The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Peripheral Vision, Blind Spots and Perception
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Peripheral Vision, Blind Spots and Perception Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Peripheral Vision, Blind Spots and Perception Reply with quote

How do you handle Perception for characters that are looking a different direction, or have their backs turned? My first thought is to treat it as partial concealment by fire arc. For example, say a human character (species matters; see below) has no Per penalty in his Front Arc, -1D in Left and Right Arcs (peripheral vision), and -4D to the Rear (no vision, just hearing).

This also opens up possibilities for non-human species with different eye placement, or tech augmentation such as helmets with rear arc cameras. A Mon Cal or Gungan, for example, might have reduced penalties in "off" arcs because of the placement of their eyes. There is also a template drifting around for a starting Mandalorian character (which is what got me thinking about this in the first place) where the armor is equipped with 360-degree camera sight, but doesn't include any real guidance as to how this would be used in gameplay.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, it depends on what kind of perception you're looking for. Peripheral vision excels and detecting movement and light shifts. That's it's job. The more central focused vision can give you more acuity to detail and color. So, if you're talking about studied identification out of your peripheral vision, then there should be an increase in the difficulty. But if you're talking about a penalty to detect motion or light change, then it sounds like its creating mechanic for mechanic's sake.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more for detection than identification, but that sort of detail is definitely important. I'm mostly looking at it from a perspective of how someone's Sneak roll would be affected by the facing of their target, since sneak attacks would obviously be more effective against someone looking away.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just usually gone with a -1d penalty in the perpherary, -2d in the rear.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping track of exactly which directions each character is looking throughout the entire round is a level of detail well beyond what I see in typical play. Creating a mechanic just adds detail for little benefit. For the rare occasions that something like this would even come up in play a simple ad hoc penalty or increase in the search or perception difficulty is sufficient.

If the intent is to handle species with some sort of multidirectional or omnidirectional vision I'd treat that as a species bonus for search or visual perception.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think tracking where all the characters are looking is going to add a cumbersome detail to combat tracking, which isn't exactly a lean mechanic in this system.

Also, I think that it's a bit odd to ask a player to roll fewer dice when they're unaware of the attack. How often do you tell someone, "Make a perception roll, oh, and take 4D off. Why? Oh... you'll find out in a minute." I can only imagine it to be a jarring play experience to feel like you have a skill or attribute neutered for reasons that will play out in a moment in the scene.

Also, I think of Perception as an amalgimation of all of the character's senses. They don't have a 3D for sight, a 4D for hearing, etc. They may as well roll their skill check, and perhaps hear something they wouldn't have otherwise seen. If we were to cap their all sense based on the location of the sneak attack (i.e., using a -4D to represent only hearing and no sight), it would have been pretty much impossible for the Scout Trooper in RotJ to hear the snapping twig of Han's approach. They only have a Perception of 2D. This houserule would render them effectively deaf for their lack of ability to see Han.

I could see adding a sneak bonus to someone based on their relative position. I.E., if someone is sneaking up behind a PC, give them a static +3, or +5 to give them a little extra edge.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active vs passive perception.

Hmm interesting thing I have yet to dwabble with but I do actually use something similar.

If you are unable to use the search/investigation skill for detecting stuff I found that a attibute check, would be my route to go.

Now it will make things harder, but at the same a perception 4D character is and should be more natually alert than a perception 2D character. So roll a perception attribute roll, yes it makes it hard, but then again how easy is it to detect things that is sneaking up.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a skill called 'Notice' .
Based on Perception attribute.
Every character gets it as a free skill.

It is used for passive awareness.
A character can improve it if they train themselves to be at heightened awareness of their surroundings.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:

A character can improve it if they train themselves to be at heightened awareness of their surroundings.

Doesn't Search already do this?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, I think tracking where all the characters are looking is going to add a cumbersome detail to combat tracking, which isn't exactly a lean mechanic in this system.

Yes, but there will be some circumstances in which the direction one or two characters happen to be looking may be a factor.

Quote:
Also, I think that it's a bit odd to ask a player to roll fewer dice when they're unaware of the attack. How often do you tell someone, "Make a perception roll, oh, and take 4D off. Why? Oh... you'll find out in a minute." I can only imagine it to be a jarring play experience to feel like you have a skill or attribute neutered for reasons that will play out in a moment in the scene.

So apply the penalty the other direction, by adding it to the Sneak roll of the opposing character.

Quote:
Also, I think of Perception as an amalgamation of all of the character's senses. They don't have a 3D for sight, a 4D for hearing, etc. They may as well roll their skill check, and perhaps hear something they wouldn't have otherwise seen. If we were to cap their all sense based on the location of the sneak attack (i.e., using a -4D to represent only hearing and no sight), it would have been pretty much impossible for the Scout Trooper in RotJ to hear the snapping twig of Han's approach. They only have a Perception of 2D. This houserule would render them effectively deaf for their lack of ability to see Han.

Unless Han suffered a Wild Dice mishap on his Sneak roll, which is the other possible explanation. I don't mind reducing the penalty to something more appropriate; I just threw out -4D to get the ball rolling.

And I agree that Perception is an amalgamation, but that supports my point, too. Seeing as how a human's primary sense is sight, and that sense is inherently directional in nature, the amalgamated nature of Perception dictates that the character's Perception will be more effective in some directions than others, and this is controlled by which direction the character is facing. So, a character's full Perception value would be applicable if they had something within their line of sight, with reduced Perception otherwise.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've just usually gone with a -1d penalty in the periphery, -2d in the rear.

How do you think this should work w/r/t cheshire's info on detection vs. identification?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Keeping track of exactly which directions each character is looking throughout the entire round is a level of detail well beyond what I see in typical play. Creating a mechanic just adds detail for little benefit. For the rare occasions that something like this would even come up in play a simple ad hoc penalty or increase in the search or perception difficulty is sufficient.

Unless it involves an opposed roll, such as with Search vs. Sneak. And I'm not planning on tracking facing for every character in play in every round, just the occasional instance where a PC is waiting to attempt his Sneak roll until the NPC guard's back is turned, and similar occurrences.

Quote:
If the intent is to handle species with some sort of multidirectional or omnidirectional vision I'd treat that as a species bonus for search or visual perception.

I considered that, but it isn't really granular enough to get the intended effect. What if the individual senses provided full-arc coverage, but aren't individually all that sensitive? Assuming this house rule doesn't pan out, it'd be more appropriate to go with an unpenalized Search rule in addition to the character's declared actions that round.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Search is ACtive. Not passive.

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I've just usually gone with a -1d penalty in the periphery, -2d in the rear.

How do you think this should work w/r/t cheshire's info on detection vs. identification?

Drop it to -1, -1d for 'detect'..
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:

Search is ACtive. Not passive.

Yes. That's the way I use it.

Someone who wants to search for something hidden uses their Search skill, which they may or may not have. It finds things, which can be an important skill.

Notice is a 'free' skill that I give to all characters. While it can be improved, it doesn't have to be.
As passive, the players never say "I want to roll my Notice".
It's only used when the GM has something that might attract the attention of someone. The difficulty of the roll is always concealed, and it is sometimes asked to be rolled for no reason, just to keep players on their toes.

If the roll is successful it might reveal something like a shadow showing someone hiding behind a tree nearby, or that a red speeder has circled that same block for the third time, or that the guy they are talking to has a peculiar tattoo (that might have no other significance...or it might come up again later.)

You could get the same effect from just rolling the Perception attribute in the same manner; the only difference is that as a skill, it can be improved for those characters that want to be very astute at noticing important details.
Attributes, as we know, can be very difficult to improve.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem simpler to just allow Search to have a Passive function. It's not like it's so different that it needs a completely separate skill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: