shoot people, not 5D.

Last edited by MrNexx on Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improvement CAN be done by spending a crapton of Hero Points (there are no character-point equivalent), but the ideal is that you create an Arc of things you must accomplish to improve. The Arc must be as long as the new skill rating.

The example given:

Quote:

For example, if Don Diego wants to improve his Melee Skill, which is currently a 4D rating, he would need to create a 5 Step arc focused around his sword skills. The arc might look like this:
ӹDon Diego must acquire a new sword from the Master Blacksmith Juan Lopez
ӹDon Diego must travel to San Juan to purchase a rare book on fencing techniques from the Spanish Master of Fencing Gabriel de Alatriste
ӹDon Diego must return home, and practice in secret.
ӹDon Diego must defeat three or more enemies at once with his new blade.
ӹDon Diego must defeat a more talented swordsman in single combat.

After all these events have unfolded in the campaign, Don Diego would then increase his Melee Combat skill to 5D.

And advice for GMs

Quote:
For the Game Master
Utilizing arcs can be complicated, and often times feel like they create lots of little threads that run against the grain of your campaign. When you’re assisting players in crafting arcs, proactively work with them to meld the steps of their arcs into the ongoing narrative. It’s okay to communicate what
your plans are in advance without giving much away in order to allow a character to prepare their arc and the steps as best they can.

The majority of arcs shouldn’t be side stories but having a piece or two happen off screen can be great.

In our example above, if Don Diego’s player can’t make it to a session one night, perhaps his character can head off to San Juan off screen, thereby
advancing the arc, and moving his personal story forward, even though the character is not present in the ongoing narrative for that session.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: